You're Wrong

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: You're Wrong

Post by Kishkumen »

Tim wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:24 pm
I'm a podcaster and I thought I'd share my work with all-y'all. I talk about anything that you're not allowed to talk about in polite company. I put quite a bit of work into my latest episode. It's about how there can no longer be a reluctant Trump voter.

https://thewrongpodcast.com/2023/05/epi ... ath-of-me/
Good job! I think the die is already cast, honestly, but convincing people to go with a different Republican than Trump is a worthy cause. Best to appeal to their practicality, right? If they really hate Biden, they ought to fear that selecting Trump will lead to another Trump defeat and another Biden victory.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Oh, wrong podcast. Okay I'll check below.

You should post a link to the MBR one on the main forum, would be a good one.
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:31 am
Oh, wrong podcast. Okay I'll check below.

You should post a link to the MBR one on the main forum, would be a good one.
I did. It's in Terrestial.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157602
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:18 am
Best to appeal to their practicality, right?
Some Shmo wrote:And that most of his voters are good people with morals! :lol: :lol: :lol:
These are two approaches. I'm a "honey attracts more flies than vinegar" guy. I think it's far more persuasive to appeal to people's morality than to tell them they have none.
Last edited by Tim on Wed May 31, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I agree with you. And, honestly, I know decent people who voted for Trump. I don’t understand how, as I never viewed him to be fit for the job in any way, but they did and I care about them.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Trump seems the worst, but I realize the Republican party could pick someone worse. Evangelicals have been enamored of Trump to such a degree that I've been astounded. How did they get around the morality issue? Has their outward piety been a continual scam? What makes them so susceptible to Trump's lies? Bridget Jack Jeffries is an Evangelical and has not drunk that Kool-Aid. What gives her immunity?

Besides doctrinal issues, Evangelicals seem to have much in common with right-wing Mormons.

By the way, the choice to fall off the edge of the flat earth map or stay stationary in the water with the sea monsters really is not the totality of choices. I know it seems limiting because Romney is the only honest Republican left, but if you accept the curvature of the earth, a whole new horizon opens up.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

Moksha wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:55 am
How did they get around the morality issue? Has their outward piety been a continual scam? What makes them so susceptible to Trump's lies? Bridget Jack Jeffries is an Evangelical and has not drunk that Kool-Aid. What gives her immunity?

Besides doctrinal issues, Evangelicals seem to have much in common with right-wing Mormons.
The more an Evangelical (that describes me as well) goes to church, the less likely they are to be interested in Trump. That being said, Evangelicals are just as prone to tribalism as everyone else. Most of them felt they were faced with a binary choice and made a choice. Once you make a choice you do anything you can to reject the idea it's a lesser evil.

If you think this is just a Evangelical thing, look into Juanita Broderick, and tell me how strongly Democrats "believe all women".
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Tim wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:56 am
Moksha wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:55 am
How did they get around the morality issue? Has their outward piety been a continual scam? What makes them so susceptible to Trump's lies? Bridget Jack Jeffries is an Evangelical and has not drunk that Kool-Aid. What gives her immunity?

The more an Evangelical (that describes me as well) goes to church, the less likely they are to be interested in Trump. That being said, Evangelicals are just as prone to tribalism as everyone else. Most of them felt they were faced with a binary choice and made a choice. Once you make a choice you do anything you can to reject the idea it's a lesser evil.

If you think this is just a Evangelical thing, look into Juanita Broderick, and tell me how strongly Democrats "believe all women".
"Democrats" never said anything about believing all women, full stop. That's a silly Right Wing talking point that smacks of whataboutism involving an allegation that took place decades before the "mee too" movement. You're upset because Democrats didn't hold that against Bill during the 2016 election by voting for a known rapist instead of Hillary? Trump also violently raped his own wife according to her sworn deposition in their divorce, and he has more than a dozen accusations of sexual assault pending. It shouldn't be difficult to understand the vast distinctions between one allegation against an Arkansas AG with political aspirations who had everything to lose by raping someone, and the repeated allegations against a billionaire celebrity who is on record saying his social status grants him the privilege to sexually assault women. I don't know for a fact anything that happened between Broaddrick and Clinton in the 1970's, but the fact that she only made this allegation 20 years later after he had served two terms in office, and the fact that she’d recanted her story an affidavit after being subpoenaed, should at the very least raise red flags for anyone taking the story seriously. But perhaps the biggest reason to reject her as a serious person is the fact that she openly supports Donald Trump, a known rapist! Trump gladly used her as a prop during the debates.

In any event, I don't know of any Trump voters who I can say are 'good people.' I like to give people the benefit of the doubt in general, but I've learned not to when it comes to politics. My own family who supports him will put on a charade about being good people to the general public, but behind closed doors they use the N word and express how they truly feel. They still crack jokes about Michelle Obama being a half ape; one of the most elegant, educated and respectful first ladies we've ever had. I can say the same is true for Trump supporters I knew at my previous employment as well as some neighbors here. I firmly believe the evidence supports the conclusion that Trump only became the Republican nominee because he tapped into the underbelly of Racist America. They came out of the woodworks to support him in droves. He scored very highly among uneducated white males in both elections. His cabinet was virtually all white. He empowered white supremacist movements. His appeal to his base is mostly about the hatred towards poor brown immigrants they've been conditioned to fear and hate over the years. Don't believe me? Then maybe try explaining the fact that Donald Trump washed out as a joke in the 2012 election. No one took him seriously. Even in 2015 he was well behind a dozen other GOP candidates. garnering less than 2% of Republican support. By mid summer of 2015 he leaped frogged over everyone by a wide margin. So what happened in the summer of 2015? It was his racist speech against Mexicans, and then when asked to apologize he doubled down on it. And then that was all she wrote. He's been their new messiah ever since.
The more an Evangelical (that describes me as well) goes to church, the less likely they are to be interested in Trump.
I highly doubt that. In my experience down here in the South, the more Church going you are, the more indoctrinated you are towards hating Democrats. Or "Demonrats" as they call us. Trucks with Trump flags on them litter the Church parking lots. When they're unable to justify supporting Trump on character, economics or moral grounds, they always fall back on the religious argument that he's prevented "killing babies" and sometimes God works in mysterious ways. Others genuinely believe he's called of God and knows the Bible cover to cover, despite his inability to cite a single passage he can call his favorite.

Even a local Catholic Church here that was once considered progressive felt it had to be politically correct to perform the national anthem before services. All of these Churches need to be taxed because they're fully engaged in the political process where they have no business being. They are instrumental in driving this huge wedge right through the heart of America. These are the idiots making a huge cultural ado about nothing over Target baby clothes, Budlight sponsorships, the non-existent war on Christmas, etc. Yesterday was Memorial day by our pool and we invited a dozen or so neighbors, and it took all of 20 minutes before everyone started arguing about Target and "wokeism" which none of them were able to define. I actually have to make an announcement to visitors before any kind of gathering at my house that we don't talk about religion or politics. But the Church goers are the worst, because they feel like it is their calling to set us all straight according to the BS they've been told by their pastors.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:37 am
Tim wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:36 am
What podcast did you listen to?!?
I listened to about 10 minutes of the latest podcast. I can't listen to any one person lecture for an hour unless I'm getting college credit for it.
(my bold emphasis)

Precisely.

If you want to be taken seriously by people who have many other interesting and valuable things to do than to watch some guy they have never heard of talking on screen, WRITE IT DOWN. I have developed rapid reading skills due to my work, and in 5 minutes or so of skimming the text of your talk I would be able to gather what your main points are, and whether what you have to say is worth my further attention.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tim wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:56 am

Yes, this is what keeps me away from the tribes. There is no limit to the hypocrisy. Bill Clinton is a scum bucket. Elevating him to the White House was a huge mistake. No wonder we ended up with Trump. And, as competent as I think Hillar Clinton is as a wonk and administrator, she was a horrible candidate whom her husband strapped us with for three decades.