I Love This Man

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: I Love This Man

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:39 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:42 pm

Somebody should probably investigate that. Like, maybe, the House GOP. Maybe they could even publish a report of their findings.
This is the transcript of Ben Shapiro's podcast. Ask Res Ipsa how many people make partner at a major law firm like MBNA after just two years.
Senator Biden was the champion at the time of a bankruptcy reform that financial institutions like MB&A loved. MB&A was Senator Biden's largest source of campaign funds in that reelection. According to Byron York, according to FEC records, MB&A became, by far, Joe Biden's biggest single source of contributions. Company officials gave him $62,000 in the 1996 cycle.

Senator Biden and MBNA formed very tight ties. It's clear then, right after the election, Hunter was roped in. Hunter graduated law school in May 1996.

Within just a few months, he landed a job at MBNA. Less than two years after graduating law school at age 28, Hunter was a senior vice president at MBNA, which was his father's largest donor. Then Hunter passed through the revolving door to work at Bill Clinton's Commerce Department. After Clinton left office, Hunter cashed out and he went back to MBNA.

In the years, Hunter was a consultant for MB&A. MB&A was Senator Biden's largest source of campaign funds, easily. Employees and executives at MB&A give Biden more than 94 grand. So, yes, the corruption is endemic here.

By the way, no one becomes a partner at a law firm after two years. I went to Harvard Law School and then I worked at Goodwin Proctor, which is a major national law firm. You know how long it takes to become a senior associate at a major law firm? It will take you four, five, six years to become a senior associate.

To become a partner, you're talking like 15 years, two years to become a partner at MBNA, a major corporation. Yeah, there's something fishy going on here and there always has been, of course.
This is a pretty garbled account of Hunter Biden's association with MBNA, which is a major issuer of credit cards in the U.S. and Canada. I'm basing my comments on the timeline that this article shows. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... s-campaign

Hunter graduated from Yale Law School in 1996. I graduated from Harvard Law School 14 years before that, and brand new associates were walking into six figure starting salaries at New York/Washington law firms at that time. So, I don't find Hunter's six-figure starting salary 14 years later surprising at all. He was hired into MBNA's in-house legal department, which was not a private law firm but a department of a major corporation.

It's also not surprising that MBNA had changed from a Maryland corporation to a Delaware corporation at some point. For decades, Delaware was the most friendly jurisdiction for corporations in the U.S. And it's simply not surprising at all that a major Delaware corporation like MBNA would donate to election campaigns. (Do any of these articles disclose how much MBNA disclosed to candidates not named Joe Biden?)

In a private law firm, the typical track to partnership from brand new associate to partner was seven or eight years. But Hunter wasn't in a private law firm. He was hired into the in-house legal department of a major corporation. There is no comparable "partnership track."

Hunter didn't become a partner at MBNA -- he became an "executive vice president." What that actually means depends on his actual job responsibilities were and how many executive vice presidents MBNA had at the time. The title alone doesn't tell you anything.

What I can tell you, Ajax, is that family connections get lots of people lots of things, deserved or not. They get you into the top law schools even if your grades and LSAT scores are crap. They get you into jobs that people with comparable job experience and grades normally would ever get. And school connections work the same way. I went to law school with the daughter of a serving U.S. Ambassador -- I guarantee you there were doors open for her that were not open for me. That's just how it works. Hunter Biden is singled out because there are people who want to single him out. Oddly enough, it's the same people who really don't want to talk about Jarvanka.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Hunter didn't become a partner at MBNA -- he became an "executive vice president." What that actually means depends on his actual job responsibilities were and how many executive vice presidents MBNA had at the time. The title alone doesn't tell you anything.
In banking, anybody not a teller is a VP. That holds true for the finance world in general, even on the technical side of the house.

I'm not going to say there is nothing to Ajax's sudden realization that something like "white privilege" is real, but true to form, instead of doing any real investigation, Shapiro makes an evaluation based on the wiki article he just read and compares to what he knows from his own unrelated work experience.

Ajax scrapes his right-wing rags and copy-pastes in a panic, and then Res Ipsa has to research for hours and hours while Ajax puts no effort into it and just exudes random hysteria. When it turns out the claims are either bogus, unsubstantiated, or not as big of a deal as they first appeared, Ajax just posts the next outrage.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:36 am
In banking, anybody not a teller is a VP. That holds true for the finance world in general, even on the technical side of the house.

I'm not going to say there is nothing to Ajax's sudden realization that something like "white privilege" is real, but true to form, instead of doing any real investigation, Shapiro makes an evaluation based on the wiki article he just read and compares to what he knows from his own unrelated work experience.

Ajax scrapes his right-wing rags and copy-pastes in a panic, and then Res Ipsa has to research for hours and hours while Ajax puts no effort into it and just exudes random hysteria. When it turns out the claims are either bogus, unsubstantiated, or not as big of a deal as they first appeared, Ajax just posts the next outrage.
And that’s the state of the board, in case anyone is wondering why posters are dropping off.

edit: I had to look up ‘Jarvanka’.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

The right wing obsession with Hunter Biden is simple compensation for the fact that the GOP has nothing to offer the American people. They have to obsess about Hunter to distract people from the fact the they're useless pieces of crap.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

So ajax - you accept that the source you quoted was misleading when it referred to Hunter Biden becoming a partner in a law firm, when in fact he was just a salaried in-house lawyer in a banking firm?

Can you agree on that, please?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:08 am
So ajax - you accept that the source you quoted was misleading when it referred to Hunter Biden becoming a partner in a law firm, when in fact he was just a salaried in-house lawyer in a banking firm?

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:

I still think Hunter advanced further and more quickly because of his father's political platform on bankruptcy than he would have if his father were against bankruptcy reform. Hunter's privilege isn't really white privilege. It's partisan political privilege. Whether Hunter was appointed to partner or senior higher up of the bank doesn't make what Ben said misleading in the least. As Res Ipsa said, this is how it works in Washington. And this is what many Americans on both the far left and far right are fed up with.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:06 pm
Chap wrote:

I still think Hunter advanced further and more quickly because of his father's political platform on bankruptcy than he would have if his father were against bankruptcy reform. Hunter's privilege isn't really white privilege. It's partisan political privilege. Whether Hunter was appointed to partner or senior higher up of the bank doesn't make what Ben said misleading in the least. As Res Ipsa said, this is how it works in Washington. And this is what many Americans on both the far left and far right are fed up with.
You said:
Ask Res Ipsa how many people make partner at a major law firm like MBNA after just two years.
And your source said:
By the way, no one becomes a partner at a law firm after two years. I went to Harvard Law School and then I worked at Goodwin Proctor, which is a major national law firm. You know how long it takes to become a senior associate at a major law firm? It will take you four, five, six years to become a senior associate.

To become a partner, you're talking like 15 years, two years to become a partner at MBNA, a major corporation. Yeah, there's something fishy going on here and there always has been, of course.
Hunter Biden did not become a partner at "a major law firm" (or any law firm) in two years. America being what it is, nobody should be surprised that being the child of a major politician, Republican or Democrat, is often associated with unusually rapid career advancement. One just has to look at Trump's kids to see that. But no child of Biden, or of Trump, has, as you put it "[made] partner at a major law firm ... after just two years".

Had that happened to any politician's child it would indeed have been, in your source's words 'fishy', indeed extraordinarily so. But it never happened, let alone to Hunter Biden. So you do not seem to have had much of a point there after all, do you?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:39 am
This is the transcript of Ben Shapiro's podcast. Ask Res Ipsa how many people make partner at a major law firm like MBNA after just two years.
I wonder if it's harder, or easier, than becoming a senior white house advisor with a bachelor's degree and absolutely no political experience.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I love all the indictments coming down. I bet Trump's going though a lot of adult diapers these days.

Thinking of him fearing jail brings me complete delight. I've never felt such schadenfreude.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.