doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Stats prove when women are safer

Post by doubtingthomas »

The available data shows that a large majority of sexual assault perpetrators are young males. It's perplexing why society holds reservations against men dating much younger women, when available statistics indicate that young women might actually be safer dating an older man than a young one.

It's true that young women often date young men, but it's also true, according to studies about college, that sexual assault is underreported among young people. It is well known that young men (defined here as those in their late teens and 20s) tend to have stronger impulses and are more prone to impulsive behaviors. This is supported by studies showing that 46% of sexual assault perpetrators are under 25, which could mean that women are safer with men over 30. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11995600/

There seems to be no evidence suggesting that average men over 29 are more dangerous than average young men. The concerns about older men taking advantage of younger women come mostly from Hollywood.

Nowadays, most women are independent, so I don't see why an independent 20 year old woman dating a 30 year old man would be a concern.

Topic has been merged into this megathread per reasoning expressed by mods on 3/16/2023. -cp-
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Re: Stats prove when women are safer

Post by Gadianton »

so I don't see why an independent 20 year old woman dating a 30 year old man would be a concern
I don't either. I doubt many people do. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if people are concerned, it matters if it's legal, which it is. So if a 60-year-old weirdo can convince an 18 year-old dependent and immature girl to shack up with him, then it's just as legal as your scenario, and people will have to find a way to deal with their concerns.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Didn't reàd much. I assumed being an incel was something from within. Like being asexual. This thread suggests it might just be that the person who is an incel is an incel because they don't know how to or haven't had the opportunity to date but want to.

Don't know where all the data comes from. Finding someone attractive to look at and becoming attracted to someone is very different. Every wonder why "ugly" people get laid? Probably something to do with their personality. You can be the best looking man on the planet and women would still avoid you if your personality is crap.

One of biggest turn off is a guy that feels sorry for himself and talks about how no one wants them. Neediness isn't attractive either.

ETA: is it law that 20 year olds can't date younger? I think 20 year olds can date 19 and mature 18 year olds. Any younger would be not appropriate.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 pm
The available data shows that a large majority of sexual assault perpetrators are young males. It's perplexing why society holds reservations against men dating much younger women, when available statistics indicate that young women might actually be safer dating an older man than a young one.

It's true that young women often date young men, but it's also true, according to studies about college, that sexual assault is underreported among young people. It is well known that young men (defined here as those in their late teens and 20s) tend to have stronger impulses and are more prone to impulsive behaviors. This is supported by studies showing that 46% of sexual assault perpetrators are under 25, which could mean that women are safer with men over 30. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11995600/
Thomas: A couple of points.

1) You did not read the article you referrence.

2) Perusing the abstract, it's pretty clear your linked article doesn't say what you suggest that it does.

Please stop doing this. Express whatever opinion you want, but, for the love of god, stop trying to pretend that your BS stuff is backed up by research.

Age as a differential characteristic of rapists, pedophiles, and sexual sadists

Robert Dickey, David Nussbaum, Kelley Chevolleau, Hannah Davidson

Abstract

In this study, we investigated the role of age in three categories of 168 sex offenders, including 53 rapists, 62 pedophiles, and 53 sadists. On the basis of the match between requisites of completing each type of sexual offense, we hypothesized that rapists would be less represented in the older age group, whereas pedophilic and sexually sadistic offenders would show a more muted decline with age. This hypothesis was supported by the data, clearly a showing smaller number of rapists in the over 40 group relative to the number of pedophiles and sadists (p = 0.0009.) Further examination of the files eliminated the alternate explanation ascribing this pattern to lack of opportunity in older rapists because of incarceration. These results suggest that age over 40 may mitigate incidence of recidivism in rapists, but not in pedophiles or sexual sadists. Approximately one third of the sexual sadists had committed either first- or second-degree murder, whereas none of the nonsadistic rapists or pedophiles had these crimes on their records. The data further justify categorization of sex offenders into nonsadistic rapist, sadistic rapist, and pedophilic offenders in future research to enhance precision in delineating demographic characteristics and putative causal explanations for sexual offending.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:03 pm

2) Perusing the abstract, it's pretty clear your linked article doesn't say what you suggest that it does
we hypothesized that rapists would be less represented in the older age group, whereas pedophilic and sexually sadistic offenders would show a more muted decline with age. This hypothesis was supported by the data, clearly a showing smaller number of rapists in the over 40 group
It's the same point. The study saying that 46% of sexual assault perpetrators are under 25 is this one.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _for_Women
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:46 pm
"The highly reliable blog, the medium, has some interesting words, "Dear Men Who Date Much Younger Women: It's Disgusting"

I'll not rush to read the paper. Look, DT, there are a handful of people posting in SP. World events typically get the most discussion going. There are lots of issues and problem in the world that will never be addressed here. There are lots of people in the world harboring anger and resentment, and lashing out. I imagine that if a woman came to this forum in full social-justice war mode melting down over men dating women 10 years younger than they are, and calling them pedos, that the reception to such a person would be about as warm as the reception to your antics.

In general, however, I don't think the "feminist" bashing of men through whatever outlets they do this have the freight-train momentum going that the man-sphere does.
The idea men shouldn't date women under 25 is very popular.
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:16 pm

ETA: is it law that 20 year olds can't date younger? I think 20 year olds can date 19 and mature 18 year olds. Any younger would be not appropriate.
And people shouldn't shame men who date 20 years olds.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

And people shouldn't shame men who date 20 years olds.
Men who date 20-year-olds don't give a crap what people think or say. It might be different for little boys who happen to be in their 30s or forties and believes society owes them something.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:29 pm
Morley wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:03 pm

2) Perusing the abstract, it's pretty clear your linked article doesn't say what you suggest that it does

It's the same point. The study saying that 46% of sexual assault perpetrators are under 25 is this one.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _for_Women
So in India a woman is more likely to be sexually assaulted in a public place by a person they did not know who is 25 years old or younger than a male over the age of 25?

Ok.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:47 pm

Men who date 20-year-olds don't give a crap what people think or say.

True, but shaming men who date women in their 20s is a strategy to encourage women to avoid older men. The number of young women refusing to date older men is rapidly increasing.
Gadianton wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:47 pm
It might be different for little boys who happen to be in their 30s or forties and believes society owes them something.
:roll:

Or maybe society should stay out of our dating life.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:50 pm

So in India a woman is more likely to be sexually assaulted in a public place by a person they did not know who is 25 years old or younger than a male over the age of 25?

Ok.
No idea, but in the US, a woman is more likely to be raped by a man under 30.