Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

Post by Moksha »

I think of mass shootings as part of the curse of Republicanism. Republicans will always be against solving the problem of mass shootings.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I wouldn't vote for a politician who opposed banning assault type weapons or selling high-capacity magazines to the general public or background checks for gun buyers any more than I would vote for a known serial killer like Jack the ripper! In my carefully considered opinion, any politician or judge or justice at any level of government, up to and including the Supreme Court, who opposes such sensible measures deserves to be voted out of office and/or impeached!

This brutal takedown by Jon Stewart of a conservative opponent of Gun regulations and registration is precious! Jon Stewart BREAKS THEINTERNET demolishing Republican TO HIS FACE

It is outrageous and immoral to regard the very lives of our precious children as less important than maximizing the profits of firearms manufacturers because they donate so heavily to the conservative idiots willing to do their bidding by rejecting virtually any measures and regulations that would help to minimize the dangers posed by virtually unrestricted gun sales and ownership.
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:44 pm
Please watch this and look to see what I see as the cameras move through the hallways and classrooms of Covenant. Do you see the spaces where children live more waking hours than they do at home?
Interestingly, when I went through the police academy, 100% of our active shooter drills were conducted in schools. So my current mental images of the insides of schools are indeed with weapons in hand and at the ready.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:31 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:44 pm
Please watch this and look to see what I see as the cameras move through the hallways and classrooms of Covenant. Do you see the spaces where children live more waking hours than they do at home?
Interestingly, when I went through the police academy, 100% of our active shooter drills were conducted in schools. So my current mental images of the insides of schools are indeed with weapons in hand and at the ready.
Voof. That’s … kind of damning with regard to our country’s culture. Man. Sad.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:28 am
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 am
I'm assuming we're not allowed to propose bullet proof rooms or other safety measures to make schools a less soft target like the initial target she/her chose and passed up for a softer target either.
1. I’m not convinced that you’d accept the cost, financed through greater taxation, of making ‘bullet proof rooms’.

2. Even if, you can’t make bullet proof school grounds, unless you believe that schools should essentially convert to prisons.
Good points. I was reminded by the video of the shooter shooting through the side door that my kid's elementary school installed bulletproof outer doors some years back, and I was shocked at the ease with which they shot through the doors. I remember thinking 'why weren't they bulletproof????'

But the video also, chillingly, showed the shooter driving onto the property and then parking in the back, where the parking lot backed up onto a playground with swings. There were at least 10 kids out there on the swings and in the playground as the killer walked past, weapons in hand.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

canpakes wrote:
ajax18 wrote:
I'm assuming we're not allowed to propose bullet proof rooms or other safety measures to make schools a less soft target like the initial target she/her chose and passed up for a softer target either.
1. I’m not convinced that you’d accept the cost, financed through greater taxation, of making ‘bullet proof rooms’.

2. Even if, you can’t make bullet proof school grounds, unless you believe that schools should essentially convert to prisons.
Better a prison than dead. Murder is already illegal. Confiscating guns from law biding people will not stop criminals from getting guns. A pistol could have done just as much damage especially if the police were disarmed and demilitarized as many on this board have called for. It's a private school so people could choose to invest or not invest in the safety features with their tuition dollars.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:10 pm
canpakes wrote:

Better a prison than dead. Murder is already illegal. Confiscating guns from law biding people will not stop criminals from getting guns. A pistol could have done just as much damage especially if the police were disarmed and demilitarized as many on this board have called for. It's a private school so people could choose to invest or not invest in the safety features with their tuition dollars.
Just gonna lock this in. In case anyone is wondering, this is what a piece of crap looks like.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

The Nasville shooter used carbine, wich are pustol rounds, not AR15.

The following ethics are what a piece of crap looks like.

The rule is that if you are a member of a supposed victim group, your evil sins are the fault of the society around you.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
I'm assuming we're not allowed to propose bullet proof rooms or other safety measures to make schools a less soft target like the initial target she/her chose and passed up for a softer target either. We must just keep our focus squarely on disarming law biding citizens and not deviate into other issues like transgender mental illness and hatred for Christian schools, values, and Christian children. Criminals don't give a damn about your gun laws, never have, and never will.
We're certainly allowed to propose it, if the end goal is to avoid anyone's gun fetish being inconvenienced. Who are we taxing for the trillions required to retrofit all of the schools? I guess gun owners would make sense.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:06 pm
ajax18 wrote:
I'm assuming we're not allowed to propose bullet proof rooms or other safety measures to make schools a less soft target like the initial target she/her chose and passed up for a softer target either. We must just keep our focus squarely on disarming law biding citizens and not deviate into other issues like transgender mental illness and hatred for Christian schools, values, and Christian children. Criminals don't give a damn about your gun laws, never have, and never will.
We're certainly allowed to propose it, if the end goal is to avoid anyone's gun fetish being inconvenienced. Who are we taxing for the trillions required to retrofit all of the schools? I guess gun owners would make sense.
Nobody. We're going back to free market schools. If it's not worth it to you, you don't have to buy it.