Modernism, Postmodernism, Meta-modernism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Modernism, Postmodernism, Meta-modernism

Post by honorentheos »

I came across this article that captures much of what I think lies at the heart of the OP; why meta-modernism is rising in cultural expression:

https://bigthink.com/thinking/anomie-er ... oneliness/

From the link:

While we might rail against or mock these social norms, they are also essential to our well-being. For Durkheim, what we’re seeing today is a life without them — a condition he labeled anomie (AN-uh-mee).

Anomie is the feeling that you do not belong. It’s when you are adrift, with nothing really to anchor you to other people or life more generally. We are so inured these days to rejecting all kinds of social or peer pressure. We are told, “Be yourself,” even if it means stepping away from the crowd. But, when we do so, we forget what psychological and existential benefits come from being in the crowd.

We are wired to live in societies, and we are happiest when we live alongside others, and a part of that means signing up to certain social norms and morals. We need to know what the rules are, and we need to treat them with the utmost seriousness. When we live our lives like some paragon of individualism — when we care not one jot for the rules — then we suffer because of it. We become depressed and lonely. For Durkheim, it might even lead to worse.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Modernism, Postmodernism, Meta-modernism

Post by Res Ipsa »

Interesting, Honor. Thanks for posting the link.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.