This is fun - new UFO disclosure

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

This is fun - new UFO disclosure

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Source: https://thedebrief.org/intelligence-off ... man-craft/

The Reddit thread discussing it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/ ... ved_craft/

tl;dc - INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS SAY U.S. HAS RETRIEVED CRAFT OF NON-HUMAN ORIGIN

Disclaimer : I have no opinion to the credibility of sources or federal officials discussed.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: This is fun - new UFO disclosure

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:35 pm
tl;dc -
"tl;dc" = "too long, didn't concentrate?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Why did this guy go to The Debrief instead of to the New York Times? If he has the real deal, why mess around?

Maybe he's friends with someone at The Debrief, or doesn't like the NYT; maybe he figured the story would get covered by everyone soon enough anyway so he might as well let a little website have a moment of glory. Those seem like pretty small motivations, though, with alien contact at stake. If this isn't just another wacko story, having it come out bit-by-bit through obscure websites is going to make it take longer to convince everyone that it's not just another wacko story. Why would someone with the real goods want to mess themselves up that way?

If on the other hand this is just another wacko story, then there's an obvious reason why it hasn't come out first in the New York Times. Due diligence by an actual news organisation would quickly destroy it, while a soft launch in the internet bush league will give the author a few years of grifting.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:08 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:35 pm
tl;dc -
"tl;dc" = "too long, didn't concentrate?"
too long, don't care

yw
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Lol, I love X-files, and “Evil,” “Stan Against Evil” and Jordan Peele’s new Twilight Zone fill similar spaces, so I’m all in on this story. The best line from the Reddit link:
It should be illegal to be this stupid.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

UFOs are like people's personal gods. Only a tiny number of people can see them, and they always have dubious stories about the sighting.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:48 am
Lol, I love X-files, and “Evil,” “Stan Against Evil” and Jordan Peele’s new Twilight Zone fill similar spaces, so I’m all in on this story. The best line from the Reddit link:
It should be illegal to be this stupid.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was super amused by that thread, too. lol

There are some real enthusiastic, nay evangelical, types in the ET space. It’s kind of remarkable to see people latch onto something they can throw their faith into. When I was first reading the thread I told my wife this sort of thing seems to be a surrogate for people who’ve lost or never had that faith-itch in religion.

Hrm. I guess I do have an opinion about it after all.

- Doc

edit - cleaned up my typos, my iPad is getting cagey in its old age
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:32 pm
There are some real enthusiastic, nay evangelical, types in this ET space It’s kind of remarkable to see people latch onto something they can throw their faith into. WhenI was first reading the threa I told my wife this sort of thing seems to be a surrogate for people who’ve lost or never had that faith itch in religion.
Only if they never gained any critical thinking skills along the way, or perhaps never studied space long enough to understand how big it is.

I mean, the closest star system to us, Alpha Centauri is 4.37 lightyears away. That's the closest. So even if lightspeed travel is possible, and even if there's intelligent life in that star system, it would still take them over four years just to send us a probe. A quick google search yielded this:
Traveling at speeds of over 35,000 miles per hour, it will take the Voyagers nearly 40,000 years, and they will have traveled a distance of about two light years to reach this rather indistinct boundary (the halfway point between our sun and Proxima Centauri).
Unless some very advanced alien civilization has discovered space flight at faster than lightspeed, and has scoped out enough of the universe to have found us (also highly unlikely), we aren't getting any visitors soon.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I doubt it will go anywhere except circle as material for UFO podcasters.

Suppose the military does have a bunch of saucers and this guy's disclosure calls out all the right people and is correct about the locations. Suppose congress goes all in to investigate. Well, all the people in the backroom have time to get their stories straight and they'll just move the stuff to somewhere else.

I also wonder about to what extent urban legends get passed around within the world of deep security.

From the descriptions of the disclosure I've seen, this guy makes Bob Lazar look like a model of honesty if he's making everything up, given he names secret government programs and everything.

I watched a clip of him being interviewed and you never know I guess, but he didn't strike me as credible. He did a lot of suspense build-up in the way he answered questions. Especially when he carefully revealed the existence of bodies in addition to crafts.

In general, I have a hard time believing the US government has a huge number of crashed crafts. It can't be first to the scene every time, especially beyond its own borders, and if that many are crashing, then somewhere in the world somebody would get there first and get footage to YouTube before getting detained.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Yeah, the guy has a complaint about having been punished for trying to blow the whistle on UAP investigations not telling everything to Congress. He might have a legitimate complaint, or at least be able to get a former Inspector General to represent him in court, without anything he says about alien bodies or vehicles having even a shred of truth.

The handful of people that I've ever known who did any significantly secret work have all been very smart and very scrupulous morally. The US intelligence community is ridiculously big, though. There have been a few moles, and I'm sure there have been a few idiots. If a few of these folks have gone for money from Russia or China, it's not hard to believe that one might deliberately go for some domestic grifting with the American lunatic fringe, and consciously make up sensational stuff just to score some cash. And it's even easier to believe that somebody well-intentioned, but dimmer than they realise they are in spite of having Intelligence printed right there on their business card, could connect a bunch of dots that really do not connect, and believe they've found the truth that is out there.

The story has hit Slashdot as well as Reddit. The Slashdot reaction so far has been pretty different.
I was a teenager before it was cool.