Do some Black people resent their own race?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Do some Black people resent their own race?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:43 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:22 pm
I don't think it's my business to designate which black folks are qualified to talk about what's best for black folks.
But black communities likely feel it is their business. I wish I could remember who it was, but it was a stand up comedian who mentioned this in their skit. It wasn't in the context of black politicians though; it was about people in general who speak as though they're in touch with black America while opting for the life of the white man.

Does Candace Owens help her credibility among black communities when speaking about the causes of and solutions for black poverty, after marrying a white billionaire hedge fund manager? I'm guessing no.
Not being a member of a "black community," I don't know what they 'likely feel." I am white, however. Can you explain to me what this "life of the white man" looks like? I want to make sure I'm living the life that matches my skin color.

I have no idea how much credibility Candace Owen has among "black communities." I also have no idea whether "black communities" discount what other black people say based on who they marry.

Black folks have written lots of books about how and what they think. Maybe we should read some.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Maybe having white in-laws gives a Black politician an edge in knowing how to appeal to white voters. Sitting across the dinner table from people for years is probably helpful in bridging cultural divides.

How many successful politicians of any identifiable group are married to people from another group? If you’re going into politics, it might be a good idea in general.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I’m just glad Pat Mahomes hated black people so much he married a white woman, otherwise we might’ve been deprived of his son’s excellence on and off the field.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:24 pm
How many successful politicians of any identifiable group are married to people from another group? If you’re going into politics, it might be a good idea in general.
Good point. But if that is the case here, then we're talking about black politicians trying to appeal to white voters; who support racist policies but want to believe they're not racists. i.e. "So what if I believe school lunches should be paid for by the parents only and that disproportionately affects poor black kids; I can't be racist because I voted for Byron Donalds and agrees with me!"

Otherwise who else would they be trying to reach out to?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:02 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:43 pm

But black communities likely feel it is their business. I wish I could remember who it was, but it was a stand up comedian who mentioned this in their skit. It wasn't in the context of black politicians though; it was about people in general who speak as though they're in touch with black America while opting for the life of the white man.

Does Candace Owens help her credibility among black communities when speaking about the causes of and solutions for black poverty, after marrying a white billionaire hedge fund manager? I'm guessing no.
Not being a member of a "black community," I don't know what they 'likely feel." I am white, however. Can you explain to me what this "life of the white man" looks like? I want to make sure I'm living the life that matches my skin color.

I have no idea how much credibility Candace Owen has among "black communities." I also have no idea whether "black communities" discount what other black people say based on who they marry.

Black folks have written lots of books about how and what they think. Maybe we should read some.
I'd suggest that this notion that one can better understand black culture from merely reading a book, probably explains why so many of your remarks on the subject begin with "I have no idea."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:31 pm
I’m just glad Pat Mahomes hated black people so much he married a white woman, otherwise we might’ve been deprived of his son’s excellence on and off the field.

- Doc
Nah, that would be opposite of what's being said here. And pretty racist too. But we know you're just trolling here.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:52 pm

Not being a black person, I don't think I'm in a position to be telling black people that they are pushing an anti-black narrative.
Seems a bit off to suggest only a black person can understand what an anti-black narrative would be. Slavery, Jim Crow and the KKK were also anti-black, but black people don't rely strictly on other black people to explain that to them.

But no one is suggesting we tell black people anything.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Holy crap. Turns out there is a study relating to this.

https://spcl.yale.edu/sites/default/fil ... el2009.pdf

I just found it and will be reading through it later, but this jumped out at me at the beginning:
White conservatives were less likely than White liberals to desire Black (interracial) relative to White potential romantic partners. In contrast, Black participants’ political conservatism negatively predicted the strength of the ingroup-favoring bias: Consistent with system-justification theory, Black conservatives were more likely than Black liberals to desire White (interracial) relative to Black potential
I probably should have looked up these kinds of studies before posting, but... here we are. :lol:
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Jesus. I didn't realize there are 52 black members of Congress and 48 of them are Democrat.

The four Republicans are all males: Byron Donalds, Tim Scott, Wesley Hunt, and John James. We already covered Scott and Donalds, so I thought to look up the wives of the other two guys, and lo and behold:
wesleyhunt.jpg
wesleyhunt.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 228 times
johnjames.jpg
johnjames.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 228 times
So literally 100% of all married black Republican members of Congress. Three is a small group to test I admit, but that's one more than the 48 Democrats had.

Of the 48 black Democrats in Congress, only two married a white person (Colin Allred and Glenn Ivey).

Here are the others:

Corey Booker
Raphael Warnock
Alma Adams
Lisa Rochester Blunt
Jamaal Bowman
Shontel Brown
Cori Bush
Andre Carson
Troy Carter
Sheila McCormick Cherfilus
Emanuel Cleaver
James Clyburn
Jasmine Crockett
Danny Davis
Donald Davis
Dwight Evans
Valerie Foushee
Maxwell Frost
Jahana Hayes
Sheila Lee Jackson
Jonathan Jackson
Hakeem Jeffries
Henry Johnson
Robin Kelly
Barbara Lee
Summer Lee
Gregory Meeks
Kweisi Mfume
Gwen Moore
Joe Neguse
Eleanor Holmes Norton
Stacey Plaskett
Ayanna Pressley
David Scott
Robert C. Scott
Terri Sewell
Marilyn Strickland
Emilia Strong Sykes
Bennie Thompson
Ritchie Torres
Lauren Underwood
Marc Veasey
Maxine Waters
Bonnie Watson
Frederica Wilson

I don't know. Maybe this tells us more about the Republican party than it does how people feel about their own race. I firmly believe Republican policies tend to be racist and I also believe racists overwhelmingly vote Republican. So, could it be then, that black congressmen in Red areas stand a better chance at getting elected when married to white women?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:08 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:52 pm

Not being a black person, I don't think I'm in a position to be telling black people that they are pushing an anti-black narrative.
Seems a bit off to suggest only a black person can understand what an anti-black narrative would be. Slavery, Jim Crow and the KKK were also anti-black, but black people don't rely strictly on other black people to explain that to them.

But no one is suggesting we tell black people anything.
Aren't you? Or are your posts only for white people?

As for your examples, are any of these black folks that you assert are pushing anti-black narratives advocating a return to slavery, re-enacting Jim Crow laws, or terrorizing black folks through KKK membership?

What I have heard and seen from politically minded black folks is a request to white folks to talk less and listen more. That includes white liberals.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.