Do some Black people resent their own race?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Do some Black people resent their own race?

Post by Vēritās »

It has always boggled my mind how any black person would believe in, let alone make it a life long commitment to push talking points that tend to belittle their own race. But then I remembered an episode of Jerry Springer back in the late 90's, where he hosted black guests who said they hated the fact that they were black; not because they felt oppressed, but because they felt black people were generally an ugly and lazy race. It really blew me away to know that there were actually black people out there who resented their own race and felt they were inferior. Then around the turn of the 21st century I came across some black comedians who actually mocked other black people for being "too black" (think of the Chapelle Show and the Charlie Murphy skits where Rick James called him and his brother "darkness"). I remember Kat Williams doing a standup and criticizing black people who were going for white people or black people who were lighter in color. I never knew if it was a real thing or not, but based on his audience's reaction, it sure seemed to be.

Anyway, then I started to think about all of the black people Republicans use to push racist talking points. When it comes to Black Conservative intellectuals the first two names that come to my mind are Thomas Sowell and Clarence Thomas. I suspect most people would have them in their top five at least. Then there are modern day pundits like Candace Owens and weird anomalies like Herschel Walker who argue the same things about how black people make their own beds, do drugs, commit crimes, condone fatherless homes, etc. Basically the old argument that they need to pull themselves up from their bootstraps and stop allowing Democrats to confine them to modern slavery which is the welfare state, bla bla bla. It has been a favorite talking point among white nationalists and it gives them some level of credibility when they can point to black people who argue the same things. "How can we be racist when black people agree?"

So, I came across this list of the most influencial black Republicans. Not all of them were influencial in socio-political ways, but many of them were. Sowell and Thomas were listed, but Jason Riley was listed as #7. He is a Wall Street Journal editorial writer; author, “Please Stop Helping Us." Congresswoman Mia Love was at #5. At #8 was Michael Powell — former chairman, Federal Communications Commission. At #9 is Texas Congressman Will Hurd.

So what do all of these people have in common aside from being Republicans who have at some point pushed these talking points that white make nationalists blush? It would be absurd to say they despise their own race, right?

Maybe. But there is one common denominator that seems to be overlooked. Overlooked intentionally perhaps because to bring it up might lead to accusations of more racism. But here it is.

They all married white spouses. So what does that mean? Maybe nothing, but the correlation is intriguing to say the least. I mean with the exception of Ben Carson and Herman Cain, I couldn't find anyone else in that (top 20) list who met the criteria above (pushing white nationalists talking points) and didn't marry outside their own race.

Thomas Sowell was married twice, both times to white women. Now, obviously today that wouldn't seem odd at all, but in 1964 it was extremely rare (less than 2%) for a black man marry a white woman.

Clarence Thomas married a white woman back in 1987 when only 4% of black men married white women.

Herschel Walker pushes the same talking points belittling black America. The four women we know he was either married to or was romantically involved with, were all white women.

Candace Owens, we all know pushes these arguments perhaps more fervently than anyone in this list. She recently married a white guy.

Michael Powell, a guy I had never heard of before but I googled him to find out he married a blonde haired white woman in 1988.

Will Hurd married Lynlie Wallace, who is white.

Tim Scott met the criteria but both he and Condoleeza Rice have never married.

So why does it seem to be the case that every time a white nationalist on social media uses a black conservative to push these subtly racist talking points about how the plight of the black man is one of his own making etc ... it comes from someone who chose to marry white? I'm all for interracial marriage, but is this just some crazy coincidence and isn't about them having hidden biases towards their own race?

Or maybe this just means they've married whit because they've put themselves in social systems that are predominantly white? If that is the case then they have no business pretending to understand or be an expert on black America.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Re: Do some Black people resent their own race?

Post by Vēritās »

I came a across this today on Twitter and thought to myself, totally forgot about Byron Donalds.
BD.jpg
BD.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 509 times
This guy is endorsing a notorious racist who single handedly made white supremacy great again.

So I googled his wife, and lo and behold...

BD-wife.jpg
BD-wife.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 509 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

So, does everyone in an interracial marriage resent their race, or is it only black folks?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:54 pm
So, does everyone in an interracial marriage resent their race, or is it only black folks?
He caveated his post by saying “some.”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:55 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:54 pm

- Doc
OK, I’m happy to amend my question to “some.”
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:10 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:55 pm

- Doc
OK, I’m happy to amend my question to “some.”
ETA: I take that back. Here is the text that I think is relevant:
Veritas wrote: So why does it seem to be the case that every time a white nationalist on social media uses a black conservative to push these subtly racist talking points about how the plight of the black man is one of his own making etc ... it comes from someone who chose to marry white? I'm all for interracial marriage, but is this just some crazy coincidence and isn't about them having hidden biases towards their own race?

Or maybe this just means they've married whit because they've put themselves in social systems that are predominantly white? If that is the case then they have no business pretending to understand or be an expert on black America.
I’ll amend it to all political leaders in interracial marriages.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

I dunno. This comes off as a weirdly roundabout way of saying some people should stick to their own kind, and if they don’t they’re race traitors, or self-loathing, or whatever. Can some white people pan WASPs or rednecks or marry a Latina or Asian or *insert ethnic group* and not hate being white? Can the same be said for any other race? Also, if race is a social construct then who gives a crap if a black person is a Republican since that’s a social construct, too?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

First of all, I think interracial relationships are GREAT and I I think more people should try it. I believe that the most beautiful people in the world (my wife included) are products of interracial relationships.

But that's irrelevant to my observation here. The fact is interracial relationships were extremely rare when Thomas and Sowell married three different white women (between them). If it were just a couple examples here and there in the 21st century I wouldn't think much of it, but the fact that it seems to be the overwhelming majority of the "look at this black person who is a Republican and believes the government is enslaving them with welfare" people, seems to suggest something else. Is it just a crazy coincidence? I mean lets take 10 of the most prominent black figures in the Civil Rights movement (literally the opposite of what today's Right Wing stands for). Do we see the same trend?

Prominent folks like Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, W. E. B. Du Bois , Medgar Evers, Oscar Micheaux etc. All married black women. Or maybe we should just look at today's most prominent black Democrats like Maxine Waters, Al Sharpton, Barack Obama, Raphael G. Warnock, Cory A. Booker, etc. I'm sure there has to be some who are married to white spouses but they seem to be outliers (i.e. Kamala Harris if you consider her Black).

This is just an observation I think many people recognize but are fearful to mention. I think the point is that for a political cult that is constantly pushing for legislation that hurts minorities, blaming minorities for their own problems, supporting white nationalist initiatives, etc. then it shouldn't be surprising that their most prominent go-to black spokespersons just might have some level of resentment towards their own race.
Last edited by Vēritās on Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:18 pm
I dunno. This comes off as a weirdly roundabout way of saying some people should stick to their own kind, and if they don’t they’re race traitors, or self-loathing, or whatever.
Not at all. Well, "self-loathing, or whatever" maybe.
Can some white people pan WASPs or rednecks or marry a Latina or Asian or *insert ethnic group* and not hate being white?
Of course. But if the top ten most prominent white members of the civil rights movement were all married to black women, then that might suggest something along the same lines, like "white guilt."

Ultimately I think this hurts their credibility among the black communities who lean Left, who might feel like these Republicans cannot possibly identify with them or understand the plight of what black America suffers through because they seem to be going out of their way to join the rich white people's club. As such, how could they possibly identify with their own race along socio-economic lines?
Last edited by Vēritās on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:55 pm
This is just an observation I think many people recognize but are fearful to mention.
Well. They’d probably be called a bigot by people who like to call people bigots. Or racist by people who like to call people racist.

- Doc