doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 pm
Sure you did.
Why don't you say something about this instead?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=158662
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Re: backlash over 31-year age gap

Post by doubtingthomas »

I honestly would like to know what Doc, Gadianton, and Dr Exiled think about this.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:59 pm
"backlash over 31-year age gap"
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mar ... 02492.html

To put things in context, Ortega is 21 years old, and the character she plays is an 18 year old University student. Many people were outraged about a certain scene, even though it involved two adults—both in real life and in the story. I'm not sure why people would be outraged about a movie; it's just a movie.

However, there was no outrage about Euphoria, a series in which many high school characters (all boys) exposed their genitals. Who, in their right mind, wouldn't see such a glaring double standard? "HBO's Euphoria Flashes 30 Penises on Screen in One Episode Alone" https://www.menshealth.com/entertainmen ... sex-drugs/

In real life, the vast majority of cases involving sexual intercourse between teachers and students are female teachers with boys cases. I suspect that the vast majority of cases involving heterosexual intercourse between adults and underage teens are cougars and boys cases.

However, nobody points that out; society would rather shame men who pursue relationships with young adults.

This thread seriously doesn't belong to the mega thread.
It seriously does. viewtopic.php?p=2827800#p2827800
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:45 pm

What does weed and cancer have to do with mating habits?

What do illegal relationships between female teachers and students have anything to do with my concerns about modern dating?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:23 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:45 pm
What does weed and cancer have to do with mating habits?

What do illegal relationships between female teachers and students have anything to do with my concerns about modern dating?
The post I made the above comment about does not address female teachers and students or cancer. It falls squarely within the description in the link I posted.
Res Ipsa wrote:DT, you started a new mega thread yesterday and, at your request, I combined all the threads you've recently started on the general topic of mating and dating habits of young women. This thread reads like a continuation of that topic, combined with personal grievances over the fact that people disagreed with you in that thread. Please do not start new threads that are related to or are continuations of issues discussed in your mega thread.

On a number of occasions, you have attempted to evade having a thread moved by purporting to start a thread on a topic outside the scope of the mega thread when the actual substance of the thread is within the scope of the megathread. We have merged those threads into the megathread and will continue to do so.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:38 pm
On a number of occasions, you have attempted to evade having a thread moved by purporting to start a thread on a topic outside the scope of the mega thread when the actual substance of the thread is within the scope of the megathread. We have merged those threads into the megathread and will continue to do so.
You somehow manage to conclude that nearly every thread I start is about the dating habits of young women or a personal grievance. Whatever. I can't beat your confirmation bias. Most of the things I post have nothing to do with personal problems.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:42 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:38 pm

You somehow manage to conclude that nearly every thread I start is about the dating habits of young women or a personal grievance. Whatever. I can't beat your confirmation bias. Most of the things I post have nothing to do with personal problems.
It's because nearly every thread you start is about the same general subject matter. This is why your threads should be confined to the mega-thread. Why does that bother you? Is it because you wish to have every thread here to be about the dating habits of young women with respect to older men? You do realize that there are other posters here that want to discuss other subjects, right?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

DT wrote:As you said, we have to compare oranges to oranges. There's no harm when a 26 year old dates a 17 year old, as long as the relationship is healthy and consensual. There's also no direct harm when someone smokes pot, at least no one else gets directly harmed.

So, it's a double standard to be concerned about the legality of one thing, but not the other.
The bolded part is circular reasoning. There's no harm when jumping off of a cliff, as long as the person is safe and healthy upon landing. You need to learn some basic reasoning skills before you'll have a chance of convincing anyone of anything on this forum. At your present skill level, you'd have difficulty convincing me that Trump shouldn't be president.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

To put things in context, Ortega is 21 years old, and the character she plays is an 18 year old University student. Many people were outraged about a certain scene, even though it involved two adults—both in real life and in the story. I'm not sure why people would be outraged about a movie; it's just a movie.
People have a right to be outraged at things they find immoral in movies. My parents were outraged by any sex and cursing in movies. The professional reviewers -- the liberal intellectuals -- shot down Miller's girl for being lame, not for being immoral. The fact the creators even made the movie shows that in general, Hollywood believes society is intrigued by the idea of an older guy with a younger girl. Plus, from what I gathered, the young girl is chasing the older guy, strongly implying the relationship is consensual.
However, there was no outrage about Euphoria, a series in which many high school characters (all boys) exposed their genitals. Who, in their right mind, wouldn't see such a glaring double standard?
How do you know if the girl viewers who were "grossed out" by Miller's Girls weren't grossed out by Euphoria?

There are so many other issues here it would be impossible compare the two movies. For instance, Jenna Ortega appears to have been a Disney kid actor -- it's not really hard to imagine her young girl fans being shocked and grossed out. And the guy was a lame character in The Hobbit. Type-casting appears to be the broader issue in this example.
However, nobody points that out; society would rather shame men who pursue relationships with young adults.
I'm pretty sure it's damn easy to find movies where a high school boy has a relationship with his older teacher.
This thread seriously doesn't belong to the mega thread.
Yes it does, you have a one-track mind.

Your persecution complex is lame and pathetic.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:32 am

The bolded part is circular reasoning. There's no harm when jumping off of a cliff, as long as the person is safe and healthy upon landing.
But that can be true. There's probably nothing wrong with base jumping, as long as the individuals understand the risks involved, they should be free to try it. If they land safely, then it was a great adventure.
Gadianton wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:14 am
Hollywood believes society is intrigued by the idea of an older guy with a younger girl. Plus, from what I gathered, the young girl is chasing the older guy, strongly implying the relationship is consensual.
But that's probably not the case anymore. You have Freeman (the actor in the film) saying that they don't endorse large age gap relationships and that "It's not great". As I have said before, a lot of people in society are now against large age gaps, especially if the woman is under 25.

Sadly, a lot of people are discouraging young women from dating older men, and there's some evidence that it's working.
Gadianton wrote:
How do you know if the girl viewers who were "grossed out" by Miller's Girls weren't grossed out by Euphoria?
No idea, can you show me some articles saying that people were outraged about the penises in Euphoria? Some evangelical Christians were probably outraged about the sex and nudity, but you probably won't find liberals being outraged about the HS characters showing their penises.
Gadianton wrote:
Plus, from what I gathered, the young girl is chasing the older guy, strongly implying the relationship is consensual.
But it's not as common as it used to, it's becoming less common. You won't find a lot of new movies about older men with women under 25.