Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:55 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:19 am
Where's the topic?
I read a thing yesterday; there are nearly 400,000,000 firearms in the US. This won’t get fixed. :(

- Doc
Neither will the topic. Thanks for trying.

I give.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I read a thing yesterday; there are nearly 400,000,000 firearms in the US. This won’t get fixed. :(

- Doc

I give.
From Yahoo:
The shooter's parents thought Hale had recently sold his only gun, but Hale had in fact legally purchased seven firearms from five different local gun shops, Drake said.
I know it’s tough to stay on track when Low Hanging Fruit does his drive-by’s, but I saw this and thought you might find it interesting with regard to Hale’s thought process. I suspect now Hale had a fantasy of doing a sort of commando type first-person shooter action, where one would empty the magazine of a weapon, drop it, and unholster the next weapon for a fairly uninterrupted shooting spree. This lets me know Hale didn’t feel comfortable unloading and loading a magazine. I also suspect Hale screwed up loading the mags, and chambering rounds in the first place, since so much time went by and so few rounds were expended. Perhaps Hale got a jam and simply dropped the weapon; I’d be surprised if any of the weapons were properly oiled and ready to be fired.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:08 am
Perhaps Hale got a jam and simply dropped the weapon; I’d be surprised if any of the weapons were properly oiled and ready to be fired.
Hmmm. Maybe THIS is the answer. Planned obsolescence. Gun companies get to sell more guns that degrade too fast to be useful so they can sell even more. TikTok posers and political campaigns can buy largely useless firearms in quantity to parade around and push the weird button buying a gun seems to activate for some folks. And they don't really work for killing so one unhealthy culture is constrained by another.

It's genius. Or at least 'Merican.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Seriously, I would love all the idiot MAGAtes to form their own country just to watch how spectacularly it failed, from all the selfishness and whiny damned bastards fighting over stupid, made up crap with nobody there to be reasonable.

I'd give it two weeks, assuming the majority of the guns went with them. It would basically be a country full of prison inmates. How fun for them. You prop up cameras in strategic locations and you've got the reality crap show of a lifetime. Full retard arena brawl. Pop your popcorn now!
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:24 am
Seriously, I would love all the idiot MAGAtes to form their own country just to watch how spectacularly it failed, from all the selfishness and whiny damned bastards fighting over stupid, made up crap with nobody there to be reasonable.

I'd give it two weeks, assuming the majority of the guns went with them. It would basically be a country full of prison inmates. How fun for them. You prop up cameras in strategic locations and you've got the reality crap show of a lifetime. Full retard arena brawl. Pop your popcorn now!
A country ran by men who speak in stream-of-idiot-consciousness.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:24 am

Wait, there’d be no need for firearms and open carry in the New Confederacy, right? After all, everyone would be of the same honest, Christian law-abiding mindset, with all of the miscreants and evil criminal libtards left behind in the old US. So what would one need their EC for?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:13 pm
Wait, there’d be no need for firearms and open carry in the New Confederacy, right? After all, everyone would be of the same honest, Christian law-abiding mindset, with all of the miscreants and evil criminal libtards left behind in the old US. So what would one need their EC for?
Well, Marjorie Green and Lauren Boebert would live there, two gun fetish morons on the same "side" who already don't get along.

And let's not kid ourselves. Most people don't carry guns to protect themselves. That is BS justification. Most people who want guns think they're cool. To them, it's basically a dildo with a trigger.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:53 pm
...basically a dildo with a trigger.
For a moment there, I thought you were describing one of the posters here.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

I give.
I’ll keep trying. I was thinking about this year’s # of mass shootings https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting and I want to say it’s not looking great https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls given our numbers. But I do think there are, in fact, underlying issues I think I can at least try to suss out.

Obviously there are glaring differences between us, the US, and other countries where mass shootings are rare to non-existent. I think the actual problem, guns aside, is more insidious and subtle. So, here’s my Big Reveal:

Americans are stressed out. Shocker, I know.

The kind of stress I’m talking about is more of a character trait. And we’re fearful which feeds into stress. And it’s a low-key fear every single day. I think this stress, fed by fear, causes some of us to just snap. Here in the US, it seems to be a normal state of affairs, to be so stressed that it’s normalized.

What is causing us to internalize this stress so it’s just a fact of life here? Here are my guesses:

Firstly, it’s media. Whether it’s the mainstream media, alt-news, or social media, it’s all designed to ping our fear reflex, to keep us hooked. This isn’t even debatable. People, by far, are more apt to engage in negative media rather than positive and informative media. Our brains are wired to focus on threats, whatever form they take, and stay on them until something else captures our attention. Were fed, create, and participate in fear-based media. We’re always being stressed, deliberately, because it keeps eyeballs on the content. This has a huge day-to-day impact on our psychological and physiological processes.

Secondly, I think it’s the food people eat, and the drinks people ingest daily that are processed, incredibly packed with sugar and additives, and it’s damned up our systems; it causes our bodies to be stressed. We’re also over-consuming this slop that’s literally designed to addict you to them. And, we’re consuming too often, never giving our bodies a chance to process this slop, so our physiology is always in a state of dealing with tension, inflammation, filtering, or just not getting a break. Our ‘nutrition’ is killing us slowly, and I think our bodies are freaking the “F” out, which translates to humans who can’t relax due to their diets and habits.

Thirdly, the way people live, the sort of live-to-work and work-to-live cycle we’re in is making us crazy. For million, tens of millions really, the dream of upward mobility is impossible. It could be any number of factors, all debatable, but when people realize they’re busting their asses just to pay rent, eat like crap, and then be filled with fear every day … of course some of them snap, and what’s readily available as a tool to use to either off themselves, or to inflict the pain and frustration on a society that’s designed to milk them to death? What happens when a person who’s mind is presented with fear and despondency every day, who’s body is filled with addictive poison, and realizes they’re not going to have the American Dream? Stress and fear translate to resentment. Resentment typically feeds into escapism or lashing out. It is what it is.

​I suspect gun legislation is or would be just a band-aid on the American psyche. I’m fairly certain if I were to google other forms of violence and dreadful stats, America s would be at or near the top in virtually every category.

Now. Just banging out this post, I resisted the temptation to provide solutions to the problems I think are real enough to present. I have solutions in mind, but what’s the point? I’m not trying to be a doomer, but the fact is any practical solution has to be an internal process wherein the individual has an epiphany here and there in order to fix their life, their perspective, their health, and live consistently in a manner that begets balance. Trying to legislate behavior to an addict will only result in an outburst, and we’re a nation of rage addicts, slop-food addicts, escapism addicts, and resentment addicts. I don’t think there is a holistic approach that can fix a nation of 380M people with 400M firearms. We’ll always be in a reactive position because we cling to our addictions.

- Doc
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:15 pm
I’ll keep trying. I was thinking about this year’s # of mass shootings https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting and I want to say it’s not looking great https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls given our numbers. But I do think there are, in fact, underlying issues I think I can at least try to suss out.

Obviously there are glaring differences between us, the US, and other countries where mass shootings are rare to non-existent. I think the actual problem, guns aside, is more insidious and subtle. So, here’s my Big Reveal:

Americans are stressed out. Shocker, I know.

The kind of stress I’m talking about is more of a character trait. And we’re fearful which feeds into stress. And it’s a low-key fear every single day. I think this stress, fed by fear, causes some of us to just snap. Here in the US, it seems to be a normal state of affairs, to be so stressed that it’s normalized.

- Doc
I appreciate seeing your views and analysis of this issue, but I am very far from convinced that the underlying issues and problems you listed are significantly less prevalent or problematic in other countries with far less gun violence than our own. The one difference that is overwhelmingly and incontrovertibly enormous between the USA and other developed countries with much lower gun violence and mass shooting incidents is the availability of firearms and the comparative weakness or lack of regulations concerning gun ownership and safety. I don't think it is either honest or reasonable to dismiss that as the primary cause of the enormous disparity between us and other nations concerning the prevalence of gun violence and mass shootings. Certainly the claim that adding even more guns to the equation, while at the same time weakening existing gun regulations or repealing them altogether, will somehow only make us all safer, as many conservatives seem to be arguing, is insane!

Certainly, protecting the safety and lives of innocent citizens, especially of our precious children, deserves enormously higher priority than protecting the right to own any quantity or type of firearms we can afford to purchase without restriction!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.