How the American right built its own echo chamber

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

How the American right built its own echo chamber

Post by Some Schmo »

Chris Hayes presents an excellent analysis of how and why the right lives in an alternate universe.

Everything he says is known, but the distillation into a concise synopsis makes this worth watching. Chris Hayes is easily the best MSNBC has to offer. He talks about trust in this video, and it makes me realize he is one who deserves at least as much trust as anyone else in media.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Re: How the American right built its own echo chamber

Post by Some Schmo »

by the way, one of the reasons I posted this is because watching the video made me think I was watching a 101 class on cult building. Rush Limbaugh pounding into his listeners that they basically couldn't trust anyone but him is how cults gets going. Make people distrust everyone but you, get them to avoid all sources of information except yours. Trump fell into the role created by the void left for a "charismatic" leader (and by the way, if you find Trump charismatic, or find yourself swayed by what he has to say, you're already fundamentally screwed in the head. I can't think of a single public figure more transparently criminal, stupid and incompetent as the dumb orange clown. To admire him is to admit you're a damned loser).

The GOP base is essentially a large-scale LDS congregation of saps, doubling down to defend and worship a known crook.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

That is a pretty sharp presentation. I have not followed Limbaugh in any detail being inclined to think there is too much possibility of his being under the direct control of Satan.

Four corners of deceit? Academy, government, science and the media? I imagine Satan would be embarrassed to peddle such junk, beneath his standards. But then perhaps Satan has watched and realized new possibilities.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:13 pm
Chris Hayes presents an excellent analysis of how and why the right lives in an alternate universe.

Everything he says is known, but the distillation into a concise synopsis makes this worth watching. Chris Hayes is easily the best MSNBC has to offer. He talks about trust in this video, and it makes me realize he is one who deserves at least as much trust as anyone else in media.
I agree with you and huckleberry about Hayes' presentation. That was indeed a sharp and credible analysis of the mess that Republicans and FOX news have created for themselves and for others. Like you, I am totally flabbergasted how so many otherwise seemingly rational and at least somewhat historically literate people could fail to immediately discern how transparently dishonest, selfish and corrupt Trump is. I feel the same way about Rush Limbaugh. He spent his whole broadcast career trying his best to rekindle whatever bigotry still existed in American hearts and minds.

I think a big part of it is that Trump and his enablers have managed to tap into and reawaken that latent bigotry that I thought had slowly been on the wane until Trump came along. Because of the divisive rhetoric of these charlatans, many who had come to feel at least a bit uncomfortable and guilty about their still existing, latent bigotry, were now able to convince themselves that their bigotry was nothing they need feel guilty about after all.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:25 am
I think a big part of it is that Trump and his enablers have managed to tap into and reawaken that latent bigotry that I thought had slowly been on the wane until Trump came along. Because of the divisive rhetoric of these charlatans, many who had come to feel at least a bit uncomfortable and guilty about their still existing, latent bigotry, were now able to convince themselves that their bigotry was nothing they need feel guilty about after all.
Yep. Michael Steele (ex RNC Chair) said the key word for the GOP these days is "permission." Trump has given everyone in their party a sense of permission to act on their basest instincts.

Hard to argue.

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:49 pm
Yep. Michael Steele (ex RNC Chair) said the key word for the GOP these days is "permission." Trump has given everyone in their party a sense of permission to act on their basest instincts.

Hard to argue.
Exactly! I remember reading not too long after Trump's election a story about an Asian-American couple who had long standing in advance reservations to stay at a bed-and-breakfast facility in Southern California during their vacation. When they arrived to register for their reserved accommodations, the owners of the facility turned them away, telling them that "Donald Trump is our President now; we don't have to serve your kind anymore!"
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:13 pm
Chris Hayes is easily the best MSNBC has to offer.
That honor really should go to Rachel Maddow.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:49 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:25 am

Hard to argue.
As said by the online bully who only speaks according to his own basest instincts. George Soros and all the Dems in Martha's vineyard are somehow altruistic selfless people while Plumber Bob working 6 days/week who wants to limit welfare spending is somehow the real selfish bastard.

Look at the net worth of the Clintons, Obamas, Pelosis, before winning an election to public office and then look at what it is now. How does a "humaitarian" like Soros go from $2 billion in net worth to over $150 billion in under 3 years?

The person with permission is Joe Biden who knows the media will never question having Hunter Biden back travelling the world with him on Air Force 1 after what we know about how he makes a living and how he spends his money. Influence pedaling, drugs, whores, in case your echo chamber has covered it up for you, not that you would care nor would knowing any of this move the needle for any of you.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Influence pedaling, drugs, whores, in case your echo chamber has covered it up for you, not that you would care nor would knowing any of this move the needle for any of you.
You’re talking about Trump, correct? And Jared “$2B” Kushner, yes?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm
Influence pedaling, drugs, whores, in case your echo chamber has covered it up for you, not that you would care nor would knowing any of this move the needle for any of you.
You’re talking about Trump, correct? And Jared “$2B” Kushner, yes?
Good question. How do you think it would have played out if Eric or Don Jr. had done 0.00001% if the things revealed on the Hunter Biden laptop. Everyone of the 51 agents who lied to Congress that the laptop was a Russian plant and Russian disinformation would have already been put in prison for obstruction of justice. But that's just another example of the two tiered criminal justice system and the partisan unethical beliefs of a tyrannical majority of immoral people who quite frankly belong to a political party led by Satan. For someone as carnal and hateful as Schmo to call out Trump for being "selfish" is indeed an alternate reality, a reality that he chose to make for himself because it pleased his carnal instincts and lack of any kind of faith or self discipline.

And I wasn't aware of Kushner being a whoremonger or drug addict as well as committing firearm felonies which is odd given the values Hunter's gun control champion father would have clearly taught him from an early age. When he says he wants stiffer penalties for gun crimes what he means is he wants stiffer penalities only for those who fail to vote Democrat. If you voted for Biden, you're immune to oversight and prosecution.
Last edited by ajax18 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.