Viva Las Vegas!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MsJack
Deacon

Viva Las Vegas!

Post by MsJack »

Today is my five-year anniversary and my husband and I are flying to Las Vegas for the weekend. I last went to Vegas with my first husband in 2004 in what turned out to be a disastrous trip. I also haven't traveled without kids since the honeymoon in 2018 (well, we went to his native Homer and my native Anchorage in 2019, but I was pregnant then, so I'm not sure if that counts as traveling without kids! :lol: ). So we've really been looking forward to this.

On the agenda:
  • Cirque du Soleil
  • Eiffel Tower Restaurant
  • Usher
  • Guardian Angel Cathedral (we're Protestant, but let's face it, we got nothing on the RCs for aesthetics)
  • Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay
  • Bugsy & Meyer's
  • I'll probably visit a local jiu-jitsu gym and get some rolls in
Any recommendations from my fellow MDBers? Any places that are quiet, contemplative, and non-touristy? We come home Tuesday and I've left plenty of room in the itinerary for relaxing and improvising.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Viva Las Vegas!

Post by Doctor Steuss »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:53 pm
Any places that are quiet, contemplative, and non-touristy?
Only things I can think of that fit this bill are outside of Vegas (but still close)... and also... outside. Like maybe Floyd Lamb Park (about 30-45 minute drive from the strip). Weather is perfect right now (sans rain... which is supposed to clear up today) for it.
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

I hate Vegas. I say leave and take the short drive to Zion
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:53 pm
I last went to Vegas with my first husband in 2004 in what turned out to be a disastrous trip.
Don't keep us in suspense. Why was it disastrous?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

If you manage to find a quiet and contemplative spot in Vegas, I should like to know where and what it is! I've only been there once for a wedding and was so happy to get back to the airport and get away from the grinding music I heard all that weekend! I'm obviously not a Vegas kind of person but I hope you both have a fab time of it!

Go to the Grand Canyon if you've never been!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I heard the Vegas Golden Knights won the Stanley Cup this week. I wonder if you'll be there for the parade.

I do like Vegas, but for me, it's a lot like New Orleans. I love to visit for maybe two days (maximum of three) before I need to get the hell out and recover. And that was when I was young. I haven't been to either in over 20 years. I have no idea how long I'd last these days.

Conserve your energy. You'll need it!

Happy anniversary. Have fun!
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Bugsy & Meyer's
The Golden Steer Steakhouse is also good. Being partial to gluttony, I would be drawn to the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesar's Place.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:28 pm
Bugsy & Meyer's
The Golden Steer Steakhouse is also good. Being partial to gluttony, I would be drawn to the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesar's Place.
I honestly thought COVID would see an end to all buffet style restaurants. I've personally been turned off them for years.

But, I heard recently buffet style restaurants are seeing a resurgence. So, ha! What do I know? My guess is that it's an reaction to inflation. Buffets are a great deal if you tend to eat a lot in one sitting. It's an awful deal if you eat right.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:03 pm
Don't keep us in suspense. Why was it disastrous?
(1) Accommodations. We went with the BYU dance team. The women all stayed in one hotel room in what was surely an enormous fire code violation. I slept on the floor.

(2) We were broke college students, so we didn't have money to do much. I had come under the promise that we would get time to walk around together after the competition, and that was all I really wanted. But that didn't happen because:

(3) His dance partner followed us around everywhere like a third wheel. I kept pointedly trying to spirit him away and she stayed glued to us. It turned out she was not just his dance partner, but his girlfriend.

And now, I have money to do things, my own hotel room, and a husband who seems to have not brought along his girlfriend. I'm only a few hours in and I'm already liking this visit to Vegas much better!
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Tim wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:48 pm
I hate Vegas. I say leave and take the short drive to Zion
Or, you could drive out to Vegas this weekend and we could finally meet in person . . .