Jordan Peterson

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Jordan Peterson

Post by Vēritās »

Some of you may have heard of this guy as he's been gaining popularity on social media as a regular guest on numerous podcasts sponsoring several Right Wingish ideas like COVID skepticism, anti-Wokeness, transgenderism etc. He's a conservative darling to say the least and he's appeared on Ben Shapiro and Joe Rogan probably a couple dozen times over the past few years and lately he's been butting heads with our own Maklelan who has been debunking several of his Bible related claims as of late on Twitter. JP isn't liking that at all because he's usually come out as the winner in most of his debates but it seems he's met his match.

https://Twitter.com/dburnett51/status/1 ... 77888?s=20

https://Twitter.com/maklelan/status/163 ... 11265?s=20

https://Twitter.com/MattThiessenNT/stat ... 05410?s=20
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
huckelberry
God

Re: Jordan Peterson

Post by huckelberry »

I have checked Jordan Peterson out from time to time and have had mixed reactions to him. He is sharp and given to questionable extremes.

I saw recently that he decided he was the one to explain true Christianity to the Pope. Jordan has created a sort of myth wisdom for personal growth version of Christianity. It has some sense but leaves out a lot which I see here Maklelan is pointing out.

Twitter I find for reactions has a great garbage pile of knee jerk one liners from all directions adding up to very little .

Some guy thinks social justice was invented by Marx. Hard to be more ignorant on the subject.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Good for Mak.

Rumor I heard was Peterson went off the deep end after his induced coma to treat a Benzo addiction.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/31/jordan-pe ... to-benzos/

Benzo addiction confirmed.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Peterson is a mediocre intellect who realized you can make tens of millions of dollars telling fundamentalist Christians that they're smart.

No integrity. He doesn't even believe the nonsense he spouts.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

FB_IMG_1678781484705.jpg
FB_IMG_1678781484705.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 522 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Peterson strikes me as a wannabe cult leader. His personality reminds me of Philip Seymour Hoffman's character in The Master in that he freaks out if anyone dares challenge him by pointing out how stupid his ideas are.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:56 pm
Peterson strikes me as a wannabe cult leader. His personality reminds me of Philip Seymour Hoffman's character in The Master in that he freaks out if anyone dares challenge him by pointing out how stupid his ideas are.
I have seen little of him in the past two or three years years. I understand he has not been well. Is this freak out business a recent development? I am not familiar with him doing anything of the sort you mention. In the past he has been able to maintain his balance while taking all sorts of attacks and disagreements.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:15 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:56 pm
I have seen little of him in the past two or three years years. I understand he has not been well. Is this freak out business a recent development? I am not familiar with him doing anything of the sort you mention. In the past he has been able to maintain his balance while taking all sorts of attacks and disagreements.
"Freak out" in this context is a euphemism for "not handling it well."
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

"Everything I don't like is WOKE"

I like the humor of this observation. I am sympathetic with Bill Marr about woke, it is given to bad extremes. On the other hand it has been reversed into a dummy to hate by those devoted to keeping asleep about some realities.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:31 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:15 pm
"Freak out" in this context is a euphemism for "not handling it well."
Some Schmo, of course that is what freak out would refer to. I am still wondering why you would have this image the opposite of mine. I realize that it could be completely a result of the fact I am thinking of debates and conflicts some four years ago. I understand he has been unwell in past couple years. What sort of freak out are you speaking of? Four years ago he could keep his cool under all sorts of bad weather.