Talking about Racism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Talking about Racism

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:44 pm
To be sure! What makes bigotry and racism so hard to irradicate is that bigots and racists have rendered themselves incapable of recognizing their own bigotry for what it is, or that there is anything inherently wrong with it. They will utter the most vile and hateful and baseless things about nonwhite people while vehemently denying their own bigotry.
The more I think about it, the more I think that what we call racism is really people's intellectual reaction to their emotional reaction.

When people see someone who doesn't look like the people they normally associate with, they often have a visceral, biological reaction to seeing that person, and of course, the context in which they see that person matters to how they react. People will react to strangers at night differently than they do during the day, for instance.

If you're out at night and you see a stranger of another color in the vicinity, you might experience a moment of anxiety over it. To me, how you intellectually react to that anxiety is what separates real racists from not racist. If your reaction is to think, "It doesn't really matter if he's [insert race here], he poses just as much of a threat to me as any other stranger, no matter what his heritage is," then you're not a racist. If your reaction is, "Holy “F”, I better get out of here," because you think the danger is particularly worse, I think you're a racist. (by the way, if I am alone in a parking garage at night with any other man, no matter where they were from, I'd want to leave, because men can be dicks, and too many of them are carrying guns. I don't think any guy from any race is special because of their race).

To me, racism is essentially validating our tribal past, our reptilian brains, rather than trying to get over it. And the best way to get over it is to associate with as many different types of people as often as you can, because that initial reaction to strangers starts to fade. That's one of the main advantages of diversity: getting people over their racism.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ajax18
God

Re: Talking about Racism

Post by ajax18 »

To me, racism is essentially validating our tribal past, our reptilian brains, rather than trying to get over it. And the best way to get over it is to associate with as many different types of people as often as you can, because that initial reaction to strangers starts to fade. That's one of the main advantages of diversity: getting people over their racism.
If diversity is such a social panacea, do you think associating with conservatives or Mormons would help you get over your bigotry to these groups of people?

Or move your wife and daughter to Memphis for the next ten years and see if this amount of time there makes them feel more or less anxiety when a <18yoa black man (immune to criminal prosecution) approaches them to beg for money while they're pumping gas.

Under Merrick Garland's view of us as domestic terrorists, would you not be in the utter fear to visit or live in WV? Surely it's the most dangerous place on earth with all those Trump supporters with rifles in their pickup trucks? Does it put you in fear of your own mortality to drive north on I-75 to Morgantown? Where do you feel more safe Schmo, rural or urban America?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

If diversity is such a social panacea, do you think associating with conservatives or Mormons would help you get over your bigotry to these groups of people?
I can't speak for Schmo, but I grew up with Mormons and have associated with Mormons my whole life. I've never lived in an area that was known for being liberal, and certainly not currently. I know more conservatives in my neighborhood than liberals. In real life, I've known very few liberals, to be honest. I've never known in real life a liberal that tics the boxes for what you and A-Mike think defines a liberal. I don't know anyone who has taken their kids to drag book readings or marches with BLM. I've never in my life had an in real life liberal provoke me into a political discussion whereas it happens constantly with conservatives in my neighborhood. But I have ran into conservatives who check the right-wing caricature check-boxes; belief in pizzagate, QAnon, stolen election and odd antics, like one neighbor has 2 trump 2020 signs in his windows still (against HOA rules, I guess they let him anyway), a beat up truck and an ambulance shows up to his house on occasion -- they don't look too healthy.

Oh, I guess I can say this to be completely fair. There is this couple on my walk who are extremely liberal, the guy is a Phd in LGBQ studies (I've heard from others). They are quite unfriendly, and give off this really arrogant vibe. I told one of the guys who is forced to be Democrat like me (because of people like you and Trump) but would otherwise be conservative, that next time we walk by them, right as we pass by I'm going to say say something really pro Trump to my friend in passing as if I don't realize they might overhear me.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Oh, I guess I can say this to be completely fair. There is this couple on my walk who are extremely liberal, the guy is a Phd in LGBQ studies (I've heard from others). They are quite unfriendly, and give off this really arrogant vibe. I told one of the guys who is forced to be Democrat like me (because of people like you and Trump) but would otherwise be conservative, that next time we walk by them, right as we pass by I'm going to say say something really pro Trump to my friend in passing as if I don't realize they might overhear me.
:lol:

Self-righteous progressives are the worst . . . unless the alternative is authoritarianism.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:25 am
Where do you feel more safe Schmo, rural or urban America?
Japan or China, where such gun violence barely exists.

Speaking of domestic terrorists, what will the MAGAs do when Trump faces prison time?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:38 am
I can't speak for Schmo, but I grew up with Mormons and have associated with Mormons my whole life. I've never lived in an area that was known for being liberal, and certainly not currently. I know more conservatives in my neighborhood than liberals. In real life, I've known very few liberals, to be honest. I've never known in real life a liberal that tics the boxes for what you and A-Mike think defines a liberal. I don't know anyone who has taken their kids to drag book readings or marches with BLM. I've never in my life had an in real life liberal provoke me into a political discussion whereas it happens constantly with conservatives in my neighborhood. But I have ran into conservatives who check the right-wing caricature check-boxes; belief in pizzagate, QAnon, stolen election and odd antics...
This is totally true for me too (although I don't have much contact with Mormons these days). I'm not intolerant of Mormons; I'm intolerant of Mormonism (and all other forms of BS).

I consider myself conservative, but an actual fiscal conservative, not the coke-addled nonsense that passes for American conservatism these days. I don't have any beef with conservatives. My beef is with Republicans claiming they're conservative, because that's mostly BS.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

How many white folks have been murdered by chokehold on camera in the past couple of years?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ity-subway

Jordan Neely, a black homeless man got on the subway and started giving a speech about his plight as a poor, hungry, thirsty homeless man when someone from the superior race came from behind and put him in a chokehold, effectively killing the man.

The pure blood Marine is viewed as a hero obviously, and his identity has not been revealed, nor has he been charged for doing Trump's America a public service.

So much for "free speech", eh?
dsfdsfsf.jpg
dsfdsfsf.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 502 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
What are you saying or trying to imply here ajax? That disapproving of or speaking out against bigotry and hatred is in itself bigotry? I have associated with conservatives and Mormons all my life, especially family members who are still devout Mormons. I still love them with all my heart, and they still love me, but because we still love and tolerate each other doesn't mean I have to approve or pretend to approve of their tendencies towards intolerance and prejudice against others.

I must say, though, that none of the Mormons and conservatives I know well are anywhere near as bigoted towards and dismissive of the value and importance of diversity, equity and inclusion as you seem to be! I can think of nothing more boring than a society in which their is no diversity and no honest differences of opinion.

As for diversity, that is not by itself a social panacea, but acceptance and appreciation of diversity is a good thing and conducive to living peacefully and harmoniously with each other. Without such acceptance it can be very difficult to have a civil and law-abiding society. Do you really have a problem with that viewpoint?

By the way, do you still live in WV? There seems to be at least one regular contributor to this forum who seems convinced that you once said you moved to Texas. Is this true?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 am
ajax18 wrote:
What are you saying or trying to imply here ajax? That disapproving of or speaking out against bigotry and hatred is in itself bigotry?
This is how stupid racists are, Gunnar. They confuse criticism of a group of ideas with criticism of an entire group of strangers based on nothing but their ancestry. I'm not sure how much dumber someone could be.

Diversity can help people get over their racism if those people are sensible but just a little inexperienced with people of various backgrounds. It can't, however, cure stupid.

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:33 am
How many white folks have been murdered by chokehold on camera in the past couple of years?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ity-subway

Jordan Neely, a black homeless man got on the subway and started giving a speech about his plight as a poor, hungry, thirsty homeless man when someone from the superior race came from behind and put him in a chokehold, effectively killing the man.

The pure blood Marine is viewed as a hero obviously, and his identity has not been revealed, nor has he been charged for doing Trump's America a public service.

So much for "free speech", eh?

dsfdsfsf.jpg
If you're not willing to be assaulted on the subway without fighting back or calling the police than you're a white supremacist, including the black people who held Neely's arms. 37 people have been killed on the subway in New York this year and it never was deemed newsworthy until they found a white man fighting back against a black career criminal with a mile long rap sheet including being arrested over 47 times.

Another reason I'm grateful I don't live in Democrat run blue New York nor being subject to the results of diversity, equity, and inclusion which basically means either don't ride the subway or allow yourself to be intimidated, robbed, and assaulted by people who should have been involuntarilly committed, in jail, or both.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.