I never spoke with him about his business dealings

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Schreech
CTR A

Re: I never spoke with him about his business dealings

Post by Schreech »

ceeboo wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:03 pm
LOL - Yes, "around these parts" people tend to "appreciate" things like: intelligence, critical thinking, the ability to read and comprehend, non-fictional evidence when accusing someone of a crime, the ability to actually learn and mold beliefs based on new information, etc....you know, things that seem foreign to blind faith cultists....
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. E,

Maybe I missed something, but the link you provided doesn't say anything about accusations regarding bank records. I'm open to any links those who believe the accusations may have merit wish to provide, but otherwise I have to start somewhere, if PolitiFact is too biased left, allow it temporarily until those who know more chime in.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2023 ... n-familys/

more details here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-over ... cusations/

Sounds like they've got a ways to go to make a case against Joe.

Here's what I don't understand from reading the accusations so far. Hunter has international businesses. This isn't against any rules and has been known for a very long time. International businesses take payments from foreigners. Why wouldn't they? The multiple shell companies and manner of payments in cases allegedly seem suspicious. Okay. Well, shell companies are used to accomplish ten thousand things often related to playing fast-and-loose with tax laws or laundering, other than buying political influence. So far no claims have been made about specific cases of political influence bought or money flows to Joe personally. Despite the suspicious manner of payments, no claims that the Biden kids have done something illegal have been made either.

One comment that stuck out was how unusual it was for children of the president to be so heavily paid by foreigners. Sure, but it's also unusual for a president to have a crack-addled son who adventures the globe wheeling and dealing. What would one expect to find with Hunter, presuming that there has been no political influence purchased by Joe, that is substantially different from what has been uncovered so far?

The other comment that stuck out was that Hunter can't possibly be so good at what he does that he secures all this business on merit alone. Possibly, I said as much in a previous post. Is Hunter a target for political influence? Absolutely. A huge target. Do I think, just gut feeling, that some of the foreign entities have tried to in some way secure political favors by doing business with Hunter and siblings? Probably. Influence is a multi-tier phenomena. In my world, which is drastically unimportant in comparison, I can accept lunch from a vendor or partner and certain low-value gifts, but anything above 200$ I would have to report, and the red lines are much stricter with foreign entities, which isn't on my radar anyway, but I do have to do yearly training on the rules. Certain kinds of advances or inquiries I'd be expected to report even if I didn't accept anything. I could rack up hundreds of dollars in free lunches with zero expectation to reciprocate anything. It's buying a "good feel". A good impression with the mere possibility of a good word from Hunter to dad with absolutely no other strings attached could be worth tens of thousands or vastly more.

Yeah, it sounds like there are fewer rules for politicians and family than there are for me, a nobody in comparison. The house would rightly think about ways of plugging up potential corruption, but we'll see what they do. I mean, glass houses and all. Kushner (cough), who by the way, not just a relative but part of the administration. Yeah, I'm sure he's a rocket scientist of a fund manager. A stats genius. Not to mention any favors done by the NRA or countless other lobbyists, business giving jobs and universities accepting unqualified children of politicians; it's going to be a big job.

Anyway, If China is trying to buy Joe's loyalty by setting up his children financially, so far it doesn't seem to be working.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

So far no claims have been made about specific cases of political influence bought or money flows to Joe personally. Despite the suspicious manner of payments,
What exactly was Hunter Biden's business providing his clients in China, Ukraine, and Romania?

And if you don't fire the prosecutor, you're not getting the $1 billion. And SOB, the Ukranian government fired the prosecutor.

"10% for the Big Guy." According to the whistle blower, Merrick Garland forbade the IRS from even asking questions about "the Big Guy."

Hunter Biden's text to his daughter, "If you ever have to provide for this entire family like I have over the past 30 years, at least I'll never make you give me half my salary like Pops did me."

Now contrast how Hunter Biden was treated for failing file a FARA form and how Paul Manafort was treated, by the media, by congress, and most importantly by a supposedly apolitical DOJ.
A good impression with the mere possibility of a good word from Hunter to dad with absolutely no other strings attached could be worth tens of thousands or vastly more.
It's more like hundreds of millions of dollars. And even if it's just a good word with the senator, former VP, or leading presidential candidate that's still influence pedaling.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Schreech wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:46 pm

Fabricated quote deleted
Yes, I know.

Please do not make up text and portray it as a quote. —RI
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Schreech wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:46 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:03 pm
LOL - Yes, "around these parts" people tend to "appreciate" things like: intelligence, critical thinking, the ability to read and comprehend, non-fictional evidence when accusing someone of a crime, the ability to actually learn and mold beliefs based on new information, etc....you know, things that seem foreign to blind faith cultists....
We concede to your amazingness sir
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:52 pm
Dr. E,

Maybe I missed something, but the link you provided doesn't say anything about accusations regarding bank records. I'm open to any links those who believe the accusations may have merit wish to provide, but otherwise I have to start somewhere, if PolitiFact is too biased left, allow it temporarily until those who know more chime in.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2023 ... n-familys/

more details here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-over ... cusations/

Sounds like they've got a ways to go to make a case against Joe.

Here's what I don't understand from reading the accusations so far. Hunter has international businesses. This isn't against any rules and has been known for a very long time. International businesses take payments from foreigners. Why wouldn't they? The multiple shell companies and manner of payments in cases allegedly seem suspicious. Okay. Well, shell companies are used to accomplish ten thousand things often related to playing fast-and-loose with tax laws or laundering, other than buying political influence. So far no claims have been made about specific cases of political influence bought or money flows to Joe personally. Despite the suspicious manner of payments, no claims that the Biden kids have done something illegal have been made either.

One comment that stuck out was how unusual it was for children of the president to be so heavily paid by foreigners. Sure, but it's also unusual for a president to have a crack-addled son who adventures the globe wheeling and dealing. What would one expect to find with Hunter, presuming that there has been no political influence purchased by Joe, that is substantially different from what has been uncovered so far?

The other comment that stuck out was that Hunter can't possibly be so good at what he does that he secures all this business on merit alone. Possibly, I said as much in a previous post. Is Hunter a target for political influence? Absolutely. A huge target. Do I think, just gut feeling, that some of the foreign entities have tried to in some way secure political favors by doing business with Hunter and siblings? Probably. Influence is a multi-tier phenomena. In my world, which is drastically unimportant in comparison, I can accept lunch from a vendor or partner and certain low-value gifts, but anything above 200$ I would have to report, and the red lines are much stricter with foreign entities, which isn't on my radar anyway, but I do have to do yearly training on the rules. Certain kinds of advances or inquiries I'd be expected to report even if I didn't accept anything. I could rack up hundreds of dollars in free lunches with zero expectation to reciprocate anything. It's buying a "good feel". A good impression with the mere possibility of a good word from Hunter to dad with absolutely no other strings attached could be worth tens of thousands or vastly more.

Yeah, it sounds like there are fewer rules for politicians and family than there are for me, a nobody in comparison. The house would rightly think about ways of plugging up potential corruption, but we'll see what they do. I mean, glass houses and all. Kushner (cough), who by the way, not just a relative but part of the administration. Yeah, I'm sure he's a rocket scientist of a fund manager. A stats genius. Not to mention any favors done by the NRA or countless other lobbyists, business giving jobs and universities accepting unqualified children of politicians; it's going to be a big job.

Anyway, If China is trying to buy Joe's loyalty by setting up his children financially, so far it doesn't seem to be working.
Would you hire the drug/sex addict to be on the board of your company unless he was related to your master? That's the issue. That's where the smoke comes from.

Also, as for Trump, hold him to the same standard. If he gave Kushner a cushy job, then let's not reelect him. He gave the order to kill Soleimani and should be held to account for that. Also, I suspect as many do that this clown is a wolf in sheep's clothing, only about himself, and not really for the tea party legacy. He is just a convenient leader.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote:What exactly was Hunter Biden's business providing his clients in China, Ukraine, and Romania?
Here's one of your big problems, Ajax, people in this country aren't guilty until they can prove they are innocent to you. You have a big committee now working on figuring that out. Until they figure it out, Hunter isn't guilty, and Joe isn't even on the table for guilt. As of right now, Hunter is under no obligation to disclose his business dealings to you.

If you think among other things, that Joe couldn't have built his wealth legally, well, as Canpakes pointed out, his tax disclosures are all there. Get to work. Or rather, why not Breitbart's senior editor? Might take more than scraping a few wiki articles and online screen scrapes though.
And if you don't fire the prosecutor, you're not getting the $1 billion. And SOB, the Ukranian government fired the prosecutor.
sorry, I don't follow.
"10% for the Big Guy." According to the whistle blower, Merrick Garland forbade the IRS from even asking questions about "the Big Guy."
The whistleblower it appears has a big stage now for whistle blowing, so we're listening.
Hunter Biden's text to his daughter, "If you ever have to provide for this entire family like I have over the past 30 years, at least I'll never make you give me half my salary like Pops did me."
Run it down and see if it equates to something real and illegal. Sounds like your party is fully committed to figuring it out. Although, right now, it sounds a lot like grasping at straws rather than following up on leads. But we're listening.
Now contrast how Hunter Biden was treated for failing file a FARA form and how Paul Manafort was treated, by the media, by congress, and most importantly by a supposedly apolitical DOJ.
there are plenty counter examples, showing that Hunter got treated more harshly than others in his place. Link if you've got something serious, but I think this one has run its course.
It's more like hundreds of millions of dollars. And even if it's just a good word with the senator, former VP, or leading presidential candidate that's still influence pedaling.
Okay, well I can only comment on the claims you folks are able to link me to, or that I can find based on the wording of your posts. The number I saw was 10 million, if there are claims about hundreds of millions than link them.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:02 pm
So, you think an exhibit that contains the direct testimony from the IRS whistleblower, but isn't exactly like how whatsapp appears, somehow makes the IRS whistleblower testimony less than?
It may not make the actual testimony ‘less than’, but it weakens the general Republican media case against either Biden, given that the image is a fabrication and could be completely misleading as regards the circumstances or the full content of the conversation. I’d think that this would have the potential to backfire against the folks hoping that the image would hurt Biden, with it instead painting Republicans as pushing fabrications.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:32 am
Would you hire the drug/sex addict to be on the board of your company unless he was related to your master? That's the issue. That's where the smoke comes from.
Which employment are you referring to?
Also, as for Trump, hold him to the same standard. If he gave Kushner a cushy job, then let's not reelect him.
You’re likely not drawing a comparison to Burisma, as that company wasn’t owned by Joe Biden.

But, if you’re worried about income ethics and/or nepotism, a President’s child may not need to be issued a salary to benefit from being given a position within the father’s administration, as illustrated by this article:

https://www.citizensforethics.org/repor ... ite-house/
Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump reported between $172 million and $640 million in outside income while working in the White House, according to an analysis of financial disclosures by CREW. It is impossible to tell the exact amount as the income is sometimes reported in broad ranges and cover four months of income before Ivanka Trump officially joined her father’s administration and nearly one month before Jared Kushner joined.

Both Kushner and Trump announced they would not take a salary while working for the government in an attempt to shut down nepotism concerns. While their supporters marked this as a public sacrifice, the massive amount of money they made on the side undercuts that argument, as government salaries would have been less than 1% of their income.

One major factor in their outside profits came from Ivanka Trump’s ownership stake in the Trump Hotel in DC, just blocks from the White House and the locus of influence peddling in the Trump administration. Before business slowed down due to the pandemic, the couple paid a combined 23 visits to the hotel. All told, Ivanka made more than $13 million from the hotel since 2017, dropping from about $4 million a year between 2017 and 2019 to about $1.5 million last year, at least in part due to the pandemic. On top of the drop in revenue, there’s an unexplained drop in the value of her ownership. Having previously claimed it to be worth between $5 million and $25 million, in her final disclosure she listed it as only worth $100,000 to $250,000. She did not report selling any of her ownership share in the hotel.

The hotel was far from Ivanka Trump’s only controversial source of income while working in the White House. In 2018, Ivanka announced she was shutting down her namesake brand, and she later filed a disclosure with the government that “[a]ll operations of the business ceased on July 31, 2018.” But we discovered that she still made up to $1 million from it in 2019 despite the fact that she claimed it no longer existed.

While after four years it’s still a little hard to tell what, exactly, Ivanka actually did in the White House, her tenure was still marked by repeated scandals revolving around potential conflicts of interest with her businesses. While dealing with foreign governments can raise obvious questions for the children of presidents, getting financial or other benefits from foreign governments while working as a senior staffer in your father’s administration should be an obvious non-starter. But when it comes to Ivanka’s time in the administration, getting foreign trademarks to use after leaving the White House may have been her biggest accomplishment.

Just a month before her father was elected president, Russia renewed two trademarks for Ivanka Trump’s business. This would be the start of a pattern. In 2017, Ivanka’s business won preliminary approval for three Chinese trademarks on the same day that she dined with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago. In May 2018, Ivanka’s business was awarded “registration” approval from the Chinese government for five trademark applications, with an additional one getting “first trial approval.” The same week, President Trump announced he would try to save jobs at ZTE, the Chinese telecommunications giant closely tied to the government. A month later, Ivanka’s business got registration approval for three more Chinese trademarks, on the same day her father announced he’d lift sanctions against ZTE.

Ivanka’s business applied for Japanese trademarks the day after her father won the presidency. They were approved around the time of Mike Pence’s visit to Japan where he met with then-Prime Minister Abe. Ivanka also met with Abe, along with her father, about a week after her company applied for the trademarks. She won approval for additional Japanese trademarks in 2017.

In what would become the defining scandal of her time in office, in October 2018 Ivanka’s brand won 16 new trademarks from the Chinese government, including for voting machines. These approvals came about three months after Ivanka announced that her brand was shutting down, and mark the largest number of new Chinese trademarks she received in a single month during the Trump presidency. Six months after the company officially shut down, it received a new trademark to sell the Ivanka brand in Canada. In all, CREW found at least 28 foreign trademarks approved for Ivanka Trump while in the White House.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. E wrote:Would you hire the drug/sex addict to be on the board of your company unless he was related to your master? That's the issue. That's where the smoke comes from.
Isn't that what I just said?

I will point out one other thing though. While after reviewing the website, it seems obvious that having a well-connected international name to float to potential investors in the international mergers business would explain Hunter's value perfectly, he also apparently invested 400k+ later on, which equated to a 10% share of the business itself. It's not necessarily a privilege to invest in venture capitol. I've had more than one "good buddy" offer me an opportunity, and hell yeah, for 10% I too could be on the board of directors of some rando startup out there.