I never spoke with him about his business dealings

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ceeboo
God

Re: I never spoke with him about his business dealings

Post by ceeboo »

Schreech wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:34 am
Fabricated quote deleted —RI
Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:25 am

Dude, that nerve is raw...
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Schrech,

You did not touch a nerve, You're actually quite boring and extremely childish. I am going to tell you why I decided to lower myself to your level of foolishness.

Someone with your intellect and critical thinking ability surely must have realized that there are consequences to how you have freely and totally abused the quote feature for your silly personal pleasures. Do you know what would happen if a board member was to use the search feature to see the collective history of posts that a board member has made? If someone was to search the posting history of Dr. Exiled for example, the post below would be included in their posting history.
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:59 pm

Yeah, you and I know he didn't really write that (funny huh?) But what about people that might read it a month from now? A year from now?

Do you believe that what you have done (several times in this thread already) is fair? Do you think that you have the right to impact what is credited to other people who post here? Do you care?

I do! That's one of the reasons why I think you're a damn fool!
Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:21 am
...and its raw. It sounds like you need a hobby, board nannying just doesn't seem to be in your wheelhouse....seems to make you angry...
ceeboo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:21 am
That's one of the reasons why I think you're a damn fool!
Lol, having you call me a fool is like having Ajax call me a racist...
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:46 am
Moderator note: altering or fabricating the text of a quote has a high potential for misleading the reader. Replacing the text with a meme or GIF has been used as a means of commenting on the original post for a long time in this forum and is generally understood as being a comment on and not a copy of the original quote. We think the potential for misleading the reader is much less in that case than changing the text. RI
Schreech, I guess you won! Congrats!

It looks like you are allowed to freely and flippantly abuse the quote feature for your own personal amusement and post things that suggest someone was the author when, if fact, you were. So yeah, you not only have the right to invent/change/create the posting history of any board member you want, you have the full support of the moderators to just that.

Hard to imagine, in my opinion, but I guess it is what it is.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:44 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Moderator note: altering or fabricating the text of a quote has a high potential for misleading the reader. Replacing the text with a meme or GIF has been used as a means of commenting on the original post for a long time in this forum and is generally understood as being a comment on and not a copy of the original quote. We think the potential for misleading the reader is much less in that case than changing the text. RI

It looks like you are allowed to freely and flippantly abuse the quote feature for your own personal amusement and post things that suggest someone was the author when, if fact, you were. So yeah, you not only have the right to invent/change/create the posting history of any board member you want, you have the full support of the moderators to just that.

Ceeboo, you have the same privilege.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:44 pm
ceeboo wrote:

Hi Ceebs,

That's not actually correct. Neither Screech nor any other poster can re-write your posting history. For as long as I've been registered on the board, altering quotes as a response to something someone said (usually ironically) has been been used and generally understood, not as a claim that the quote is accurate, but as a comment on or criticism of the quote. Generally, it's clear from context what is going on. We try to give members latitude to express themselves as they choose, as long as it is within the rules.

At some point, using this convention became an issue and we applied a general standard: don't alter or make up text unless you clearly identify that you've done so. Our concern was over readers being misled -- uses of this convention that weren't clear in context. Those kinds of standards work well when everyone makes a good faith effort to comply with the letter and spirit of the standard.

A few months back we had a significant amount of limits testing, which is shorthand for attempts to create posts that technically comply with the standard or rule. When that happens, we generally move toward a bright-line rule. The result of that is not that someone on the board wins and someone else loses. Everybody loses freedom of expression. The alternative is for us to spend hours and hours individually reviewing each new limits test. We don't have the time, and I personally don't have the patience.

So, we've ended up at don't change the other person's words. It's too easy for a reader to be misled and "clearly identify" apparently wasn't clear enough.

We don't think use of the quote feature the replaces the entire quote with a meme or a gif presents the same potential for misleading readers. Both the fact that we don't commonly converse using just memes and gifs and the fact that this has been used as a convention here for years indicates a low potential for readers to be misled.

It's also wrong to say that we "support" every action or post that is permitted. As I think you once correctly said to me, that's way too much mustard. ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:19 pm

Hi Ceebs,
Hey RI (Happy 4th)
That's not actually correct. Neither Screech nor any other poster can re-write your posting history.
Really? I am pleased to learn this and because it's you that is saying it, I am confident that this is correct. I was under the wrong impression/assumption.
It's also wrong to say that we "support" every action or post that is permitted. As I think you once correctly said to me, that's way too much mustard. ;)
Almost - I said "way too much mustard on that dog." :)

Thanks for taking the time to provide a clear explanation.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

About 4X more people at the Capital 4th of July than at the Trump Inaugural. That is because Uncle Sam has bigger hands. Performers Elmo and Cookie Monster are trustworthy and innocent of espionage or sedition.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ceeboo wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:46 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:19 pm
Hi Ceebs,
Hey RI (Happy 4th)
That's not actually correct. Neither Screech nor any other poster can re-write your posting history.
Really? I am pleased to learn this and because it's you that is saying it, I am confident that this is correct. I was under the wrong impression/assumption.
Almost - I said "way too much mustard on that dog." :)

Thanks for taking the time to provide a clear explanation.
Happy 4th to you. I’ll try to remember the “that dog” part next time. ;) I like the metaphor, so I might as well be accurate.

Thanks for your kind response.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.