Still More Anti-abortion Insanity

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Still More Anti-abortion Insanity

Post by Gunnar »

An Oklahoma woman with a cancerous pregnancy said she was told to wait in the parking lot until she was sick enough to get an abortion!
Jaci Statton had a partial molar pregnancy, a rare complication in which the placenta has irregular tissue, NPR reported. Molar pregnancies can cause a rare form of cancer and typically result in early miscarriages, according to the Mayo Clinic. They occur in about 1% of pregnancies, according to the Cleveland Clinic.

Statton and her husband have three young children, own a fishing guide company, and go fishing every day. The couple was looking forward to welcoming a new child into their family, NPR reported.

Statton told NPR that the hospital staff was "very sincere" and wasn't trying to be mean when they turned her away.

"They said, 'The best we can tell you to do is sit in the parking lot, and if anything else happens, we will be ready to help you," Statton told NPR. "But we cannot touch you unless you are crashing in front of us or your blood pressure goes so high that you are fixing to have a heart attack.'"

Oklahoma has three laws that ban abortion, with conflicting definitions for when exceptions are allowed, according to NPR. In March, the state supreme court ruled that abortions must be allowed if a patient's life is in danger.

Statton said doctors at the University of Oklahoma Medical Center told her that, although she was experiencing severe symptoms from her molar pregnancy, they could not help her and she only had around two weeks to live, Fox 25 reported.
How many more cases like this have to happen, and how many women have to die or suffer permanent impairment before the idiots who enact such stupid laws either recover from their idiocy or are emphatically and humiliatingly voted out of office permanently?
"They said... 'You will die.' I had cancer cysts, cancer pockets around my baby, inside my uterus, and anytime one of those ruptured, I would bleed," Statton told the local station.

Statton told NPR that she was transferred to three different Oklahoma hospitals, all of which told her they couldn't give her an abortion, before doctors suggested that she leave and go to a state where abortion was legal.

She and her husband then drove to a Kansas abortion clinic where she had an abortion performed, according to the outlet.

Statton described the ordeal as "heartbreaking" and said she felt alone through the process and wished she could have gone to her own doctors and hospitals that she is familiar with for medical care, Fox 25 reported.
If she were Texan, it could have been even worse. Both her husband, who drove her to Kansas, and the doctor who suggested it, could have been sued for up to $10,000 by any random, unrelated citizen, for helping her get that lifesaving abortion!

I stoutly maintain that all things rationally considered, the pro-choice position is actually more pro-life than is the anti-abortion position. That's why if anyone asks me whether I am pro-life or pro-choice, I will always answer "both!" If you are not both pro-choice and pro-life, you are really not pro-either one of the two.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Still More Anti-abortion Insanity

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:52 am
I stoutly maintain that all things rationally considered, the pro-choice position is actually more pro-life than is the anti-abortion position. That's why if anyone asks me whether I am pro-life or pro-choice, I will always answer "both!" If you are not both pro-choice and pro-life, you are really not pro-either one of the two.
I read about this case yesterday.

There's no doubt about what you said here. You can't be pro-life while trying to control other people's important life decisions without any information on each individual situation. All you are is pro-birth, and there's nothing noble or moral about simply ensuring every pregnant woman squeezes out a baby without any regard whatsoever for what happens after that.

As I've said many times before, if someone is pro-birth, they haven't really thought this issue through, or they're an incurable control freak. Their opinion is based on emotion, not reality, so it actually makes sense for people to disregard their opinion on the topic.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Blue states passing laws to protect against red state overreach
Rachel Maddow looks at new laws being passed by Democratic-led states, particularly states that are adjacent to Republican-run states, to protect abortion rights, contraception, and gender affirmation.
Encouraging news! Minnesota and Washington State are among the states that have passed laws protecting and guaranteeing asylum to women and transgender victims of draconian laws of red states trying to criminalize them for seeking abortion care and gender affirming medical treatment.
John Langlois of Canada wrote:Meanwhile in Canada... Our Supreme court ruled on the issue several decades ago. The issue was debated by the federal government, and in the end, politicians decided to just let things be. Abortion is legal at all stages of pregnancy, no matter what the reason, and its been working just fine. Chances are its going to stay that way since the vast majority of politicians don't want to be the ones to setoff a firestorm.

The kicker? Our abortion rate is lower than the rate in the US. The fact is that when you support families adequately, they are better able decide what is right for them. Republicans railing against social programs are literally part of the reason why the abortion rate is so high in the US.
TK Englander wrote:There were only 9 Obstetricians in the entire state of Idaho before their abortion ban; now at least one of those physicians has moved out of state so she can practice medicine without threat of prosecution (Idaho charges thousands of dollars and/or several years of prison time for doctors who provide abortion unless the mother is actively dying). She simply wants to do her job using best medical practices and without interference from politicians who know little to nothing about practicing medicine. How many other obstetricians will leave Idaho under these horrible laws? Who will take proper ongoing care of pregnant women in Idaho? Who will be able to manage high risk pregnancies in Idaho if the laws make it too scary for doctors to practice there?? I predict that financially stable women will be able to leave the state to obtain prenatal care and delivery services, but what about everyone else?? I anticipate more maternal deaths in Idaho coming soon. I guess Republican politicians and lawmakers didn't think about these predictable outcomes of their inhumane laws, surprise, surprise. 🙄
Meanwhile, in Oregon: Oregon GOP boycott hits 4th day, delays Democrat-led bills
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A walkout by most Republican members of the Oregon Senate reached a fourth straight day Saturday, delaying action by the majority Democrats on bills on gun safety, abortion rights and gender-affirming health care.

The GOP's boycott prevented a quorum, and Senate President Rob Wagner adjourned the body until Sunday morning.

Republican lawmakers have used walkouts in the past, but if they continue to stay away they’ll be risking their jobs. Last November, voters overwhelmingly approved a ballot measure that bans lawmakers with 10 unexcused absences from running for reelection.

The boycott comes as several statehouses around the nation, including in Montana and Tennessee, have become battlegrounds between conservatives and liberals. Oregon has increasingly been divided between liberal population centers like Portland and Eugene and its mostly conservative rural areas.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Conservatives create the conditions that increase the number of abortions, and then they outlaw the abortions. Cruelty. Simple cruelty. We live in a nation that has been hijacked by a cruel minority. We are all implicated in that cruelty to the extent that we do nothing to ameliorate it and transform it.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Ohio's proposed abortion law stipulates that doctors have to try to re-implant an ectopic pregnancy where applicable, or face murder charges. Here's exactly why that's the stupidest s**t ever written.

No doctor on earth that I ever heard of believes there is any reasonable possibility of re-implanting an ectopic pregnancy and converting it into a viable pregnancy. The incredible stupidity and ignorance of the politicians who support this law is astoundingly breathtaking! It is every bit as stupid as passing a law that schools must teach that the earth is flat or that Pi equals exactly 3. If this bill is passed and signed into law, any doctor in Ohio could be charged with murder for failing to attempt something that current medical science agrees is impossible!
Courgette in England wrote:I’ve had two ectopic pregnancies in England. I was very close to death during the first one. It was very very stressful. This was 30 years ago. Had I believed for one moment that the child could have been saved but wasn’t I would have been distraught. Fortunately I was a nurse and I understood that if the foetus wasn’t removed that there was a good chance that I would die ( I certainly felt as closer to death than I ever have ) . Because I knew that this was a life or death situation, I never felt guilty about consenting to having the tube and foetus removed. Until the last year when I heard what was happening in America, i had never thought that I had had an abortion. Thirty years on and I have become upset about these lost children. My scientific self tells me that I would be dead ( and would not have the three beautiful adult children that I do ) but even so these uneducated law makers need to think about the damage that they are doing. Ectopic pregnancy is usually a much wanted pregnancy. For me ( after being told I would never conceive naturally) finding myself pregnant was the best day of my life. Collapsing in agony. Unable to call for help and believing that I was about to die was the most traumatic event of my life. Some stupid politician, telling me that I killed my child would have sent me over the edge . I am so pleased that I am British and educated.
A. Vulcan wrote:There should be a law against passing laws for which you can give no objective reason and laws that have not been vetted by professionals who have expertise in the relevant fields.
I couldn't agree more with A. Vulcan!

ETA: This video was aired 3 years ago, so I presume this law was passed and is probably the law that prevented a 10 year old girl from getting an abortion in Ohio, so that she had to go to Indiana to get her lifesaving abortion.