Approval Process

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Approval Process

Post by Jersey Girl »

MasterMahan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:09 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:26 am

New members can join just like they always did. They simply need a valid email address to do so now. All they have to do is click on the link that gets emailed to them, then they're in.

Why would you think we don't accept new members?
On March 17th of this year I asked the moderators if they would be willing to make the board private, it was my second post to the board. When I logged in a few days ago I noticed the register link at the top right corner is gone. I assumed that meant the board is not accepting new members.

Yes, but why did you think the socks were AtlanticMike and what did you mean when you asked about making the board private? How would a private board be administered?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

MasterMahan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:28 pm
As far as I can tell the board is set to private, there's no register link that I see. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am because no one has registered as a new member in almost two weeks.
I don't believe you're mistaken either.

I stay logged in via Edge, so I just hopped on over to the board on Chrome. I can't see any registration link, only a log in one.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MasterMahan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:28 pm
Yes, but why did you think the socks were AtlanticMike and what did you mean when you asked about making the board private? How would a private board be administered?
Of course the socks are Mike, or the Binger. As far as I can tell the board is set to private, there's no register link that I see. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am because no one has registered as a new member in almost two weeks.
You say 'of course' as if you have access to the admin or mod control panels where the team can easily see who is using the socks unless the poster is using a VPN. That said, Shades already explained what the change is and that the board isn't set to private. Setting the board to private would fly in the face of everything this board is about.

Have you been watching the activity here in Paradise for the past month or so?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MasterMahan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:48 pm
. That said, Shades already explained what the change is and that the board isn't set to private.
I believe it is. Why no new members for almost two weeks? There's no register option that I can see.
Setting the board to private would fly in the face of everything this board is about
Why?
Have you been watching the activity here in Paradise for the past month or so?
No.
We had a situation here in Paradise near the end of April-ish. So...if you are correct and the board is somehow closed to new registrations, I tend to think it might have been a response to the situation. If that is the case, I think the closed to new registrations response would be temporary.

I still don't know what you mean when you say the board is set to private or how that would work? If it was set to private would that eliminate new registrations?

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:47 pm
Yes. It is as I described. Formerly, you could just type in a fake email address and get right in. Now, one has to have a valid email address that isn’t the same as one currently in use.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MasterMahan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:59 pm
I still don't know what you mean when you say the board is set to private or how that would work? If it was set to private would that eliminate new registrations?
By private I mean closed to new members. Is Dr. Shades the founder and the one in control of board functions? He's saying the board is open but I don't see how it is. I was excited, I assumed he took my advice.
I dunno exactly what happened because I'm not a mod or admin. Shades has ultimately control of the board with special god-like powers that mods don't have. Mods being demi-gods and all. I tend to think that if the board is closed to new members that this would be a temporary thing. I can't think of a single reason that Shades would shut off new registrations for time and also eternity.

I'm happy to wait and see what Shades might have to say in response.

Slava Ukraini!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Try logging in under a fake name, then see if it sends you a hyperlink with the words “Register an account” or something.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:07 pm
Try logging in under a fake name, then see if it sends you a hyperlink with the words “Register an account” or something.
You should post that bit of genius advice on the front page in case a new person wants to register
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
I logged out and cannot find a register option.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Nope. :(