Fox News' Next Potential Settlement/Liability?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Fox News' Next Potential Settlement/Liability?

Post by Doctor Steuss »

It appears Ray Epps may be gearing up to sue Fox News for their part in spreading the conspiracy theories that have resulted in him and his family being the target of right-wing nutters.
Michael Teter, a lawyer representing Epps, sent Fox News network a cease-and-desist letter, demanding an on-air apology and a retraction of the conspiracy theory, the Times reported.

Teter told the Times that Fox did not respond to their suit, and a lawsuit is being prepared against the network.

Experts have said that Epps’ potential case against Fox News could have standing and become a real issue for the conservative news network.

David D Lin, an attorney at Lewis and Lin LLC Internet Law Counsel, told the Guardian that Epps’ lawsuit against Fox could be viable and present a potential issue for the network.
Guardian Link

If a suit against Fox were successful, would it pave the way for suits against others, such as Trump, and Massie? Or, would it be too difficult (and expensive) to prove any substantial financial damages?
Vēritās
God

Re: Fox News' Next Potential Settlement/Liability?

Post by Vēritās »

God I hope he sues the hell out of them. Twitter is fraught with people insisting he's FBI and the fact that he's fled in hiding just bolsters their belief in that BS.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:18 pm
It appears Ray Epps may be gearing up to sue Fox News for their part in spreading the conspiracy theories that have resulted in him and his family being the target of right-wing nutters.
From the article:
Carlson repeatedly argued that Epps was recorded on camera urging others to enter the Capitol, but never entered the building himself.
So, a right-wing nutter has been the target of right-wing nutters?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:36 am
Carlson repeatedly argued that Epps was recorded on camera urging others to enter the Capitol, but never entered the building himself.
Yup. Epps is (or was, rather) a stop-the-steal Trumper.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
This happens all the time. As soon as someone does something even remotely adversarial to Trump, he turns on them like a rabid squirrel. That's one right-wing nutter targeting another.

I doubt the acronym RINO has been used in history as much as it's been used in the last few years to describe sane, non-conforming Republicans.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:20 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
This happens all the time. As soon as someone does something even remotely adversarial to Trump, he turns on them like a rabid squirrel. That's one right-wing nutter targeting another.

I doubt the acronym RINO has been used in history as much as it's been used in the last few years to describe sane, non-conforming Republicans.
I think it's fair to say that extreme, radical movements tend to eat themselves. Who had MTG's expulsion from the Freedom Caucus on their 2023 Bing Card? The only question is whether they destroy themselves before they inflict significant collateral damage.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:15 pm
God I hope he sues the hell out of them. Twitter is fraught with people insisting he's FBI and the fact that he's fled in hiding just bolsters their belief in that BS.
Where will Mr. Gun confiscation Piers Morgan work if Fox News goes broke? The woke at CNN ate him for failure to be far enough to the left a long time ago.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Fox News being successfully sued for its lies could lead to many other lawsuits.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

The Dominion lawsuit proved undeniably that Fox is a propaganda outlet that deliberately tells its audience lies and that the audience likes to be lied to.

Fox is the ultimate "safe space" for ignorant morons who hate America because most of us aren't fundies.