But it's not the guns

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

But it's not the guns

Post by Res Ipsa »

he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: But it's not the guns

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Here in my neck of the woods, a few weeks ago, a school campus monitor at a middle school was shot.

The bullet that hit him was fired blocks away from the school, in an (un)related shooting.

The amount of shootings that need to take place, for something like that to even be plausible (given the size of a bullet, the size of the amount of space not occupied by people, etc.) is bonkers.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I have to admit that I really don't like going to crowded venues anymore because in the back of my mind, I'm thinking I'm walking into a place with the best chance of a high body count.

I hate what the media and politicians have done to this country.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Texas woman killed by stray bullet while sleeping at home
I thought she was killed picking up her daughter's prom dress.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Might the shooter offer a defense of impaired judgment from being part of the Texas gun culture?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Republicans are turning this country into a nightmare. They want to try out Hobbes’ vision of life without society.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:04 pm
An armed society is a dead society.
How do we disarm society?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:59 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Ask Australia. They did it.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
We had better find a way to do it! The situation is only bound to get worse unless we can convince the vast majority of the voters to vote out of office all the hard right MAGA idiots who insist that the 2nd Amendment means that anybody is guaranteed the right to own any types and quantities of guns or weapons they can afford to buy without limits or even the most common-sense safety regulations. Insisting that even more guns are the answer is as stupid as trying to smother a fire by dousing it with gasoline, and then concluding that when the fire only got worse, it was because we just didn't use enough gasoline!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:40 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:

Ask Australia. They did it.
Very good point! Unfortunately, however, a distressingly large proportion of far-right, fanatical conservatives refuse to accept even the mere suggestion that there is any virtue in disarming society!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.