Wild caught salmon Q&A

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Wild caught salmon Q&A

Post by Physics Guy »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:21 am
What's wrong with them not eating fish?
If we don't eat fish, they will multiply unchecked until they displace so much sea water that the oceans flood our continents and the fish rule supreme.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:39 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
If we don't eat fish, they will multiply unchecked until they displace so much sea water that the oceans flood our continents and the fish rule supreme.
Classic case of eat or be eaten.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I read all the replies, thanks! We parted ways with our large gas grill this past fall. Only have a small George Foreman. Will that work or what should I do?

Won't have another grill until summer most likely.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:39 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
I wish this fantasy was closer to the truth for trout in mountain streams. My fish eating has mainly been trout I caught. I enjoy eating them. I have limited expertise with salmon which I have purchased at the grocery. I approach it as bit larger trout. frying pan and butter. I suspect baking would work well.

But trout are not overflowing the streams. In fact they are , outside of some wilderness areas utterly dependent upon hatchery birth and growth to then be spread about the streams. I have wondered if the fish have forgotten how to reproduce in the wild. they have not done well. Catch and release has been a spreading idea for maintaining fish population. I have a hard time justifying in my mind hooking fish without the predatory justification.Even though I love time on a stream and tossing a fly at a likely target I also like to eat a few of the fish.

It might be ignorance on my part but this maple syrup idea sounds horrible. But I have not tried it. I leave the Salmon alone for fishing. I tell myself the local Indians should have them. Besides one salmon chased me out of the trout stream in a most aggressive manner.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:55 am
I have wondered if the fish have forgotten how to reproduce in the wild.
Dunking them in soy perhaps has demasculinized those trout. They need to tune into Tucker Carlson.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:31 am
I read all the replies, thanks! We parted ways with our large gas grill this past fall. Only have a small George Foreman. Will that work or what should I do?

Won't have another grill until summer most likely.
Some friends of ours poach it -- wrap in aluminum foil with sliced lemon and onions. It's delicious.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.