But it's not the guns

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: But it's not the guns

Post by Doctor Steuss »

This video popped up in the "Unexpected" subreddit. It's from 2016, but this is the first time I saw it.

https://www.vox.com/2016/6/16/11954662/ ... y-guns-omg

Cliff Notes: 13-year-old tries to buy various items (beer, cigarettes, nudey mag, lotto ticket, etc.). He's only able to successfully purchase one of the items he tries to... a gun.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 9:47 pm
This video popped up in the "Unexpected" subreddit. It's from 2016, but this is the first time I saw it.

https://www.vox.com/2016/6/16/11954662/ ... y-guns-omg

Cliff Notes: 13-year-old tries to buy various items (beer, cigarettes, nudey mag, lotto ticket, etc.). He's only able to successfully purchase one of the items he tries to... a gun.
To be fair, once he has the gun, he’ll have a much easier time procuring the other items. : )
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I know that usually the focus is (rightfully) on the racial aspects of police shootings, but as I read the recent story of an 11-year-old shot by police in his own home, it makes me wonder, would this type of thing be less likely if officers didn't have to be paranoid that everyone has a gun? Would it simultaneously be less likely to be brushed away, and there be serious accountability, if that paranoia wasn't a crutch that could be leaned upon?
Murry told CNN that the “irate” father of another of her children arrived at her home at 4 a.m. Saturday.

Concerned about her safety, Murry asked Aderrien to call the police.

Murry said the officer who arrived at the home “had his gun drawn at the front door and asked those inside the home to come outside.” Murry said her son was shot coming around the corner of a hallway, into the living room.

“Once he came from around the corner, he got shot,” Murry said. “I cannot grasp why. The same cop that told him to come out of the house. (Aderrien) did, and he got shot. He kept asking, ‘Why did he shoot me? What did I do wrong?’” she said.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/us/missi ... index.html

ETA: Fixed age. He's 4'10", and the "10" stuck in my head.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:36 pm
I know that usually the focus is (rightfully) on the racial aspects of police shootings, but as I read the recent story of an 11-year-old shot by police in his own home, it makes me wonder, would this type of thing be less likely if officers didn't have to be paranoid that everyone has a gun? Would it simultaneously be less likely to be brushed away, and there be serious accountability, if that paranoia wasn't a crutch that could be leaned upon?
The problem is that a lot of people suck at their job. It's especially bad if they suck at a job that requires them to carry a gun.

ETA: It seems to me that a lot of self-described "conservatives" in this country live in constant fear, anger and paranoia. These are the last people who should have access to guns, and the ones who want them most. It's screwed up.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.