Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:53 pm
I am against radical anything. I don't know that we have a boy emergency going on, however.
I am against radical anything too. Brookings does call it a crisis.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... ompletion/

And your wife is suggesting that I am an incel and a white supremacist. She clearly needs to see a therapist.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
honorentheos
God

Re: Society is discriminating against boys, says Forbes. Brookings.edu says, "boys are falling behind"

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:50 am
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:06 am

Yep.
But that's off-topic, Marcus is at it again to link me to extremists.
Says the guy trying to link social issues to his problems with social constraints to disguise his predatory behavior and thinking.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:33 am
Says the guy trying to link social issues to his problems with social constraints to disguise his predatory behavior and thinking.
It's not my fault you follow radical feminist pseudoscience. There's nothing wrong with me and I don't have serious problems.

By the way, you reminded me of a new study I read.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:40 am
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:33 am
It's not my fault you follow radical feminist pseudoscience. There's nothing wrong with me and I don't have serious problems.
Other than narcissistic personality disorder...
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:42 am
Only if you cherry-pick the things I say.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:45 am
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:42 am
Only if you cherry-pick the things I say.
DT, we’re 10 pages into this thread, now, and the only thing you’ve offered as a reason for the decline of male attendance and completion of post-secondary school education is that there are ‘more women’s scholarships’.

Are there any other possible factors?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:07 am
I am against radical anything too. Brookings does call it a crisis.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... ompletion/

And your wife is suggesting that I am an incel and a white supremacist. She clearly needs to see a therapist.
My wife? What are you talking about? My wife does not post here. Look, I have no idea why you are being called an incel and a white supremacist, partly because I am not following these threads all that closely. Obviously, I am not as concerned about this alleged crisis as you are, but you don't need to extend your incivility to me.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:54 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:40 am

So, you have no idea what percentage of the total available grant and scholarship money is reserved for women only. Check.

Is the gap between back women and black men smaller or larger than the gap between whites women and whites men? Same question with Hispanic folks.

What? You’ve never heard of single mothers?
You tell me. How many available scholarships are exclusively for women only and how many are exclusively for men?

Yes, but I doubt single mothers get most of the scholarships for women only.

And Marcus is trying to link me with white supremacists, why are you allowing that?
You're the one who's claiming it's a "crisis." Given the billions of dollars in grants and scholarships available, I think that the percentage of that figure that these scholarships represent is an important consideration in figuring out whether this is a "crisis" or just another of the manufactured outrage issues we've seen so much of lately.

Upthread, you linked me to an article about a study. Did you read the study? Was it published? Peer reviewed? Who conducted it? Why did they simply count the number of scholarships rather than telling you the total dollar value? Who are the people that did the study? Do they have an agenda?

I haven't moderated Marcus's post because it does not violate any rules.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:57 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Is that in the same fields? One of the reasons I think non-degreed men earn more than non-degreed women is because they go into higher risk jobs (read: dirty jobs) that pay more than low risk jobs. I dunno, it’s been a while since I paid attention to this issue because there are so many people playing around with datapoints that skew the results into an ideological framework I lost interest.
Notice how I shared a paper, but Marcus shared salon. :lol: The paper talks about how overtime hours explain much of the gender wage gap.

The only thing that unfairly affects women's wages is the motherhood penalty, but men tend to be household providers and are more likely than women to pay child support.
I posted an interview with the authors of a book:
...a new scholarly book, "Male Supremacism in the United States: From Patriarchal Traditionalism to Misogynist Incels and the Alt-Right," released this month as part of a Routledge series on fascism and the far right. The book, a collection of essays and studies from 14 academics and researchers, was edited by Emily Carian, Alex DiBranco and Chelsea Ebin.

All three are among the cofounders of the Institute for Research on Male Supremacism, a first-of-its-kind center launched in 2019 to address a gap in scholarship on how organized misogyny serves as a vital cornerstone of right-wing activism.
Your style of topics and your anti-feminist opinions mirror quite well the topics, anti-feminist opinions, and strategies of presentation documented in this book. It is as though you are getting your information directly and specifically from the online manosphere groups that follow this pattern of hatred and are discussed by these authors. :roll: You are far more obvious in your choice of topics than you realize.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 pm
You're the one who's claiming it's a "crisis." Given the billions of dollars in grants and scholarships available, I think that the percentage of that figure that these scholarships represent is an important consideration in figuring out whether this is a "crisis" or just another of the manufactured outrage issues we've seen so much of lately.
I like your cherry-picked skepticism. Where is your skepticism towards the 82 cents for every dollar or towards many of the things that Marcus and radical feminists love to point out?

I don't have the exact numbers, I doubt companies would admit that the majority of gender-exclusive scholarships are for women.

However, we know for sure that there are more scholarships exclusively for women than for men. Read the Forbes article and use some common sense.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimelsesse ... c721ab7fe2
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 pm
I haven't moderated Marcus's post because it does not violate any rules.
But that's a subjective opinion. The only fact is that special rules only apply to me. :lol: It's sad that the Washington Post article about mental health was thrown into the trash can.