I Love This Man

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: I Love This Man

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:06 pm
Chap wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:08 am
So ajax - you accept that the source you quoted was misleading when it referred to Hunter Biden becoming a partner in a law firm, when in fact he was just a salaried in-house lawyer in a banking firm?

Can you agree on that, please?
I still think Hunter advanced further and more quickly because of his father's political platform on bankruptcy than he would have if his father were against bankruptcy reform. Hunter's privilege isn't really white privilege. It's partisan political privilege. Whether Hunter was appointed to partner or senior higher up of the bank doesn't make what Ben said misleading in the least. As Res Ipsa said, this is how it works in Washington. And this is what many Americans on both the far left and far right are fed up with.
Except that Ben seems party blind when it comes to this situation. Some of the most valuable information I learned at Harvard had nothing to do with law. The elites that you rail against aren't just on the left. They are all about money and connections. They live in the same towns and suburbs across the U.S. They go to the same ("private") schools. They join the same fraternities and and "secret" societies (Skull and Bones at Yale; Choate at Harvard -- at least in my day). They go to the same parties. It's a society within a society from which the insiders that dominate both the economy and the political landscape tend to come. So, if you think these elites are bad for the U.S., you should stop doing things that enable them. Like cutting their taxes. Like railing against DEI initiatives that bring outsiders into the system. What you really want is diversity in the economic and political elites -- so start supporting efforts to increase diversity.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:21 am
edit: I had to look up ‘Jarvanka’.

- Doc
Did it have a picture of a rather swanky Saudi resort bearing the Trump name, or just an old photo of Lev, Igor, and Rudy sitting in a speakeasy booth at Lucky Luciano's Chop House holding a doctored laptop?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:05 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:21 am
edit: I had to look up ‘Jarvanka’.

- Doc
Did it have a picture of a rather swanky Saudi resort bearing the Trump name, or just an old photo of Lev, Igor, and Rudy sitting in a speakeasy booth at Lucky Luciano's Chop House holding a doctored laptop?
No, but Justice Thomas drove them around in his swanky $250k RV:

https://dnyuz.com/2023/08/05/clarence-t ... nanced-it/

Notice Republicans can’t seem to find their voice when it comes to their own.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

I think just about everyone on here has said this in one way or another so, why not say it again - What is up with this Trump base? Why do so many think he is the only man for the job when there is an endless supply of competent people with the same right side agenda who aren't blathering idiots. What exactly did Trump the Pres. actually accomplish that someone else couldn't have? The three justices seated- Wasn't that Mitch M's doing?

I mean, I was aware Trump was an egotistical, blowhard, scam-man back in the eighties just by being simply mildly cognizant of page two news stories. Is this Trump wagon due to his Celebrity Apprentice make believe "reality" show? I'll be buggered if I know.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

dantana wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:54 am
I think just about everyone on here has said this in one way or another so, why not say it again - What is up with this Trump base? Why do so many think he is the only man for the job when there is an endless supply of competent people with the same right side agenda who aren't blathering idiots. What exactly did Trump the Pres. actually accomplish that someone else couldn't have? The three justices seated- Wasn't that Mitch M's doing?

I mean, I was aware Trump was an egotistical, blowhard, scam-man back in the eighties just by being simply mildly cognizant of page two news stories. Is this Trump wagon due to his Celebrity Apprentice make believe "reality" show? I'll be buggered if I know.

You have to be a good entertainer to have mass appeal. Trump tapped into the need to be the giant pulsating middle finger to the authoritarian left at the right time. He wasn't always this popular before 2015. He failed in 2008 and 2012. Being a victim of a partisan political justice department has made him more popular still with his base.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Being a victim of a partisan political justice department has made him more popular still with his base.
Drug dealers also see themselves as victims of an unfair system. How hard would it be NOT to conspire to steal an election and then hoard truckloads of classified docs on your way out as a failed, 1-term president?

He almost had to do it, Ajax, because as you point out, if he hadn't committed a string of crimes like an insecure teen on Tik Tok going extreme for views, nobody would be talking about him anymore. At least you understand it's his unhinged antics, not good ideas or sound leadership, that make him popular with people like yourself.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I liked authpritarian as a description. Seemed appropriately Trumpian.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:15 pm
dantana wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:54 am

You have to be a good entertainer to have mass appeal. Trump tapped into the need to be the giant pulsating middle finger to the authoritarian left at the right time. He wasn't always this popular before 2015. He failed in 2008 and 2012. Being a victim of a partisan political justice department has made him more popular still with his base.
Yeah, that could maybe be the main draw. Maybe also a little appeal to his fellow xenophobes, racists, blah blah. Maybe a little bit that people didn't like Hillary even more than him. I just really don't know. I mean, He certainly doesn't present himself as a man of the people - with his gold plated toilets, etc.

But yeah, the old - drain the swamp - gimmick was brilliant. Make the people think he is anti establishment while slipping in his own establishment. crime family.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:15 pm
Trump tapped into the need to be the giant pulsating middle finger to the authoritarian left at the right time.
The epitome of eating a crap sandwich to make a Liberal smell your breath

eta

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

This is the man and family Ajax admires.