Domion Suit Against Fox is Heading to Trial

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Domion Suit Against Fox is Heading to Trial

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:17 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:26 pm

Because of the claims against individual show hosts?
Wouldn't the show hosts use respondeat superior to let Fox handle this burden?
I’m not sure how respondeat superior works in a defamation case against a public figure under New York law.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:58 pm
I’m not sure how respondeat superior works in a defamation case against a public figure under New York law.
Since Fox has let them lie nonstop for years and given them raises in the meantime, they could argue they were just doing the master's bidding of foisting lies and undermining democracy.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:05 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:06 am
In other words, FNN is claiming that it is perfectly acceptable to repeat and even promote even the most egregious and damaging lie imaginable, as long as they don't claim to actually believe the lie themselves. Is that it? :roll:
Not quite. They claim that they didn’t repeat the lie. They just reported that other people were telling the lie.
That seems to me a distinction without a substantive difference when they make little or no effort to fact check the lie, despite having admitted they know it's a lie in private amongst themselves or after having claimed as a defense, while under oath, that no reasonable person would believe it anyway.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:16 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:58 pm
Since Fox has let them lie nonstop for years and given them raises in the meantime, they could argue they were just doing the master's bidding of foisting lies and undermining democracy.
I’m not sure that’s a legal defense for the individual defendants.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:31 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:05 pm

Not quite. They claim that they didn’t repeat the lie. They just reported that other people were telling the lie.
That seems to me a distinction without a substantive difference when they make little or no effort to fact check the lie, despite having admitted they know it's a lie in private amongst themselves or after having claimed as a defense, while under oath, that no reasonable person would believe it anyway.
At any point, did Fox point out that it was a lie, or something other people wanted to believe?

It certainly stretches credulity to believe Fox was just "commenting on the controversy."
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think Fox should be held responsible for melting the brains of the residents of Shasta County, California. Even though Ajax might hold this brain melting to be a good thing, I disagree.

ByTW, the Board of Supervisors for this county is working with Mike Lindell to provide the vote count rather than Dominion. Ajax would probably attribute it to the rightful role of white pillows to ensure a conservative vote win.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:25 pm
ByTW, the Board of Supervisors for this county is working with Mike Lindell to provide the vote count rather than Dominion. Ajax would probably attribute it to the rightful role of white pillows to ensure a conservative vote win.
Lindell is the perfect spokesperson for people who are against waking up.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:25 pm
The Shasta County Board of Supervisors recently voted 3 to 2 to count all of the county ballots by hand.
After Shasta County ended its contract with Dominion Voting Systems over election fraud conspiracy theories, there were two options county leaders considered: 1) Enter an agreement with a different electronic voting system certified by the state of California, or 2) Attempt to count all ballots by hand — which would come at a very steep cost and risk falling out of compliance with state law — and apparently hope that My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell pays the legal fees stemming from any possible lawsuits.

Guess which option the five-person board — now led by a conservative supermajority — chose.

"The whole thing is just hard to absorb and I'm in a little bit of shock," county elections chief Cathy Darling Allen told SFGATE on Tuesday evening, after the board voted 3-2 to hand-count all ballots. The vote came at the tail end of a laborious nine-hour meeting.
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article ... 865649.php
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Hand counting paper ballots takes a very long time to do. The Cyber Ninjas with their volunteers took about three months to hand count all of the about two million Maricopa County paper ballots. And that was only counting two contests on those ballots.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:30 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:31 am

At any point, did Fox point out that it was a lie, or something other people wanted to believe?

It certainly stretches credulity to believe Fox was just "commenting on the controversy."
Agreed! Merely commenting on these lies told by others, with little or no effort to even hint that they may lack credibility indicates that they were perfectly okay with their audience believing the lies, and probably even perceived some monetary or other advantage to themselves in having their audience believe the lies rather than the truth.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.