Republicans openly calling to de-fund the police now

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Republicans openly calling to de-fund the police now

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

After lying for years with false accusations that high-level Democrats want to "defund" law enforcement agencies, Republicans led by Donald Trump are calling to zero out the budget of the FBI and the DOJ.

Once Trump began being held accountable for a tiny fraction of his life-long crime spree, Republicans want to destroy law and order. And they're not shy about it any more. They want to destroy any government agency that isn't afraid of Trump's fascist intimidation tactics.

From Trump:
“Republicans in Congress should defund the DOJ and FBI until they come to their senses. The Democrats have totally weaponized law enforcement in our country and are viciously using this abuse of power to interfere with our already under siege elections!”
Congressional Republicans love defunding the federal police as well:
At an event last summer, for example, Republican Rep. Andy Biggs, the former chair of the right-wing House Freedom Caucus, talked up possible priorities if the GOP took control of the House. “There are things you can do,” the Arizonan said, reflecting on Congress’ power. “You start defunding some of these bad agencies. The FBI. The DOJ.”

After the search at Donald Trump’s glorified country club, similar talk became much louder. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, for example, became a leading proponent of “defunding” the FBI. Last month, Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida told a far-right audience, “We either get this government back on our side or we defund and get rid of, abolish the FBI, the CDC, ATF, DOJ, every last one of them if they do not come to heel.”

This past weekend, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan told Fox News, “We control the power of the purse, and that’s, we’re gonna have to look at the appropriations process and limit funds going to some of these agencies, particularly the ones who are engaging in the most egregious behavior.”

When the host asked if he was referring to the FBI and the Department of Justice, the Ohio Republican said he was.

Kishkumen
God

Re: Republicans openly calling to de-fund the police now

Post by Kishkumen »

Well . . . .

Local law enforcement is well staffed with white supremacists and Neo-Nazis.

Federal law enforcement? Not so much.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

After lying for years with false accusations that high-level Democrats want to "defund" law enforcement agencies
A lie huh? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez specifically said she wanted to defund the police and replace it with more welfare. If that's your definition of a lie, now I can understand a little better what it means when you say Trump lies all the time.
Like the scorpion unit down in Memphis?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:52 am
After lying for years with false accusations that high-level Democrats want to "defund" law enforcement agencies
A lie huh? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez specifically said she wanted to defund the police and replace it with more welfare. If that's your definition of a lie, now I can understand a little better what it means when you say Trump lies all the time.
I didn’t see a request for ‘more welfare’ in her most widely shared reply regarding ‘defunding’ the police. Maybe there’s something else you’re referring to?
"We call for a national defunding of police. We demand investment in our communities and the resources to ensure Black people not only survive, but thrive."

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is among the proponents of the call to defund the police, and a recent post on her Instagram story on the subject quickly went viral, after it was screenshotted and shared by Twitter user Ashley Quan. Asked, "What does an America with defunded police look like to you?" Ocasio-Cortez responded:

“The good news is that it actually doesn't take a ton of imagination.

It looks like a suburb. Affluent white communities already live in a world where the choose to fund youth, health, housing etc more than they fund police. These communities have lower crime rates not because they have more police, but bc they have more resources to support healthy society in a way that reduces crime.”

https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/media/i ... nswer-went
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

As per usual, Confederate Ajax did not address the actual content of my remarks. He's so uninformed that he doesn't realize that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is not a leader in the Democratic Party. She never has been. Only Foxified low information people believe otherwise.

And of course, he didn't address the actual subject of the OP, which was undeniable proof that the top Republican wants to destroy law enforcement agencies. Trump is a radical tyrant wannabe who refuses to submit to the rule of law.

But his opinions won't matter, only a judge and potentially a jury of his peers.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:52 am
Like the scorpion unit down in Memphis?
Boring and irrelevant whataboutism yet again. You have a tick.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

"Defund the police" was the dumbest dysphemism for police reform I have ever seen.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:25 am
"Defund the police" was the dumbest dysphemism for police reform I have ever seen.
First time I had ever heard of this was from FOX news and other Right Wingers. I heard them yap about it for months before I was ever presented any evidence that anyone of the Left had suggested it, and even then it turned out they were willfully misrepresenting what was being argued (surprise!).

Same thing with "Wokeism."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:17 pm
First time I had ever heard of this was from FOX news and other Right Wingers. I heard them yap about it for months before I was ever presented any evidence that anyone of the Left had suggested it, and even then it turned out they were willfully misrepresenting what was being argued (surprise!).

Same thing with "Wokeism."
That sounds nice, but I can assure you that Defund the Police and Woke are both terms that started on the Left, regardless of how they were subsequently and effectively weaponized by nut bars on the Right. I mean, the idea of police reform that was attached to the poor choice of terms was a good one, but it was a poor choice of terms. It is like I say about Rome's bad emperors, you can rehabilitate their memories from the historian's chair, but they must have done something wrong to be so hated. At the very least, they poorly managed their relationship with the senatorial class.

Here it is the case that the Right in America does a better job of lampooning the rhetoric of the Left, and the Left pays dearly for it. And to a certain extent that is on the Left. It's their choice to leave themselves open to those hits.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The first time I heard this term was during the George Floyd riots.

Kinda hard to miss it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.