Who Had It Worse, Trump or Jesus Christ?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Who Had It Worse, Trump or Jesus Christ?

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

In MAGA-world and Christian Nationalism circles, many Trump supporters see his imminent arrest as eerily similar to the crucification of Jesus Christ.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5ypd4/ ... ationalism

It's disturbing that tens of millions of people can be so deluded. But it's important to accept that it's real and realize that people like this control the Republican Party in almost every state.
Lawyer Joseph McBride, who is representing a handful of Jan. 6 defendants, thinks that the timing of Trump’s likely arrest is notable.

“President Trump will be arrested during lent—a time of suffering and purification for the followers of Jesus Christ,” McBride wrote on Twitter. “As Christ was crucified, and then rose again on the 3rd day, so too will @realdonaldtrump.” ...

Trump’s base worshiped him as a heaven-sent, Christ-like figure, despite his crass language, reported philandering, and scant evidence that he regularly attended church before running for president. His presidency helped usher in a new era of Christian nationalism, a right-wing philosophy whose adherents believe Trump is on a mission to restore God's kingdom in America by transforming its laws and cultural institutions to reflect evangelical Christian values. A widely-cited study identified Christian nationalism as the dominant ideology among the Jan. 6 Capitol rioters. And there’s even a book, “President Donald J. Trump, The Son of Man—The Christ,” written by a Trump supporter.

In the Christian nationalist theological framework, all manner of right-wing culture war issues, including drag shows, COVID-19 vaccines, and now the looming indictment of Trump, became primordial battles between good and evil.
Whatever happens to Trump in the future, the crazed fundamentalists who dominate the Republican party are not going anywhere. Their malignant and irrational beliefs must be defeated across the board politically.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Who Had It Worse, Trump or Jesus Christ?

Post by Some Schmo »

Well, I think we should give them what they want and crucify Trump. Let's see if he comes back from the dead.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:04 pm
Well, I think we should give them what they want and crucify Trump. Let's see if he comes back from the dead.
I hope you realize the danger of that. The last thing we should do is further reinforce Trump's already existing martyr status in their eyes.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:57 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
I hope you realize the danger of that. The last thing we should do is further reinforce Trump's already existing martyr status in their eyes.
Well, I'm not so confident people will take my suggestion seriously anyway.

I'm guessing even evangelicals suspect he's not really Jesus and wouldn't bounce back from torture. They can claim he's Jesus because nobody is going to bother fact-checking such an idiotic idea.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Some Schmo wrote:
What is important is not whether he actually does come back to life, but whether enough people believe the inevitable bunch of extreme Trump believers who say he has manifested himself to a group of them and commanded them to carry on his work while he goes to prepare a place for all his true supporters in the great Mar-a-Lago in the sweet bye and bye.

Something like that can start a movement that lasts for centuries ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.