A Trans War Is Targeting Tomboys Like My Daughter

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Pious Claptrap
Nursery

A Trans War Is Targeting Tomboys Like My Daughter

Post by Pious Claptrap »

I thank God every day that the 1980s were around when my tomboy daughter was growing up so that she had the opportunity to have a manly upbringing without ever questioning whether or not she should have been a female. If she had come of age in the last ten years, I have no doubt in my mind that she would have fallen for the trap that the transgender movement has created for young girls who are attracted to things that are traditionally associated with guys, leading them to believe that they are in fact male.

https://compactmag.com/article/the-trans-war-on-tomboys is a wonderful article that explains just how far we as a society have deteriorated to the point that we are willing to mutilate women by convincing them they are actually men, rather than waiting to see how their life turns out by just waiting to see who they become once they have matured and lived their life.

Article.... in case you don't want to click on the link:

"The girl in the photograph is around 10 or 11. She’s wearing beige chinos, a sweatshirt, and purple Converse sneakers. She’s crouching down in the grass by a stone wall, and her hair is some sort of a messy layered mullet. She is healthy and smiling in a relaxed way, with wonky teeth too large for her mouth. Above all, she looks like a boy.

I am the girl in the picture. I don’t know exactly when it was taken, but it’s from around 1991. I posted it on Twitter in response to a tweet by Bev Jackson, one of the cofounders of LGB Alliance, a UK organization that campaigns for lesbian, gay, and bisexual rights. Jackson wrote, “Let’s all do our best to promote positive images of tomboys.”

I know why Jackson said this. It was totally normal, until quite recently, for girls to be boyish without interference. Some grew up to be gay or bisexual; many didn’t. Quite a few girls dressed boyishly and had interests typically associated with boys—machines, adventure, Dungeons & Dragons, football—but no one had a problem with it. No one would have dreamed of suggesting that such behavior indicated that the tomboy was really a boy trapped in a girl’s body. In fact, no one said anything about it at all.

Though I am now middle-aged, this wasn’t a very long time ago. Of course, it is always tempting to imagine that one’s childhood coincided with the perfecting of history. But honestly, it is hard to imagine a more emancipated moment. As children and teenagers, we experienced what can only be described as a kind of positive indifference, and at the end of history, no less. We were free to wear what we liked, play whatever games we wanted, and hang out with children of the opposite sex—as long as we were home for dinner.

Between then and now, however, something sinister has occurred: an elevation of the importance of gender over character, identity over becoming. Today, the boyish girl is in danger of being told she was “born in the wrong body,” and whisked off to a gender clinic to begin the journey from puberty blockers to breast removal to reproductive surgery and, ultimately, infertility. Setting children on this path—one that many regret—is an obvious, grotesque harm. We have taken a terribly wrong turn in allowing pharmaceutical companies to construct lifelong patients out of healthy children.

Back then, we were instead encouraged to develop our interests and character in whatever direction we chose, regardless of sex. Grunge was great, its downbeat heart aside, as we could all just wear a band T-shirt, a checked flannel, jeans, and boots. When Kurt Cobain wore a dress, he did so not because he imagined himself “really” a woman, as some claim today, but because he knew how arbitrary gendered clothing was. There was no denying reality—everybody had a particular kind of body and that brought with it certain truths. As early teens at secondary school, we were separated into boys and girls one afternoon for a brisk overview of the facts of adolescence. It was more amusing than traumatic, and most of us knew it all (at least in theory) already.

We never imagined that we could opt out of our bodies. The idea that one could “change sex” or pause puberty would have seemed incomprehensible then. Besides, we wanted to grow up. And even then we knew that this entailed confronting suffering. To be an adult means accepting loss, pain, and responsibility. Our culture has become increasingly unable to do this. We now live in an infantile, padded world where everyone is treated as fragile and in need of protection from potential upset. But this cosseting is more harmful than what it seeks to prevent. It places experience itself on hold, the very process that allows everyone to understand that life is frequently unfair and upsetting, but also shows them how to deal with it.

Children must be allowed to grow up without having their normal behavior pathologized. Adults must face up to their duty to protect children and teenagers from their own desires and not to imagine that their children know best. There was a time when without interference, though not without guidance, we were permitted to become adults, with passions of all kinds. We must recover that time.

I grew out of being a tomboy and became more feminine in my early 20s, but if you’d have asked me at 11 if I wanted to be a boy, I would have said, “Yes.” What would have been a youthful whim, based on nothing more than identifying with my friends, would today perhaps be seen as my staking out some deeper truth about this mysterious contemporary idol named “gender.” But idols are merely gaudy distractions. The subject of the photograph may seem boyish, but that person was a girl then, and is a woman now, and this reality is beautiful to me."
Some Schmo
God

Re: A Trans War Is Targeting Tomboys Like My Daughter

Post by Some Schmo »

Pious Claptrap wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:20 pm
...we are willing to mutilate women by convincing them they are actually men, rather than waiting to see how their life turns out by just waiting to see who they become once they have matured and lived their life.
Yeah, it's like imposing a religion on your kids rather than letting them grow up to see who they become. It's child abuse.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Pious Claptrap wrote:
I thank God every day that the 1980s were around when my tomboy daughter was growing up so that she had the opportunity to have a manly upbringing without ever questioning whether or not she should have been a female. If she had come of age in the last ten years, I have no doubt in my mind that she would have fallen for the trap that the transgender movement has created for young girls who are attracted to things that are traditionally associated with guys, leading them to believe that they are in fact male.
We must've lived during different 1980s.

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:34 pm
Pious Claptrap wrote:
We must've lived during different 1980s.

Seriously.
...It was totally normal, until quite recently, for girls to be boyish without interference... Quite a few girls dressed boyishly and had interests typically associated with boys—machines, adventure, Dungeons & Dragons, football—but no one had a problem with it...
Not in my experience.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

HRM. WHAT OTHER POSTER HASN'T YET FIGURE OUT THE damned QUOTE FEATURE??? HRMMMMM.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Elton John, Queen, the singer for Dead or Alive, etc.

The manly 80's huh? Hell even the rock bands wore makeup and had huge girly hair.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Or were we talking about the 1880’s?

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

What are the chances that A-Mike didn't listen to GLAM rock bands in the 80s?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:04 pm
Or were we talking about the 1880’s?

That dude looks like Putin.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.