doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 pm
You can (with help) disassemble it from the inside. But I'm not going to bang my head against it anymore.
I came back to argue that young women are safer when dating older men compared to men their own age. I said nothing about my dating life, or my lack of success.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm
Still, I wouldn't give anyone a high five for dating a 17 year old when they are 26, even as a fantasy. Most people would think that was creepy and inappropriate.
Do you have any statistical evidence of that? I suspect it's just your inner circle, I think most people would be fine with that. I've had this same conversation with other atheists, no one outside of this board was outraged.

Dr. Exiled. I know a hook when I see one. That's a hook. You are on a 120 post thread with more of the same. Don't fall for the hooks.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
You can (with help) disassemble it from the inside. But I'm not going to bang my head against it anymore.
I came back to argue that young women are safer when dating older men compared to men their own age. I said nothing about my dating life, or my lack of success.
Yet another non-responsive reply. :roll:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Dr Exiled wrote:
Still, I wouldn't give anyone a high five for dating a 17 year old when they are 26, even as a fantasy. Most people would think that was creepy and inappropriate.
Do you have any statistical evidence of that? I suspect it's just your inner circle, I think most people would be fine with that. I've had this same conversation with other atheists, no one outside of this board was outraged.
Since you asked, the classic formula is that you take your age, divide it by 2, and then add 7. That is the youngest you are allowed to date. So if you are 26, the youngest you can date is 26/2+7 = 20.

Here is a study about it:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/Brian Laundrie ... d-you-date

In the study, they asked men of different ages what is the youngest age they’d consider marrying or having a serious relationship with. It found that:
Men are basically operating by the rule for minimum age preferences for marital relationships (blue bars) and serious dating relationships (yellow bars). Those age preferences consistently hover around the values denoted by the rule (the black line).
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:06 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 pm
Not a problem. Should that event arise I shall whip thee forth and with (forthwith?) with my trusty fedora! 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heh. The fedora don't play. ;)

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Analytics wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:31 pm
Since you asked, the classic formula is that you take your age, divide it by 2, and then add 7. That is the youngest you are allowed to date. So if you are 26, the youngest you can date is 26/2+7 = 20.

Here is a study about it:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/Brian Laundrie ... d-you-date

In the study, they asked men of different ages what is the youngest age they’d consider marrying or having a serious relationship with. It found that:
Men are basically operating by the rule for minimum age preferences for marital relationships (blue bars) and serious dating relationships (yellow bars). Those age preferences consistently hover around the values denoted by the rule (the black line).
I must commend you for sharing an article and for attempting to provide evidence. Unfortunately, the evidence presented isn't sufficient to establish that a 26-year-old dating a single mom is "creepy and inappropriate", nor does it imply that most people in the US would view it as such.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
You see what you did there? I made an observation of your behavior, and you immediately tried to use the behavior of others to rationalize your own behavior. You've been doing this for as long as I remember you being on the board. It's a fairly serious problem that I'm guessing you didn't discuss with your therapist. It's why you lash out at feminists, overly picky women, people on this board, society in general and on and on over your unhappiness on the state of your love/sex life. And as long as you think of yourself as a helpless victim, that unhappiness will never, never go away.
I no longer view myself as a helpless victim, but it is true that society makes my dating life harder. Many discourage women from dating older men, and US society seems to promote unrealistic expectations. A lot of people (especially women) overvalue themselves due to confirmation bias, resulting in expectations that are simply too high. I don't believe I'm harming myself by pointing that out.

Res Ipsa wrote:
Any relief from the anxiety that is driving your behavior will be only temporary, because all of those behaviors teach your brain to be even more anxious. You appear to be caught in a nasty trap that lots of people's brains get caught in.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't point to my "behavior" here as the cause of my anxiety. I still have some anxiety, but it seems that many people are experiencing anxiety these days. Maybe the problem is somewhere else?

Just to make it clear, I'm not suggesting that the problem lies in women being too picky or that society discourages younger women from dating older men.
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 pm
Yet another non-responsive reply. :roll:
I just did.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
that will create a moment of self-awareness that will lead you to seize control of your actions and recognize that only you (with some help) can make your love/sex relationships better.
A lot of men are experiencing the same problems. Therefore, I am not sure why you think society can't be blamed. However, I understand that society is unlikely to change anytime soon. So, I agree that only I can make my life better, which I already have in some ways, and will continue to do so in the near future.
doubtingthomas
God

backlash over 31-year age gap

Post by doubtingthomas »

"backlash over 31-year age gap"
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mar ... 02492.html

To put things in context, Ortega is 21 years old, and the character she plays is an 18 year old University student. Many people were outraged about a certain scene, even though it involved two adults—both in real life and in the story. I'm not sure why people would be outraged about a movie; it's just a movie.

However, there was no outrage about Euphoria, a series in which many high school characters (all boys) exposed their genitals. Who, in their right mind, wouldn't see such a glaring double standard? "HBO's Euphoria Flashes 30 Penises on Screen in One Episode Alone" https://www.menshealth.com/entertainmen ... sex-drugs/

In real life, the vast majority of cases involving sexual intercourse between teachers and students are female teachers with boys cases. I suspect that the vast majority of cases involving heterosexual intercourse between adults and underage teens are cougars and boys cases.

However, nobody points that out; society would rather shame men who pursue relationships with young adults.

This thread seriously doesn't belong to the mega thread.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Dr Exiled wrote:
Sure you did.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.