Jordan Peterson

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Jordan Peterson

Post by huckelberry »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:13 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:12 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I will fight for everyone's right to equal treatment, not matter your race, color, or sexual orientation. Everyone deserves the same baseline respect. What I won't do is fight for anyone to get special treatment.
Amen.
It sounds like you both agree (mostly?) with Jordan Peterson on pronouns, the issue that gave him fame.It is possible that a relatively reasonable idea about pronouns is used by Peterson to advance fear of the postmodern Marxists about to destroy everything.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 pm
It sounds like you both agree (mostly?) with Jordan Peterson on pronouns, the issue that gave him fame.It is possible that a relatively reasonable idea about pronouns is used by Peterson to advance fear of the postmodern Marxists about to destroy everything.
I agree with the quoted portion. Nevertheless, I am happy to address people in the way they wish to be addressed. These days I generally avoid third person pronouns as an easy way never to make a mistake. I just use the person's name. I really can't afford the trouble in my profession that would follow the accusation of misgendering someone.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:56 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 pm
I agree with the quoted portion. Nevertheless, I am happy to address people in the way they wish to be addressed. These days I generally avoid third person pronouns as an easy way never to make a mistake. I just use the person's name. I really can't afford the trouble in my profession that would follow the accusation of misgendering someone.
KIshkumen, your strategy makes sense. It is too bad the climate now is such that a simple, opps sorry for the mistake, may not cover the trouble.

Do you find these days that there are many students who wish to be neither male or female? The local college is pretty liberal and secular. There has long been visible lesbian couples but I have not noticed students avoiding a male or female distinction. The campus has had mixed male female dorms for decades (meaning, I am not sure)

I look about the world and see little change in the pattern of people being either male or female and liking it that way. Specific roles and customs change (and have had many variations in the past or different cultures to my understanding)
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

KIshkumen, your strategy makes sense. It is too bad the climate now is such that a simple, opps sorry for the mistake, may not cover the trouble.

Do you find these days that there are many students who wish to be neither male or female? The local college is pretty liberal and secular. There has long been visible lesbian couples but I have not noticed students avoiding a male or female distinction. The campus has had mixed male female dorms for decades (meaning, I am not sure)

I look about the world and see little change in the pattern of people being either male or female and liking it that way. Specific roles and customs change (and have had many variations in the past or different cultures to my understanding)
I am not sure that it wouldn’t cover a mistake. Most times it would, no doubt. But I have seen faculty in the hot seat enough to make me wary of making mistakes that attract negative attention.

I would, of course, never deliberately treat anyone disrespectfully in my professional life, but I know that certain narcissists are looking for gotchas. I recently discovered that a Black activist was spreading stories about my department because we had held an event at a former plantation. We did so because the conference was on the topic of slavery—not the time one would avoid but rather seek out opportunities to confront the issue. Nevertheless, this person called us out by name at several speaking engagements as though we had done something extremely offensive.

That is the kind of nonsense I seek to avoid.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:04 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:56 pm

Annually at work we are to ask patients about their sexual orientation.
The options are:
Lesbian, gay, homosexual
Bisexual
Straight, heterosexual
Queer
Don’t know
Other option
Choose not to comment

I have found that several of the patients who identify as homosexual do not like that this is asked of them.

The most common replies are:
Straight
“I’m a man”
Homosexual
Lesbian

Never had anyone quibble over pronouns
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Holy crap, Jordan Peterson claims ANTIFA members are "worse than animals" and then says they're lashing out at God for the crime of being born like Cain did to Able. He said at least animals kill for the purpose of getting food, but ANTIFA apparently kills indiscriminately for no reason. Not sure who ANTIFA has actually killed.

WTF?

Then he begins to break out in tears. This is the "self help guru" so many Right Wingers are promoting as an expert on just about anything.

https://youtu.be/-oRyUjMw_1A?t=111
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18