Trump Indicted

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Trump Indicted

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:33 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:49 am
Question for the legal experts among us: Now that Trump has been acquitted in 2 impeachment trials, one for his alleged quid pro quo extortion attempt against Ukraine's President Zelensky and the other for attempted insurrection of Jan 6 2001, does he qualify for immunity from indictment for attempting to blackmail Zelensky and inciting the insurrection under the double jeopardy clause of the Constitution?
I don’t think so. Double jeopardy applies only to criminal trials.
Thanks for your answer. I hope this means that Trump will yet be indicted for those two crimes as well, which I am convinced are even worse than what he is currently being indicted for.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I have seen with my very own eyes, Donald J. Trump walk into the Manhattan District Attorneys office to be taken into custody, booked, arraigned, etc. My. own. eyes. :shock:

Apparently MTG tried to show up to lead a protest and left or something? She is WAY out of her depth in NYC. MTG didn't you know you're surrounded by the largest police force in the United States on that little island? Did you really think that you would lead a gigantic protest there? I laugh at your massive stupidity! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:55 pm
I have seen with my very own eyes, Donald J. Trump walk into the Manhattan District Attorneys office to be taken into custody, booked, arraigned, etc. My. own. eyes. :shock:

Apparently Marjorie Taylor Greene tried to show up to lead a protest and left or something? She is WAY out of her depth in NYC. Marjorie Taylor Greene didn't you know you're surrounded by the largest police force in the United States on that little island? Did you really think that you would lead a gigantic protest there? I laugh at your massive stupidity! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
She showed up for 10 minutes, got her publicity shots, and left. Grifter.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:46 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:33 pm

I don’t think so. Double jeopardy applies only to criminal trials.
Thanks for your answer. I hope this means that Trump will yet be indicted for those two crimes as well, which I am convinced are even worse than what he is currently being indicted for.
Jack Smith is investigating Trump's actions before and during the attack so hopefully he'll get inspired to actually enforce the law. At the very least, we know that Trump committed treason by doing nothing as his supporters invaded the Capitol and sought to kill or capture government officials, including his own vice president.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:10 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:46 pm

Jack Smith is investigating Trump's actions before and during the attack so hopefully he'll get inspired to actually enforce the law. At the very least, we know that Trump committed treason by doing nothing as his supporters invaded the Capitol and sought to kill or capture government officials, including his own vice president.
I doubt you’d find a federal prosecutor who’d try to indict Trump for treason. Sedition? Possibly. Now, if there were evidence of him selling classified documents to Putin, we’d be in treason territory.
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:14 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:10 pm

I doubt you’d find a federal prosecutor who’d try to indict Trump for treason. Sedition? Possibly. Now, if there were evidence of him selling classified documents to Putin, we’d be in treason territory.
It shouldn't be that hard to get a D.C. jury to agree to that. Ben Shapiro thinks the left wants Trump to be the candidate because he'll be easy to beat in the presidential election. It's hard for me to believe the left couldn't get a conviction and disqualify him from running if they really wanted to. This will be bad for Trump but I could see this playing out well for conservatives. But the next question is what's to stop Democrats from convicting any conservative political opponent they want at any time? I really could see them finding something to convict DeSantis of as well.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:14 pm

It shouldn't be that hard to get a D.C. jury to agree to that. Ben Shapiro thinks the left wants Trump to be the candidate because he'll be easy to beat in the presidential election. It's hard for me to believe the left couldn't get a conviction and disqualify him from running if they really wanted to. This will be bad for Trump but I could see this playing out well for conservatives. But the next question is what's to stop Democrats from convicting any conservative political opponent they want at any time? I really could see them finding something to convict DeSantis of as well.
Laws, Prosecutors and Juries. You’re confusing your personal bigotry against black folks with how the system actually operates. Just because you personally would ignore the law and put democrats in Prison simply because you don’t like them doesn’t mean that “democrats” feel the same way you do.

Politicians that break the law should be charged and tried. And they have been — tried and convicted. There’s no exception for Donald “Jesus Christ” Trump.

I think Ben Shapiro has more vocal cords than brains. I don’t believe in promoting authoritarian nutcases as presidential nominees for tactical reasons. Of the current field of declared GOP candidates, I favor Hutchinson.
he/him

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote:But the next question is what's to stop Democrats from convicting any conservative political opponent they want at any time? I really could see them finding something to convict DeSantis of as well
Like what? What crimes has DeSantis committed?

Even if "the left" has conspired to go after Trump, Trump made it relatively easy by living a life of white-collar crime. Even then, Trump did a pretty good job of protecting himself with fall guys and lawyers.

Let me ask you this, Ajax, Trump even referred to himself as "like a Phd in litigation". How many people do you know who are constantly suing or getting sued who are squeaky clean?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I think Ben Shapiro has more vocal cords than brains. I don’t believe in promoting authoritarian nutcases as presidential nominees for tactical reasons.
Of the current field of declared GOP candidates, I favor Hutchinson.
So you want the Republican who leans the furthest to the left to win the nomination? You don't worry that a centrist Republican might win the general election? You might be right about that, I doubt Democrats ever lost any sleep worrying that Mitt Romney would beat Barack Obama.

Ben Shapiro is a Harvard Law graduate as well. Do you think being conservative automatically means an individual has a low IQ? Are you surprised Ben scored a 180 on his LSAT? It kind of amazes me that Ben managed to pass Harvard law school. Conservatives must have to pretend really hard to be liberals if they want to pass a program like that. Obviously I wouldn't be capable of doing that. But I did have friends who tried to write in Ubonix in an attempt to throw the professors off on whose essays they' were reading. Do you really believe the law school professors couldn't find out whose essay they're grading if they desired to do so? I don't believe essay grading is done anonymously as they claim. The LSAT was objective but that was about it.
Last edited by ajax18 on Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Like what? What crimes has DeSantis committed?
Transgender hate speech
firing democrat leaning bureaucret moles
shipping illegal immigrants to Martha's Vineyard based on false promises, they could probably make that into a human trafficking and more than likely make it into a felony
Even if "the left" has conspired to go after Trump, Trump made it relatively easy by living a life of white-collar crime. Even then, Trump did a pretty good job of protecting himself with fall guys and lawyers.

Let me ask you this, Ajax, Trump even referred to himself as "like a Phd in litigation". How many people do you know who are constantly suing or getting sued who are squeaky clean?
Trump isn't squeaky clean. I guess you're used to having one standard for Democrat politicians and one for Republican politicians because well, the ends justify the means.

I'm guessing that Democrats will just draw this verdict on Trump out. They won't convict him unless he gets to close to winning for their comfort. Or perhaps after this election the Democrat grip on power will be nearly as solid a Xi's grip on China that they can haul Trump off to the Jan 6 gulag just for the fun of it. It doesn't really matter if people on the right have lost faith in the justice system being nonpartisan at this point. They're in the minority in this country and we're in a post Constitutional America. The Constitution hangs by a thread, just as the prophets said it would in the last days.