Racist Karen steals black youths bike

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Racist Karen steals black youths bike

Post by ajax18 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:51 am
ajax18 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:44 am
Just so we're in agreement on what junk tabloid-social media pseudo-journalism is. Famed civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump had this to say about the incident.

“A white woman was caught on camera attempting to STEAL a Citi Bike from a young Black man in NYC. She grossly tried to weaponize her tears to paint this man as a threat,” Crump wrote in the tweet, shared Sunday night. “This is EXACTLY the type of behavior that has endangered so many Black men in the past!”

It is unclear whether the teens will take legal action or if Crump will represent them.

Bellevue Hospital issued a statement on Monday saying they are aware of the incident, which appears to involve one of their employees. “We are sorry this happened, and we are reviewing the incident,” the statement reads. “NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue is committed to providing the highest quality of care to all New Yorkers with dignity, cultural sensitivity, and compassion.”

https://www.essence.com/news/nyc-hospit ... lack-teen/
I can say this: the whole thing amounts to a nothing burger that should have had no consequences beyond settling the rental issue. That this got ANY press is a sign of how ludicrous our culture is. Misunderstandings happen ALL THE TIME. They are not national or even local news.
What did you think of the hospital being pressured to put the woman on suspension. Before he took it down, the civil rights journalist was demanding the woman be fired for endangering the young black men by calling for help. The fact that this woman lost her job over this doesn't seem like a nothing burger to me. Should the black men lose their jobs now that it turns out they didn't purchase the bicycle? Should they be criminally charged for attempted robbery as this woman would have undoubtedly been charged had she not been able to produce the receipt and proof of innocence? Why is it a white supremacist violent hate crime and white privilege when the fact was thought to be that the pregnant woman was mistaken, but downgraded to a nothing burger misunderstanding when it turns out the black men were at best mistaken and more than likely waited for the woman to pay and then decided to take the bike to avoid payment? If it were just a misunderstanding they should have put the bike back on the rack and chose another or at least check their receipt?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:03 pm
What did you think of the hospital being pressured to put the woman on suspension. Before he took it down, the civil rights journalist was demanding the woman be fired for endangering the young black men by calling for help. The fact that this woman lost her job over this doesn't seem like a nothing burger to me. Should the black men lose their jobs now that it turns out they didn't purchase the bicycle? Should they be criminally charged for attempted robbery as this woman would have undoubtedly been charged had she not been able to produce the receipt and proof of innocence? Why is it a white supremacist violent hate crime and white privilege when the fact was thought to be that the pregnant woman was mistaken, but downgraded to a nothing burger misunderstanding when it turns out the black men were at best mistaken and more than likely waited for the woman to pay and then decided to take the bike to avoid payment? If it were just a misunderstanding they should have put the bike back on the rack and chose another or at least check their receipt?
I think that ideally the only thing that should come out of this is that the families of the young men should reprimand them for being rude to the woman and the woman should be refunded one rental. The rest of this is absolute nonsense from beginning to end. No one involved should suffer severe consequences. This doesn't even rise to the level of a tempest in a teapot. It should have been ignored by anyone but the parties directly involved, perhaps their families, and the business that rents the bikes.

Anyone who tries to make anything more out of this is just exploiting the suffering of others for their own advantage. That goes for both progressives and MAGA types.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 2:22 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:03 pm
I think that ideally the only thing that should come out of this is that the families of the young men should reprimand them for being rude to the woman and the woman should be refunded one rental. The rest of this is absolute nonsense from beginning to end. No one involved should suffer severe consequences. This doesn't even rise to the level of a tempest in a teapot. It should have been ignored by anyone but the parties directly involved, perhaps their families, and the business that rents the bikes.

Anyone who tries to make anything more out of this is just exploiting the suffering of others for their own advantage. That goes for both progressives and MAGA types.

This, of course, is the right answer. On one side you have people trying to create a racist narrative out of a small time crime perpetrated by the thief, and on the other hand you have people like Ajax claiming vicarious victim status through the woman.

by the way, Ajax, you never answered my question (no surprise there since you never do), were the receipts posted online so the public could verify the facts for themselves?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

by the way, Ajax, you never answered my question (no surprise there since you never do), were the receipts posted online so the public could verify the facts for themselves?

- Doc
I didn't answer because I don't know if they were or not. Perhaps we'll find out when she sues the hospital and NBC.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Do you think she has a strong civil claim for defamation against NBC and a claim against the hospital for suspending her without pay? Would you voter for her to recover anything if you were on the jury or would you say she has no claim?

Do you think the African American teens should be charged with attempted robbery or would their claim that they thought they had paid for the bike absolve them of any criminal exposure? I remember Mr. Scratch explained to me that racism and reverse racism should never be on equal footing. Do you also espouse the idea of different set of rules for blacks and whites because of the USA's history and current level of systemic racism?

Let's say the pregnant woman didn't have a receipt or she was just having a case of pregnant brain and mistaken. In your opinion should she have fired? In your opinion should conservative media have been sued for covering the story in error, becuase white black racism and reverse racism shouldn't be on equal footing?

ETA: One more question, if the woman were not white but rather Russian or another European immigrant, would she be judged under the same standard as a descendant of confederates like myself because of our similar level of pigmentation or would she be under a different standard because of her heritage? What if the woman were of mixed race, what set of rules should then be applied to her in this case?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:03 pm

- Doc
I didn't answer because I don't know if they were or not. Perhaps we'll find out when she sues the hospital and NBC.
Read this and get back to us:

https://Twitter.com/thejournalista/stat ... 8347745280

Do you believe it's possible her lawyer is lying or misconstruing these receipts as proof that his client is a victim of black hoodlums picking on this white victim?

Read that Twitter thread and get back to us.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:12 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:03 pm

Read this and get back to us:

https://Twitter.com/thejournalista/stat ... 8347745280

Do you believe it's possible her lawyer is lying or misconstruing these receipts as proof that his client is a victim of black hoodlums picking on this white victim?

Read that Twitter thread and get back to us.

- Doc
Ok I read it. So it all hinges on whether her lawyer is lying about the receipts or not? Since we don't know, can you answer my hypothetical questions about how in yours and kishkumen's judgment this should play out given the alternate fact patterns I presented?

Have you seen anywhere if the black guy had a receipt for the bike? Is he claiming he already paid for the bike? Shouldn't he have it on his credit card record?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 pm
... it all hinges on whether her lawyer is lying about the receipts or not? Since we don't know, can you answer my hypothetical questions about how in yours and kishkumen's judgment this should play out given the alternate fact patterns I presented?
It would make a lot more sense to wait until the facts have been established before continuing with this discussion, surely?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Chap wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:20 pm
ajax18 wrote:
... it all hinges on whether her lawyer is lying about the receipts or not? Since we don't know, can you answer my hypothetical questions about how in yours and kishkumen's judgment this should play out given the alternate fact patterns I presented?
It would make a lot more sense to wait until the facts have been established before continuing with this discussion, surely?
Derp State Rule #8: Epistemic humility is to be shunned, much like charity and syphilis.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:20 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Why? This isn't a court of law. We're not kings handing down a judgment. I'm just looking for what kind of judgment people of different political ideologies would make given the fact patterns I presented. Hypotheticals are sufficient for our purposes here.