Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

Post by Jersey Girl »

I watched this video of the shooting inside the Covenant School in Nashville. At least LE in Nashville was immediately on it and subdued the shooter within 10 minutes of the onset of the event, unlike the Robb Elementary shooting in Uvalde Texas where officers waited for over an hour to proceed.

This video is a little different than what is typical. It's the view inside the school through the lens of officer body cam. I cannot find the words to express how it makes me feel to tour the school via body cam with weapons in the frame. My eyes go through the hallways with the officers. I can see their weapons but the interior of the school is what draws my eye. The bulletin board displays, the classrooms, the common areas, and knowing what goes on in a school like that every day. Laughter and learning, first friendships being made, social relationships working themselves out leading to so much happiness for a student and sometimes tears of disappointment, followed by the courage to try again. Students cheering each other on, loving their teacher, and their teacher loving them.

When I see the desecration of a safe space, a place of discovery like this, it hurts my brain and my heart. Of course I have worked in classrooms just like that when I assisted K-5 grades, though most of my years were spent teaching young children in stand alone schools created just for them.

When you walk into school at the start of each day, adults and students do so with happy anticipation of what the day will bring. It's a cheerful environment, a place of growth, and if you will, a nest that envelopes children and their adult partners in learning. I can't think of a single day when I left for school each morning regardless of grade, that I didn't do so with a spirit of joy and wondering what the day would bring. I can't think of a greater privilege than the one I had for so many years.

My brain struggles to process the juxtaposition of weapons moving through a children's environment and yet, we see it with such frequency that we can't even list the locations or the number of dead and wounded much less the date that each shooting took place.

This should have stopped at Sandy Hook Elementary TEN YEARS ago when Adam Lanza put to death 20 first graders (!) and 6 adults only after shooting his own mother. But it didn't stop then.

Please watch this and look to see what I see as the cameras move through the hallways and classrooms of Covenant. Do you see the spaces where children live more waking hours than they do at home?

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT - Video shows police confronting Nashville school shooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768yEZhbODE

And after you view it would you please tell me your thoughts on gun legislation and what we can do about it when our elected officials persist in damned over our future? Not the mental health/access to care or school security measures. Just stay on the guns please and thank you.

"Do something with your life that will outlast it."

I did and I still do,
Jersey

Your turn.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

Post by Jersey Girl »

The shooters perspective. Here begins the desecration of a place of learning.

Nashville school shooting video released by police | LiveNOW from FOX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT3lZIFwhkU
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I watched it earlier today. Frankly, I’m so emotionally sick that I’m not sure I have coherent thoughts on the subject.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I haven’t watched the video, because I’m burned out on school shootings. Innocent kids and faculties are getting blown away, and politicians are sending out xmas cards like this without a shred of introspection:

I am, however, very interested in the shooter’s manifesto. I think because this one is different, being ostensibly a FTM LGBTQ+ type, I’m curious about the mindset and circumstances that led up to their actions.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:18 pm
I haven’t watched the video, because I’m burned out on school shootings. Innocent kids and faculties are getting blown away, and politicians are sending out xmas cards like this without a shred of introspection:

[Snip]

I am, however, very interested in the shooter’s manifesto. I think because this one is different, being ostensibly a FTM LGBTQ+ type, I’m curious about the mindset and circumstances that led up to their actions.

- Doc
I'm interested in the manifesto as well. I'm sure mental illness is in the picture but I just wanted to do a thread on gun control as a single topic because for the life of me I don't know what we can do when our elected officials are focused protecting their own status instead of protecting one of our most vulnerable populations.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:53 pm
I watched it earlier today. Frankly, I’m so emotionally sick that I’m not sure I have coherent thoughts on the subject.
I get angry. I get sad. And then sometimes I turn into an emotional rock that just wants to get to the bottom line and fix this mess. Watching that video was akin to watching the desecration of a holy place. Given the fact that children live there, it SHOULD be viewed as a holy place.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:34 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:53 pm
I get angry. I get sad. And then sometimes I turn into an emotional rock that just wants to get to the bottom line and fix this mess. Watching that video was akin to watching the desecration of a holy place. Given the fact that children live there, it SHOULD be viewed as a holy place.
Agreed. And the desecration that an AR-15 does to their little bodies is horrific.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I'm assuming we're not allowed to propose bullet proof rooms or other safety measures to make schools a less soft target like the initial target she/her chose and passed up for a softer target either. We must just keep our focus squarely on disarming law biding citizens and not deviate into other issues like transgender mental illness and hatred for Christian schools, values, and Christian children. Criminals don't give a damn about your gun laws, never have, and never will.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:45 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:34 pm

Agreed. And the desecration that an AR-15 does to their little bodies is horrific.
Would you feel better if it were done with a handgun like most murders are?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Back to Jersey Girl’s topic. I suppose we should first close the gun show loophole, first. In many-a-county they have the occasional gun show for, say, 2 days of the month at their fairgrounds. Fairground buildings are opened for public access; people of all ages can attend for a nominal fee with no background checks. Private sellers and gun dealers are able to buy/sell firearms once you walk in past the LEOs who’ll clear your firearm before entry, usually locking it with a zip tie. You can find a private seller in less than a minute.

Worse, people will stand around in the buildings and parking lot to sell their guns on fairgrounds property, where they don't do background checks for a private sale, and you give them cash, so it's essentially an untraceable ghost gun. This is all sanctioned by local LEOs that are pro-Second Amendment, and don't bat an eye other than to stand there for presence on their off-duty work details.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.