Do some Black people resent their own race?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Do some Black people resent their own race?

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:04 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:55 pm
This is just an observation I think many people recognize but are fearful to mention.
Well. They’d probably be called a bigot by people who like to call people bigots. Or racist by people who like to call people racist.

- Doc
Because most people fail to grasp the nuance of complex issues.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:06 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:04 pm

Well. They’d probably be called a bigot by people who like to call people bigots. Or racist by people who like to call people racist.

- Doc
Isn’t that what racists like to say?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:09 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:06 pm

Not in my experience. No.

Can you provide an example?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'm thinking in terms of fundamental attribution error. I think that what Veritas is observing is not due to some individual characteristics that all of these black folks share. I think it is likely due to how people generally meet their spouses and the racial composition of the pool of conservatives and far right conservatives. There may also be a conscious or unconscious bias working in favor of black folks with white spouses being accepted into the circles to which movers and shakers in the conservative world belong.

Although black folks in the U.S. heavily vote for democrats, in my opinion, it should not surprise anyone that there are black conservatives. Being black and conservative requires no more 'splaining than being white and conservative. As someone who is not a black person, I don't think it's my business to designate which black folks are qualified to talk about what's best for black folks.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Take Herschel Walker for example. Literally every known relationship he's had (and there are many) has been with white women, beginning in 1982 when such a thing was borderline blasphemous in Georgia. Given there is no shortage of attractive black women in his orbit, is it really such a stretch to say he prefers to be with white women? Does that in and of itself mean he "loathes" his own race? No, but it strongly suggests that he is, at the very least, not attracted to women of his own race. Loathing his own race could be a possible explanation for that when it is coupled with the racist rhetoric he pushes.

Personally I don't give a flying flip what a man is attracted to as long as it doesn't involve children or animals. I found myself more attracted to mixed races over time but I mostly dated white women before getting married because that's who I mostly came in contact with. But the point is Herschel is a political figure who pushes racist talking points. If he wasn't joined by a slew of other prominent black Conservatives who also stuck to marrying white people and who stick to the right wing narrative that systemic racism doesn't exist, then I wouldn't have thought much of it.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:22 pm
Being black and conservative requires no more 'splaining than being white and conservative.
Normally I would agree, but in this instance we're talking about being black and pushing an anti-Black narrative that only cloaks itself in the guise of "Conservatism."
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:16 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:09 pm

:roll:
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
I don't think it's my business to designate which black folks are qualified to talk about what's best for black folks.
But black communities likely feel it is their business. I wish I could remember who it was, but it was a stand up comedian who mentioned this in their skit. It wasn't in the context of black politicians though; it was about people in general who speak as though they're in touch with black America while opting for the life of the white man.

Does Candace Owens help her credibility among black communities when speaking about the causes of and solutions for black poverty, after marrying a white billionaire hedge fund manager? I'm guessing no.
Last edited by Vēritās on Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:40 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:16 pm

:roll:
So, your question was rhetorical. OK.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:39 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Being black and conservative requires no more 'splaining than being white and conservative.
Normally I would agree, but in this instance we're talking about being black and pushing an anti-Black narrative that only cloaks itself in the guise of "Conservatism."
Not being a black person, I don't think I'm in a position to be telling black people that they are pushing an anti-black narrative.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.