Earthquake Detected in Northern CA, Near Me.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Earthquake Detected in Northern CA, Near Me.

Post by Gunnar »

It was magnitude 5.4 with an epicenter near Lake Almanor, about 82 miles from me. We could just barely feel it here. It caused the pull chains on our ceiling fan light fixture to visibly swing back and forth. If I hadn't been awake, I would probably not have noticed it at all. Mild excitement aroused in my family. There will probably be aftershocks following soon and for the next few days.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Earthquake Detected in Northern CA, Near Me.

Post by Dr Exiled »

When my family lived in the bay area, my mom would never keep dishes where a tremor could cause them to fall. I also remember being knocked to the ground during a bigger than normal tremor. Good times. Hope there are a lot of 5.4 quakes so the big one doesn't come.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:50 pm
It was magnitude 5.4 with an epicenter near Lake Almanor, about 82 miles from me. We could just barely feel it here. It caused the pull chains on our ceiling fan light fixture to visibly swing back and forth. If I hadn't been awake, I would probably not have noticed it at all. Mild excitement aroused in my family. There will probably be aftershocks following soon and for the next few days.
Come sit by me, Gunnar, and bring the family. I will keep you safe!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
It caused the pull chains on our ceiling fan light fixture to visibly swing back and forth. If I hadn't been awake, I would probably not have noticed it at all. Mild excitement aroused in my family. There will probably be aftershocks following soon and for the next few days.
Quit bragging about your sex life.

Glad you're ok.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 3:52 am
Gunnar wrote:
It caused the pull chains on our ceiling fan light fixture to visibly swing back and forth. If I hadn't been awake, I would probably not have noticed it at all. Mild excitement aroused in my family. There will probably be aftershocks following soon and for the next few days.
Quit bragging about your sex life.
:lol: Believe me, it's not worth bragging about! :(

Glad you're ok.
Thanks for your concern, but the town I live in is just far enough away from major fault zones to the East and West of us so that any quakes are so attenuated in magnitude by the time they reach us, that they have never, during my lifetime, caused any appreciable alarm or damage here. There are probably (as far as I know) few areas of California that are more seismically stable than where I currently live (knock on wood!). The worst disasters we are likely to encounter here are floods, like the 1955 flood my family survived when I was 12.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:08 am
Gunnar wrote:
Come sit by me, Gunnar, and bring the family. I will keep you safe!
I'm deeply touched by that offer! But, don't worry. As I explained to Schmo, where I live is probably one of the safer places to live in California, earthquake wise.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 12:57 am
Gunnar wrote:
When my family lived in the bay area, my mom would never keep dishes where a tremor could cause them to fall. I also remember being knocked to the ground during a bigger than normal tremor. Good times. Hope there are a lot of 5.4 quakes so the big one doesn't come.
The worst earthquake I experienced was the 6.6 magnitude San Fernando quake of Feb 9, 1971. I was stationed at Edwards AFB at the time and living in the Base Housing area. It caused significant damage at the base, including falling fluorescent light fixtures in the office where I worked at the time. I could easily have been hit and injured by one of those had it not been at 6 am, when the office was closed. To my wife's amazement, I actually slept through that one (I am a very sound sleeper, once I get to sleep).
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Another Quake, 5.5 magnitude, this morning at 3:18. Epicenter about 126 miles away. I didn't feel it, but it woke my wife up. There have also been a number of other aftershocks.