Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:48 am

No.

If you need to eat, and I buy you a meal, am I discriminating against anyone else in doing so?
Giving free money to just one gender is discrimination. Men need financial aid too.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
canpakes
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:47 am
Can you prove that the median income of young women is lower than the median income of young men when controlling for race?
Why would you want to ignore lifetime earnings? Why do you limit the question to whatever ‘young’ means?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:50 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:48 am

No.

If you need to eat, and I buy you a meal, am I discriminating against anyone else in doing so?
Giving free money to just one gender is discrimination. Men need financial aid too.
Can you provide some figures on the disparity in financial aid awarded based on sex that you suggest accounts for the disparity in college enrollment?

At least as far as government student aid is concerned, “(y)our eligibility depends on your Expected Family Contribution, your year in school, your enrollment status, and the cost of attendance at the school you will be attending.”

https://www.savingforcollege.com/articl ... gistration
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:45 am
And you’re doing it again. Helping Person X doesn’t necessarily hurt or discriminate against Person Y. You’re giving no evidence that a program that would, as example, encourage more women to enroll in math and science related courses somehow discourages male students from doing the same.
It discourages men when they don't have the money. College is expensive! There would be a lot more men in STEM if organizations and companies would offer financial aid to men only. Could you imagine the outrage?

You ignore the fact that the majority of scholarships are awarded to women.
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 am

Why would you want to ignore lifetime earnings? Why do you limit the question to whatever ‘young’ means?
There are new trends. Childless women will have higher lifetime earnings than childless men.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:57 am

At least as far as government student aid is concerned, “Your eligibility depends on your Expected Family Contribution, your year in school, your enrollment status, and the cost of attendance at the school you will be attending.”

That's Federal Student Aid, not organizations and companies (and society).
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:45 am
And you’re doing it again. Helping Person X doesn’t necessarily hurt or discriminate against Person Y. You’re giving no evidence that a program that would, as example, encourage more women to enroll in math and science related courses somehow discourages male students from doing the same.
It discourages men when they don't have the money. College is expensive! There would be a lot more men in STEM if organizations and companies would offer financial aid to men only. Could you imagine the outrage?

You ignore the fact that the majority of scholarships are awarded to women.
Because the majority of college enrollees today are women? : D

Can you provide some figures on the disparity in financial aid awarded based on sex that you suggest accounts for the disparity in college enrollment?

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 am
There are new trends. Childless women will have higher lifetime earnings than childless men.
That doesn’t answer the question. And you can’t assert that this ‘will’ happen until you have the lifetime data to support it.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:59 am
canpakes wrote:

At least as far as government student aid is concerned, “Your eligibility depends on your Expected Family Contribution, your year in school, your enrollment status, and the cost of attendance at the school you will be attending.”

That's Federal Student Aid, not organizations and companies (and society).
Yes. And that’s a huge chunk of financial aid dollars.

Now, can you provide some figures on the disparity in financial aid awarded based on sex that you suggest accounts for the disparity in college enrollment?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:08 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:01 am

To be clear, you are equating the opioid crisis with a decrease in male college entrance and completion rates? Those are equal in your mind?
No, someone who doesn't go to college is more likely to end up with an opioid addiction.
So...you like turtles. Got it.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Let's hear it for the boys! Girls? Girls just want to have fun!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:06 am
Now, can you provide some figures on the disparity in financial aid awarded based on sex that you suggest accounts for the disparity in college enrollment?
Nope.

But I can give you this, "In fact, currently there are more women than men attending college and opportunities abound for women across many schools and majors...Additionally, there are many philanthropic organizations who are specifically targeting this demographic and offer scholarships for women aspiring to careers in engineering, computer science and many other similar fields."
https://www.scholarships.com/financial- ... for-women/

Can you imagine the outrage if many organizations invested a lot of money exclusively on men who are studying nursing?