Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:45 pm
I don't know. The nature v. nurture debate is something that I think reasonable people can and do disagree over. Bristlers gonna bristle. ;)
Surely the answer is somewhere between the extremes and not a denial of biology. Biology makes no difference?

Nah.
That’s what I suspect as well.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:47 pm

So, unfairness to women doesn't count because life is unfair, but unfairness to men is ZOMG a CRISIS!!!!

Also, unfairness to women is because men make better choices, while unfairness to men is RADICAL FEMINISTS.
Who do you think I am? Don't insult my intelligence.

I am not complaining about all the unfair disadvantages that men tend to have. It's alright for women to be treated differently, I am not against free breast cancer screenings, I am not against women winning child custody, and I am not against many other advantages that women have.

I am against this BS, "A new study that recently came out revealed that 84% of roughly 220 universities "lopsidedly benefited women" by offering single-gender scholarships, many of which are in STEM fields; permitted under Title IX only if the "overall effect" of scholarships is equitable."
https://www.scholarships.com/news/femal ... -higher-ed

There are a lot more scholarships and programs that exclusively help women than men. All because of the misleading claim that women make 82 cents for every dollar earned by men. According to one study, "Findings show that, under some assumptions, gender differences in hours worked can account for a substantial portion of the gender wage gap" https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 9211045376

I do agree the Motherhood penalty does affect how much women are making, but men tend to be the providers when their spouse has a baby. Who is more likely to pay rent or the bills?

Black and Hispanic women tend to have lower wages, not white women. If companies want to give scholarships to women only, they should at least exclude white women.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

So. Did an internet personality raise this topic to your awareness? Or did you not get your financial aid?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:00 am
So. Did an internet personality raise this topic to your awareness? Or did you not get your financial aid?
Others have also noticed groups that use topics like this as a strategy:
[Q]"Can you talk about the idea of a "men's crisis," and how that gets expressed through ideas of male victimization and female privilege?"

Ebin: Something happens with the deployment of an ideology of victimhood that allows movements to position themselves as always being defensive and reacting to aggression coming from the opposing side.

We see this in the idea of a crisis for men: If we position men as victims, then there necessarily is a responsible party, a perpetrator. And using that victim/perpetrator framework allows men to then claim that what they're seeking is not to subjugate or dominate, but only to defend themselves.

This is the same strategy used by white supremacist groups, by opponents of critical race theory, by "parents' rights" groups. They always present themselves as defenders of something rather than as aggressors. It's fundamentally a false narrative and a strategy to distract from the fact that they're seeking domination.

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/10/misogy ... far-right/
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Is that in the same fields? One of the reasons I think non-degreed men earn more than non-degreed women is because they go into higher risk jobs (read: dirty jobs) that pay more than low risk jobs. I dunno, it’s been a while since I paid attention to this issue because there are so many people playing around with datapoints that skew the results into an ideological framework I lost interest.
Notice how I shared a paper, but Marcus shared salon. :lol: The paper talks about how overtime hours explain much of the gender wage gap.

The only thing that unfairly affects women's wages is the motherhood penalty, but men tend to be household providers and are more likely than women to pay child support.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:43 am
This is the same strategy used by white supremacist groups, by opponents of critical race theory, by "parents' rights" groups. They always present themselves as defenders of something rather than as aggressors. It's fundamentally a false narrative and a strategy to distract from the fact that they're seeking domination.

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/10/misogy ... far-right/
Yep.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:57 am
Notice how I shared a paper, but Marcus shared salon. :lol: The paper talks about how overtime hours explain much of the gender wage gap.

The only thing that unfairly affects women's wages is the motherhood penalty, but men tend to be household providers and are more likely than women to pay child support.
Most explanations for women’s underrepresentation among overworkers point to women’s greater responsibility for family caregiving (Blair-Loy 2003; Cha 2010, 2013; Clarkberg and Moen 2001; Hochschild and Machung [1989] 2003; Jacobs and Gerson 2004). Although men now spend more time on housework and childcare than in the past (Bianchi et al. 2012; Raley, Bianchi, and Wang 2012), essentialist beliefs about female caregiving continue to be a dominant cultural ideology even among people who endorse gender egalitarianism (Cotter at al. 2011). As a result, decisions about childrearing and family activities still tend to be made and implemented primarily by women (Crittenden 2002; Hochschild and Machung [1989] 2003; Stone 2007), women spend the same or a greater amount of time with their children as they did in prior decades (Bianchi et al. 2012), and the rising time requirements of elder care also disproportionately fall on women’s shoulders (Wolff and Kasper 2006).
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:40 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:47 pm

So, unfairness to women doesn't count because life is unfair, but unfairness to men is ZOMG a CRISIS!!!!

Also, unfairness to women is because men make better choices, while unfairness to men is RADICAL FEMINISTS.
Who do you think I am? Don't insult my intelligence.

I am not complaining about all the unfair disadvantages that men tend to have. It's alright for women to be treated differently, I am not against free breast cancer screenings, I am not against women winning child custody, and I am not against many other advantages that women have.

I am against this BS, "A new study that recently came out revealed that 84% of roughly 220 universities "lopsidedly benefited women" by offering single-gender scholarships, many of which are in STEM fields; permitted under Title IX only if the "overall effect" of scholarships is equitable."
https://www.scholarships.com/news/femal ... -higher-ed

There are a lot more scholarships and programs that exclusively help women than men. All because of the misleading claim that women make 82 cents for every dollar earned by men. According to one study, "Findings show that, under some assumptions, gender differences in hours worked can account for a substantial portion of the gender wage gap" https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 9211045376

I do agree the Motherhood penalty does affect how much women are making, but men tend to be the providers when their spouse has a baby. Who is more likely to pay rent or the bills?

Black and Hispanic women tend to have lower wages, not white women. If companies want to give scholarships to women only, they should at least exclude white women.
So, you have no idea what percentage of the total available grant and scholarship money is reserved for women only. Check.

Is the gap between back women and black men smaller or larger than the gap between whites women and whites men? Same question with Hispanic folks.

What? You’ve never heard of single mothers?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:06 am
Yep.
But that's off-topic, Marcus is at it again to link me to extremists.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:40 am

So, you have no idea what percentage of the total available grant and scholarship money is reserved for women only. Check.

Is the gap between back women and black men smaller or larger than the gap between whites women and whites men? Same question with Hispanic folks.

What? You’ve never heard of single mothers?
You tell me. How many available scholarships are exclusively for women only and how many are exclusively for men?

Yes, but I doubt single mothers get most of the scholarships for women only.

And Marcus is trying to link me with white supremacists, why are you allowing that?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.