Gifts to Clarence Thomas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Gifts to Clarence Thomas

Post by Moksha »

Conservative Institutions have been treating the Appellate Courts to Caribbean vacations for years to provide them "education to be pro-Trusts". We learned about that when Microsoft had its anti-trust trial. Wherever there is conservative money there will be conservative corruption. I imagine the Trump appointees all enjoyed this week-long Caribbean junket every year and learned the wisdom of maintaining trusts.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Is it right for the highest court in the land to have the lowest ethical standards?
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:38 am

1. That was Abe Fortas who resigned during the Nixon Administration. I wouldn’t describe it as being far less egregious. He accepted the equivalent of $150,000/year in today’s dollars, for life, with payments to continue to his wife until she died for unspecified advice from a friend and former client who was under indictment for securities fraud. There was some evidence that the friend wanted Fortas to persuade his friend then-president Johnson to grant him a pardon if he was convicted.

Nixon directed the Attorney General to investigate Fortas, which he did. Future Justice William Rehnquist played a role in the investigation. Nixon wanted Fortas out so he could replace him with a conservative Justice. The AG persuaded Fortas to resign. Fortas has accepted only one annual payment. He paid it back and never accepted another.

2. I don’t know.

3. Unlike every other Judge in the US, Supreme Court Justices are not subject to a set of ethics rules. The Constitutional check on the Supreme Court is impeachment by Congress. I think it’s still an open question as to the executive branch’s constitutional power to investigate or prosecute a sitting Justice.
Thank you for your answer.

I don't know what kind of law you practice, but I'm guessing you've run into people laymen that think they know the law better than you. I experience this as a nurse all the time. It's been worse since covid.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Father Francis wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:20 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:38 am

1. That was Abe Fortas who resigned during the Nixon Administration. I wouldn’t describe it as being far less egregious. He accepted the equivalent of $150,000/year in today’s dollars, for life, with payments to continue to his wife until she died for unspecified advice from a friend and former client who was under indictment for securities fraud. There was some evidence that the friend wanted Fortas to persuade his friend then-president Johnson to grant him a pardon if he was convicted.

Nixon directed the Attorney General to investigate Fortas, which he did. Future Justice William Rehnquist played a role in the investigation. Nixon wanted Fortas out so he could replace him with a conservative Justice. The AG persuaded Fortas to resign. Fortas has accepted only one annual payment. He paid it back and never accepted another.

2. I don’t know.

3. Unlike every other Judge in the US, Supreme Court Justices are not subject to a set of ethics rules. The Constitutional check on the Supreme Court is impeachment by Congress. I think it’s still an open question as to the executive branch’s constitutional power to investigate or prosecute a sitting Justice.

I don't know what kind of law you practice, but I'm guessing you've run into people laymen that think they know the law better than you. I experience this as a nurse all the time. It's been worse since covid.
There are lots of laypeople that know areas of law better than I do. I’m pretty good when I’m in my main practice area or an area I keep up on because I’m interested. There are areas of law I know nothing about. Too many specialties!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:56 am
Father Francis wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:20 am

There are lots of laypeople that know areas of law better than I do. I’m pretty good when I’m in my main practice area or an area I keep up on because I’m interested. There are areas of law I know nothing about. Too many specialties!
I should have known to be more specific when communicating with a lawyer. Your lot are as interested in semantics as my son. He started studying linguistics at the age of ten when he started writing his own language. We've had arguments over etymology, phonemes, etc. since then. I get the specialty thing though. As a nurse I know the best drugs and procedures related to the areas I've practiced in. I guess the difference is that nurses change jobs often. I've worked in things ranging from psychology to intensive care to pediatrics to hospice. Some of those crossed over. If asked about cancer meds I would know very little.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Those rapscallions at ProPublica are at it again.
In early July 2008, Samuel Alito stood on a riverbank in a remote corner of Alaska. The Supreme Court justice was on vacation at a luxury fishing lodge that charged more than $1,000 a day, and after catching a king salmon nearly the size of his leg, Alito posed for a picture. To his left, a man stood beaming: Paul Singer, a hedge fund billionaire who has repeatedly asked the Supreme Court to rule in his favor in high-stakes business disputes.

Singer was more than a fellow angler. He flew Alito to Alaska on a private jet. If the justice chartered the plane himself, the cost could have exceeded $100,000 one way.

In the years that followed, Singer’s hedge fund came before the court at least 10 times in cases where his role was often covered by the legal press and mainstream media.
Link
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:02 pm
Those rapscallions at ProPublica are at it again.
In early July 2008, Samuel Alito stood on a riverbank in a remote corner of Alaska. The Supreme Court justice was on vacation at a luxury fishing lodge that charged more than $1,000 a day, and after catching a king salmon nearly the size of his leg, Alito posed for a picture. To his left, a man stood beaming: Paul Singer, a hedge fund billionaire who has repeatedly asked the Supreme Court to rule in his favor in high-stakes business disputes.

Singer was more than a fellow angler. He flew Alito to Alaska on a private jet. If the justice chartered the plane himself, the cost could have exceeded $100,000 one way.

In the years that followed, Singer’s hedge fund came before the court at least 10 times in cases where his role was often covered by the legal press and mainstream media.
Link
Sounds kinda like the deep state Ajax swears exists. He may be onto something.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.