“I Ruined Two Birthday Parties and Learned the Limits of Psychology”

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: “I Ruined Two Birthday Parties and Learned the Limits of Psychology”

Post by Some Schmo »

Father Francis wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:41 am
Sorry you hate the truth, but Elvis stole music and I am not impressed by his vocal range. he's only slightly worse than Roy Orbison but has 10000x the fame. Not to mention his touring guitarist demanded he stop trying to play the guitar live. The guy had charisma and a baritone reaching into tenor. The artists that he inspired did so much more than he could have comprehended. Kind of like Lou Reed which is another horrible "artist" that would survive my time travel quest to eliminate popular artists due to the Elvis Rule.

Still, he's no Freddy Mercury. Freddy knew how to play multiple instruments. Freddy wrote a song that was one of the most complicated and difficult to record to date. Had an insane range. Was scientifically proven to have vibrato better than any opera artist ever recorded. He was certainly influenced by Elvis, but didn't steal music. He was also charismatic.
Agreed (although I don't mind the occasional Roy Orbison tune).

I think Elvis wouldn't be nearly as big if he'd been born in another era, but his shaking hips came at just the right time for young women to accept and be twitterbated by it en masse.

And in my humble opinion, Freddie Mercury is the greatest vocalist I've heard in my lifetime.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 12:25 am
Best wishes and pardon my suspecting only a moment of droll humor.
No need for apology. If in fact it all turns out to be harder to do than I thought, a send-up might be what I could salvage. I haven't written anything on this idea yet, so nothing has yet been lost. My first fictional project is a more straightforward paternal fantasy about a young woman who really could disrupt global climate to accomplish her goals. If the sky doesn't fall, she will push it: fear for the storm.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Father Francis wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:41 am
Sorry you hate the truth, but Elvis stole music and I am not impressed by his vocal range. he's only slightly worse than Roy Orbison but has 10000x the fame. Not to mention his touring guitarist demanded he stop trying to play the guitar live. The guy had charisma and a baritone reaching into tenor. The artists that he inspired did so much more than he could have comprehended. Kind of like Lou Reed which is another horrible "artist" that would survive my time travel quest to eliminate popular artists due to the Elvis Rule.

Still, he's no Freddy Mercury. Freddy knew how to play multiple instruments. Freddy wrote a song that was one of the most complicated and difficult to record to date. Had an insane range. Was scientifically proven to have vibrato better than any opera artist ever recorded. He was certainly influenced by Elvis, but didn't steal music. He was also charismatic.
checking google and up pops , Elvis stole hounddog from big Mama Thornton. This is more whiny than important. The song was written by two white Jewish guys and has been recorded by quite a few people. Thornton was first. that's nice but I have never heard it claimed Elvis invented the song. Calling Elvis singing the song stealing seems to me just silly. For me the song was important on the radio when I was in grade school, I could hardly wait for the guitar pieces. Scotty Moore should have gotten more credit.

There is some sort of place for noticing which musicians have the highest skill levels but that is not required to enjoy the music. In fact being a bit indifferent about that allows me to enjoy Chuck Berry, Little Richard, BB King and sometimes that Elvis fellow. I can extend this list quite a ways with people of various degree of technical chops. I can even tolerate a limited amount of Queen though that is not a group I have any focused love for. I don't turn it off if it comes up on the radio.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:01 pm

There is some sort of place for noticing which musicians have the highest skill levels but that is not required to enjoy the music. In fact being a bit indifferent about that allows me to enjoy Chuck Berry, Little Richard, BB King and sometimes that Elvis fellow. I can extend this list quite a ways with people of various degree of technical chops. I can even tolerate a limited amount of Queen though that is not a group I have any focused love for. I don't turn it off if it comes up on the radio.
It isn't about his skill level, but how his skill level is perceived. There are plenty of artists with mediocre technical skill I enjoy. Sometimes it's about their knack for songwriting. Take Bob Dylan for example. No one would say Bob Dylan is a great singer or guitarist on a technical level, but they would say they enjoy his music. Elvis fans insist he's a great singer, and plenty of people think was competent enough to play guitar on stage. He wasn't.