Happy Mother's Day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Happy Mother's Day

Post by Moksha »

Happy Mother's Day

Imageg
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Re: Happy Mother's Day

Post by Moksha »

Maybe this is a tradition not recognized at Discuss Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Well, while I wish well to all mothers in the world, mine does not read DiscussMormonism, so I can't sensibly address her here!

(Besides, my date is different ...)

But in any case, congratulations and good wishes to all of you who read this!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:34 am
List of reasons you might not have gotten responses to your nice Mother's Day wishes!

1. Not all Mom posters here want people to know they are female. For reasons of harassment.*
2. Mom posters might have been out and about and busy or having a day to themselves on Mother's Day. Essentially not here.
3. Mom posters might be grieving on Mother's Day.
4. Mom posters might be having a disappointing Mother's Day and don't want any reminders.

Being a Mom can be such a wonderful thing until it's not.
Being a Mom might mean not everyone here has a good relationship with their child(ren).
Being a Mom means you might want to be social and celebrating with your children or just need some time to yourself.
Being a Mom might mean you are separated from your child(ren) by distance and Mother's Day is hard for you.
Being a Mom means you might be grieving the loss of a child.
Being a Mom means you might be overcome with grief for your own Mother on Mother's Day Eve like I was. I was a mess all day long!
Being a Mom might mean you are longing for a child who hasn't come into your life yet and this day might be hard to get through.

I don't think I left anyone out! Essentially, Motherhood can be a total mixed bag. I can say that I myself have had all kinds of Mother's Day (some great and some not so great) and many from the above list!

Thank you for your well wishes, Mok. Much appreciated!

*We typically know who the other ladies are and wouldn't "out" them for all the tea in China or my pantry. ;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
Or we have already been inundated with similar messages in every other venue.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:12 am
Moksha wrote:
List of reasons you might not have gotten responses to your nice Mother's Day wishes!

1. Not all Mom posters here want people to know they are female. For reasons of harassment.*
2. Mom posters might have been out and about and busy or having a day to themselves on Mother's Day. Essentially not here.
3. Mom posters might be grieving on Mother's Day.
4. Mom posters might be having a disappointing Mother's Day and don't want any reminders.

Being a Mom can be such a wonderful thing until it's not.
Being a Mom might mean not everyone here has a good relationship with their child(ren).
Being a Mom means you might want to be social and celebrating with your children or just need some time to yourself.
Being a Mom might mean you are separated from your child(ren) by distance and Mother's Day is hard for you.
Being a Mom means you might be grieving the loss of a child.
Being a Mom means you might be overcome with grief for your own Mother on Mother's Day Eve like I was. I was a mess all day long!
Being a Mom might mean you are longing for a child who hasn't come into your life yet and this day might be hard to get through.

I don't think I left anyone out! Essentially, Motherhood can be a total mixed bag. I can say that I myself have had all kinds of Mother's Day (some great and some not so great) and many from the above list!

Thank you for your well wishes, Mok. Much appreciated!

*We typically know who the other ladies are and wouldn't "out" them for all the tea in China or my pantry. ;)
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:30 am
Moksha wrote:
Or we have already been inundated with similar messages in every other venue.
Good point, they always mention this in church, and those calendar people take note of this day.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Moksha wrote:
I'm not a mother, so I assumed you weren't talking to me.

Plus, I'm at the point where I feel like most celebrated holidays are commercialized profit opportunities for a handful of businesses. I don't care about most of them. I still enjoy Christmas and Thanksgiving, but we've essentially stopped buying presents because Christmas morning surprises quickly become chores to take out the useless trash you never should have purchased in the first place. I like those holidays because of the family time.

I actually dislike father's day, because I don't want to hear about it. My father was not my favorite person, and I don't often think about the fact that I'm a father (you might say I don't identify as a father - I don't feel like one). I certainly don't want anyone doing anything for me that day they wouldn't do any other day of the year.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I'm dubious about the prospect that we celebrate all parents when a huge percentage of them really should never have been parents in the first place. I think society has to get off this idiotic idea that everyone should have kids.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.