Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Gun control (your thoughts on one thread)

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 am
I'm assuming we're not allowed to propose bullet proof rooms or other safety measures to make schools a less soft target like the initial target she/her chose and passed up for a softer target either.
1. I’m not convinced that you’d accept the cost, financed through greater taxation, of making ‘bullet proof rooms’.

2. Even if, you can’t make bullet proof school grounds, unless you believe that schools should essentially convert to prisons.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:28 am
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 am
I'm assuming we're not allowed to propose bullet proof rooms or other safety measures to make schools a less soft target like the initial target she/her chose and passed up for a softer target either.
1. I’m not convinced that you’d accept the cost, financed through greater taxation, of making ‘bullet proof rooms’.

2. Even if, you can’t make bullet proof school grounds, unless you believe that schools should essentially convert to prisons.
Swallow a spider to catch a fly.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

The thread in the Terrestrial forum with MG regarding civil society being under attack due to irreligious Gen Z-ers includes MG asking about the second amendment. He included it as one of the three core issues that apparently in his mind are about maintaining community identity and cohesion. The others? Opposition to abortion and illiberal attitudes towards freedom of speech on college campuses. And I think that's informative when it comes to the issue. Far too many in our country have broken ideas about what makes up American society, and feel their synthetic mythological version of it largely created in the last forty years is what held the world together in the past, so anything that threatens to divert from the myth is assaulting God, moms, and baseball.

It makes the problem in the OP seem like a demographic one. The Baby Boomer generation was the largest voting block for the better part of the last thirty years until Gen Z and Millennials broke their stranglehold. Now, the generations that grew up with not only the internet but also replaced duck-and-cover drills with active shooter drills are taking over the voting power. And honestly, I think that's the only thing that's actually going to effect actual change. And I think the resulting legislation will be more restrictive and angering to folks who have made it a proxy for identity than anything that would have came from bipartisan sensible gun control measures that moderates have been seeking.

So, yeah.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:32 pm
… for the life of me I don't know what we can do when our elected officials are focused protecting their own status instead of protecting one of our most vulnerable populations.

When I see the desecration of a safe space, a place of discovery like this, it hurts my brain and my heart.
I’ll admit - even in my own situation - that I’m a hard sell for the idea that we can or should aim to ‘outlaw assault weapons’ in general, due to how difficult that label is to define, and based on the fact that the Second Amendment exists. However, I am enthusiastically on board for this incomplete list:

- comprehensive and universal background checks,
- mandatory waiting periods for purchase,
- strengthening the ability of family or law enforcement to remove firearms from folks who may present a danger to themselves/others,
- vastly restricting sale to/use by minors of most firearms aside from small caliber revolvers, bolt action long guns or lever action long guns using only .22 LR or lesser ammunition, with progressive levels of firearm types allowed between 18 and 22 years of age (exceptions for military service, of course),
- safety training, permit and testing required for all minors before using firearms,
- safety training, permit and testing required for CC, with CCR eliminated.

I don’t interpret the intent or plain reading of the Second Amendment to deny the ability to place responsible and practical restrictions on firearm purchases and use, in the same way that we do so with things like voting.

I haven’t given this much thought, though, so it’s easy to poke holes in this list; feel free to call me out on any point. All that I know for certain is that it absolutely kills me (definitely no pun intended) to see any child - within what should be one of their safest spaces - reduced to this:

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

She tried to stop it but she didn't know what it was going to be. She told her Dad who advised her. She thought it would be a suicide. She called the suicide hotline. She called the sheriff was told to call the non-emergency line so she did so.

She TRIED. How are WE trying? How are our crappy useless game playing greedy ass politicians trying?

Hear from former teammate of Nashville shooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdRidlxX-4
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

We've had an assault weapons ban that held up in courts. Its not too hard to define, and I think it's common sense.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cam this is time stamped for you to look at.

How different is the damage from the AR 15 from that of a hollow point bullet? Is it the same or far worse? Asking for reasons not related to this shooting. Thanks.

See how AR-15 style guns create 'explosions inside the body'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mpqh2gYeg
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:02 am
We've had an assault weapons ban that held up in courts. Its not too hard to define, and I think it's common sense.
Yes, I know. How do we do that now? How do we get our elected officials to approve one?

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:12 am
honorentheos wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:02 am
Yes, I know. How do we do that now? How do we get our elected officials to approve one?
How? Vote the ones out who won't. Its not going to happen immediately but it's probably going to in the reasonably near future if the race to protect access to fair voting doesn't fall to the one game plan they have left: attack democratic voting processes under pretense of obvious lies.

It really seems to be a demographic issue now.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:18 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:45 pm
Agreed. And the desecration that an AR-15 does to their little bodies is horrific.
Would you feel better if it were done with a handgun like most murders are?
Go to hell.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.