Gifts to Clarence Thomas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Gifts to Clarence Thomas

Post by ajax18 »

Will the Right do the right thing, or will they whatabout some lie about the Bidens to justify their own corruption?

- Doc
We'll follow the same precedents the deep state has set over the past 6 years with President Trump and yes, all those "lies" about Joe and Hunter Biden.

Under the two tiered partisan political justice system that we currently have, the media and liberal districts with liberal judges and juries see leakers as national heros when the content of the leak favors their partisan political narrative, i.e. the Dobbs decision and the subsequent threats on the life of Brett Kavanaugh, and protests at the homes of the supreme court justices. Now with our latest leaker, who is believed to be from the right, the content of the leak is ignored and the media's focus is on how to contain and cover up the leaks. The leaker has been promptly found and arrested unlike the leaker of the Supreme Court's Dobb's decision, or even the highest of the deep state leakers, namely Jim Comey himself. None of those leakers as far as I know have ever been brought to justice.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:03 am
Will the Right do the right thing, or will they whatabout some lie about the Bidens to justify their own corruption?

- Doc
We'll follow the same precedents the deep state has set over the past 6 years with President Trump and yes, all those "lies" about Joe and Hunter Biden.

Under the two tiered partisan political justice system that we currently have, the media and liberal districts with liberal judges and juries see leakers as national heros when the content of the leak favors their partisan political narrative, i.e. the Dobbs decision and the subsequent threats on the life of Brett Kavanaugh, and protests at the homes of the supreme court justices. Now with our latest leaker, who is believed to be from the right, the content of the leak is ignored and the media's focus is on how to contain and cover up the leaks. The leaker has been promptly found and arrested unlike the leaker of the Supreme Court's Dobb's decision, or even the highest of the deep state leakers, namely Jim Comey himself. None of those leakers as far as I know have ever been brought to justice.
I don’t know why, but I feel like this is the appropriate response to Xanax today:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

It’s also a great response to Mike Parker and Robert Boylan.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Abe Fortas Was First Supreme Court Justice Forced to Resign in 1969. Should Clarence Thomas Be Next?
As pressure grows on Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to resign over his decades-long relationship with a billionaire benefactor, we speak with legal journalist Adam Cohen, who says there is a precedent that should guide lawmakers in how to address the growing scandal. In 1969, Justice Abe Fortas was forced to resign after his financial relationship came to light with businessman Louis Wolfson, who paid Fortas to consult for his foundation. Fortas was a Democratic appointee, but the scandal led to a bipartisan call for his resignation — even though his replacement would be named by Republican President Richard Nixon and shift the balance of the court. Cohen writes in a guest essay for The New York Times that the strong, bipartisan outrage against Fortas "is both a blueprint for how lawmakers could respond today and a benchmark of how far we have fallen."
What Abe Fortas did was considerably less egregious than what Clarence Thomas is evidently guilty of, yet there was a bi-partisan effort to force him to resign. Fortas was a Democrat and Richard Nixon was President, yet Democrats put the integrity of the Supreme Court ahead of partisan politics and agreed with forcing Fortas to resign, despite knowing that one consequence would certainly be the flipping of one of the seats on the court from Democrat to Republican. I fervently wish today's Republican leadership had that kind of integrity and fairness!
Last edited by Gunnar on Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:19 am
I fervently wish today's Republican leadership had that kind of integrity and fairness!
Today's Republican party has been stripped bare of those virtues.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:27 am
Gunnar wrote:
I fervently wish today's Republican leadership had that kind of integrity and fairness!
Today's Republican party has been stripped bare of those virtues.
Yup! Today's Republican party and the conservative judges they have for decades feverishly been trying to stuff the courts with at all levels are almost exclusively concerned with augmenting the power and wealth of the ultra rich and famous without limit at the expense of the poor, democracy and fairness be damned! This is made all the more stupid by the fact that, according to several studies, despite all their wealth, most of the ultra-wealthy and powerful are miserably unhappy with their lot. Yet they still relentlessly strive to acquire more and more of what has demonstrably and repeatedly failed to make them happy! Isn't this the very definition of insanity?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The only other person to resign from the Supreme Court was Abe Fortas, and what Clarence Thomas is guilty of far exceeds what Fortas was accused of.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Gunnar wrote:
Fortas was a Democrat and Ronald Reagan was President, . . .
Ronald Reagan was President in 1969?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

DaveIsHere wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:06 pm
She should have died in office or at least, understanding the same, should've stepped aside, right?
She did die in office.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:12 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Fortas was a Democrat and Ronald Reagan was President, . . .
Ronald Reagan was President in 1969?
:oops: Sorry, Nixon was president at the time -- It even said that in the quote I included. I don't know how my brain confused that even after watching and quoting the video. :oops: Thanks for catching that! I've corrected my post.