Pro Life?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Pro Life?

Post by Vēritās »

The more I interact with MAGA types online, whether it be Twitter or Facebook, it becomes clear to me that they generally favor killing humans in circumstances most moral people would not.

For instance, one guy posted a video of some protesters in the streets of the UK blocking traffic and one of the drivers got out of his car and started assaulting the people knocking them to the ground and breaking their phones. The MAGA folks commenting on this were entirely supportive of someone doing this, and one guy said, "try that in Florida and you'll get run over." Apparently, in response to the BLM protests Ron DeSantis rammed through a law that would make it legal for drivers to run over protesters. WTF? I didn't actually believe it until I looked it up, and lo and behold, it was true. Republicans in Florida legalized murdering people for expressing their first amendment rights. And apparently Republicans in Oklahoma passed a similar law. A "protest" only needs to be three or more people, and so long as the driver says he or she feels like his or her life was threatened, it is perfectly OK to run them down.

This, added with their support of the death penalty, and their trigger happy reaction to needless deaths such as that of Jordan Neely, make it seem not only wrong to call them the party of pro-life, but they should probably be called the party of pro-death.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Pro Life?

Post by Res Ipsa »

The Washington Post recently ran a heartbreaking story called The Short Life of Baby Milo. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/i ... h-dorbert/

The fetus had a fatal condition in which the kidneys fail to produce sufficient amniotic fluid to allow the lungs to develop. Survival after birth is typically less than two hours. But because there was a fetal heartbeat when the condition was discovered, doctors required the mother to carry the fetus until 37 weeks, when labor could be induced.

The baby was small, but looked perfect. That is, until the cord was cut and the tiny infant had to breathe on its own. For 99 minutes, he struggled to breathe before dying. He never cried. Never tried to nurse. Never even opened his eyes. Just struggled with every ounce of energy to breathe.

The family was devastated by the process. What struck me were the words of the grandfather:
Rogell lingered at the funeral home after others left, staring at the urn that contained his 16th grandchild’s ashes and trying to reconcile his own misgivings about elective abortion with the months of suffering he watched his daughter and her family endure.

Now, he was haunted by the sound of Milo gasping for air and the sight of his body struggling to ward off a death that had been inevitable for three long months.

“To me it’s just pure torture,” Rogell said. “The law has created torture.”
Pro life my ass.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:27 pm
Republicans in Florida legalized murdering people for expressing their first amendment rights.
For expressing their first amendment rights, or for surrounding your car, pulling you out of it, and trying to beat you to death?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:45 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Republicans in Florida legalized murdering people for expressing their first amendment rights.
For expressing their first amendment rights, or for surrounding your car, pulling you out of it, and trying to beat you to death?
Isn't that already against the law? Why would Florida need to pass a new law making assault or attempted murder a crime?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:45 pm
Vēritās wrote:
The video I'm talking about took place in the UK and the people were walking in the streets with cars behind them. They were moving at probably 2 MPH but they were moving. They didn't attack anyone, but were immediately attacked by a driver who threw several of them to the ground and started grabbing their belongings and breaking them.

What you're describing sounds like something that took place many years ago during the Rodney King protests.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Show me proof Penny is even a Republucan. It'll be interesting to see if the black guys helping Daniel Penny restrain the threatening 47 times arrested Jordan Neely while trapped in a subway car get charged with manslaughter as well.

In the meantime 30-40 black people are shot by other black people in NYC and Chicago every weekend and it's rarely considered newsworthy. If Daniel Penny were black, this would never have made the news, much less incite protests or aggressive and vindictive race based prosecution.

Penny's ancestors probably fought for the North in the civil war. I bet they regret that now.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:04 am
Show me proof Penny is even a Republucan. It'll be interesting to see if the black guys helping Daniel Penny restrain the threatening 47 times arrested Jordan Neely while trapped in a subway car get charged with manslaughter as well.

In the meantime 30-40 black people are shot by other black people in NYC and Chicago every weekend and it's rarely considered newsworthy. If Daniel Penny were black, this would never have made the news, much less incite protests or aggressive and vindictive race based prosecution.

Penny's ancestors probably fought for the North in the civil war. I bet they regret that now.

Two dozen of those arrests resulted in him being taken to a hospital for mental illness. Penny is probably a Republican but he doesn't need to be because the point is already made by the fact that Penny is garnering so much support from Republicans an presidential candidates who are using his killing as a campaign talking point. Today's conservatives love death. They love killing black people. They love the idea of killing annoying freedom of speech black people. They love the idea of mowing down liberal protesters, they love the idea of gunning down looters they presume to be liberal, they love to hear stories of people killing unarmed robbers fleeing a property because they're black and presumed to vote Democrat. They love death. Just look: at all of these articles reinforcing that point.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I really think the pro-choice lobby needs to start talking about how certain fetuses are home invaders that you should be allowed to kill in self-defense. They have to phrase it in language stupid people will understand.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:36 pm
The Washington Post recently ran a heartbreaking story called The Short Life of Baby Milo. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/i ... h-dorbert/

The fetus had a fatal condition in which the kidneys fail to produce sufficient amniotic fluid to allow the lungs to develop. Survival after birth is typically less than two hours. But because there was a fetal heartbeat when the condition was discovered, doctors required the mother to carry the fetus until 37 weeks, when labor could be induced.

The baby was small, but looked perfect. That is, until the cord was cut and the tiny infant had to breathe on its own. For 99 minutes, he struggled to breathe before dying. He never cried. Never tried to nurse. Never even opened his eyes. Just struggled with every ounce of energy to breathe.

The family was devastated by the process. What struck me were the words of the grandfather:
Rogell lingered at the funeral home after others left, staring at the urn that contained his 16th grandchild’s ashes and trying to reconcile his own misgivings about elective abortion with the months of suffering he watched his daughter and her family endure.

Now, he was haunted by the sound of Milo gasping for air and the sight of his body struggling to ward off a death that had been inevitable for three long months.

“To me it’s just pure torture,” Rogell said. “The law has created torture.”
Pro life my ass.
That was a really tough read. Heartbreaking.

The grandfather somewhat reminds me of the ethos of much of current Republicanism (we saw flavors of it during Trump's reign with things like spouses of Trump supporters being deported): "It's not a problem unless it happens to me, and if it does, how dare anyone to have allowed me to have helped it happen."
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I wonder how the woman Jordan Neely punched in the face when he robbed her is feeling about all this. It seems like the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree in these cases. Neely had an active warrant out for felony assault. It doesn't appear the honorable Soros appointed DAs of NYC were very interested in finding him. But oh no, we can't have vigilantes resisting theft and assault from these people. That's racism and selfishness. They should have waited for the police to handle it ultimately means get used to being robbed indefinitely and let the police report it as lost to avoid a drop in real estate values. But I guess Neely's 47 arrests is just evidence of systemic racism against blacks in far left Democrat ruled New York City.

Jordan Neely’s Uncle Arrested for Pickpocketing After Denouncing Daniel Penny

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023 ... iel-penny/

If people like Jordan Neely had mental illness to blame for his criminal behavior, why wasn't he committed to a mental institution instead of being free to roam the subways and terrorize people? It seems as though there aren't enough beds in the homeless shelters thanks to the Democrats open borders policy. But I guess with actual crazy people like the Neely family, the Democrat ground game fills out his voter form for him during ballot harvesting anyway. They're not accountable to the people they purport to help.
“I’m sitting on a train reading my book, and, all of a sudden, I hear someone spewing this rhetoric,” one eyewitness told Fox News. “He said, ‘I don’t care if I have to kill an F, I will. I’ll go to jail, I’ll take a bullet.’”
No this was just a harmless episode. Nobody should be entitled to resist someone like this on a subway car.
“I want this to go to trial,” Christopher said. “He has too much confidence in himself and has to be taught what he did was wrong.”

Christopher Neely also called for the two men who aided Daniel Penny to be prosecuted as well.

“They have to be held accountable,” Christopher said. “The Penny, the nickel and the dime should all be charged.”
Well at least Christopher Neely isn't as racist about this as Bragg, given he wants the black men who aided Penny in subduing Neely charged as well. I guess Bragg has more important things to deal with like, making sure Donald Trump doesn't get to run in the 2024 election,

Yeah, Penny needs to be taught that when someone comes to rob and kill you, you lie down and let him because in New York that's a civil rights violation against the black man's right to steal. When Christopher Neely comes to pick your pocket, you let him or Bragg will put you away in Rikers in a New York minute. New York justice, gotta love it. Well Yankess, don't say I didn't tell you so.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.