You're Wrong

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: You're Wrong

Post by honorentheos »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:40 am
The second point is that in the culture war, the religious right has gone so overboard over the threats to their family values that they wind up praising all things contrary to alternative lifestyles and women's rights, and the worse the example the better. And so Trump being a real man and "taking what was his", affirming the patriarchal role where the alpha treats women as his property not only trolls the left as in the first point I made, but the hyperbolic alpha masculinity, the "BDE" for all the Keri Lake supporters who are good Christians, creates something of a protective bubble around the Christian family core giving that much more buffer to ensure that friends and family members don't find themselves sympathetic to, and then exploited by the leftist plot to make people gay or trans. To be okay with Trump sexually assaulting women makes a person that much less likely to ever become gay or trans, in right-wing Christian thought.

When these points are understood, then it becomes very difficult to imagine how a right-wing Christian might be dissuaded from Trump.
Caveat, haven't listened to the podcast.

I think it would be valuable to go back and look at how the narrative around Trump evolved leading up to the election in 2016 through his first year or so in office. I believe many more Republicans than many realize shifted from "hold your nose to get a Republican in office to get at least two conservative the Supreme Court justices", to "He must be doing SOMETHING right as the left is going nuts over him and clearly doing anything possible to try and get rid of him."
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:14 pm
… lethal coffee dose - 140 cups a day or so …
Well, that’s unfortunate news. Looks like I should cut back a bit.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Can you overdose on sniffing coffee? I can't stand the taste, but the smell drives me insane with happiness.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

Gadianton wrote:
Being a criminal and getting away with it both in the sense of avoiding prison but also maintaining power with his supporters is a big middle finger to the opposition.
I agree. I've also never been more convinced that deals with the devil are actually real.
Gadianton wrote:
To be okay with Trump sexually assaulting women makes a person that much less likely to ever become gay or trans, in right-wing Christian thought.

When these points are understood, then it becomes very difficult to imagine how a right-wing Christian might be dissuaded from Trump.
I think it's problematic to assign underlying motives to people for their choices. Especially for large swaths of people. Better to just take them at their word for what's motivating them.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Tim wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:46 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Being a criminal and getting away with it both in the sense of avoiding prison but also maintaining power with his supporters is a big middle finger to the opposition.
I agree. I've also never been more convinced that deals with the devil are actually real.
Gadianton wrote:
To be okay with Trump sexually assaulting women makes a person that much less likely to ever become gay or trans, in right-wing Christian thought.

I think it's problematic to assign underlying motives to people for their choices. Especially for large swaths of people. Better to just take them at their word for what's motivating them.
Most Trump supporters tell me its because "he's not a politician and he isn't politically correct."

I know they're full of crap, because this is the same Trump who ran in 2008 and 2012 and was laughed out of the primaries by the same people who now love him because "he's not a politician and he isn't politically correct."

The simplest explanation is the racism angle I mentioned before.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:30 pm
[...] this is the same Trump who ran in 2008 and 2012 and was laughed out of the primaries [...]
Other than Trump's 2000 Reform Party run, 2016 was the first time he officially ran in national primaries.

Incidentally, in 2008, he endorsed Hillary Clinton in the primary.

Fun fact on his 2000 run: One of the things he ran on was universal healthcare.

ETA: Ironically, in his NYT OpEd after leaving the Reform Party in 2000, he gave part of the reason as not wanting to be in the company of David Duke, and Pat Buchanan.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:41 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:30 pm
[...] this is the same Trump who ran in 2008 and 2012 and was laughed out of the primaries [...]
Other than Trump's 2000 Reform Party run, 2016 was the first time he officially ran in national primaries.

Incidentally, in 2008, he endorsed Hillary Clinton in the primary.

Fun fact on his 2000 run: One of the things he ran on was universal healthcare.

ETA: Ironically, in his NYT OpEd after leaving the Reform Party in 2000, he gave part of the reason as not wanting to be in the company of David Duke, and Pat Buchanan.
And yet Glenn Beck, Ben Shapiro, Ted Cruz, and the New York Times were wrong about Trump being a pro abortion Democrat that would govern as a moderate Democrat if elected. Maybe they confused Trump with Mitt Romney. Trump repealed Roe v. Wade, not GWB.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:20 am
Trump repealed Roe v. Wade, not GWB.
Actually, the Supreme Court repealed it, not Donald Trump.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:06 am
ajax18 wrote:
Trump repealed Roe v. Wade, not GWB.
Actually, the Supreme Court repealed it, not Donald Trump.
Yeah, but Ajax would argue that it was the vote of Ginni Thomas and the dark money of the Federalist Society which put it over the top. Oh, and somebody still owes Brett Kavanaugh a case of Coors!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
And yet Glenn Beck, Ben Shapiro, Ted Cruz, and the New York Times were wrong about Trump being a pro abortion Democrat that would govern as a moderate Democrat if elected. Maybe they confused Trump with Mitt Romney. Trump repealed Roe v. Wade, not GWB.
Yeah, who could've predicted that the guy who lies about everything and anything, and has absolutely no core ideology beyond narcissism and self-preservation would flip-flop on a core identity politic.

"I'm very pro-choice... I am pro-choice in every respect." ~Presidential Candidate, Donald J. Trump, Reform Party

Incidentally, you sure the angle you want to take here is that President Trump legislated through the judicial branch, and nominated people he knew would perjure themselves in confirmation hearings?