The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Despite a barrage of motions that would delay the trial, jury selection starts Monday.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:40 am
Despite a barrage of motions that would delay the trial, jury selection starts Monday.
They explained about the all the motions (I think 78?) in the Meidas Touch that I just linked to. The man's flipping out.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Anyone know if the upcoming trial will be televised? I haven't seen mention of that anywhere.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

No TV.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It's dumb but smart at the same time. Putting contradictions out there this obvious is a good tactic for training that portion of the base which hasn't caught all the winky-winkies yet. What Trump is saying, and what 90+ percent of Trump voters agree with, is that what Trump does is right and legal, and what his opponents do is wrong or illegal, even if it's the exact same thing.

The typical Christian base is steeped in Divine Command Theory -- the idea that what God says is right, full stop. If he says kill today and don't kill tomorrow, both actions are right because God done said it.

Speaking of criminality, Trump may have a new criminal angle to play. Now that he has his own stock, has has something new to lie profusely about in order to keep people like Ajax vested, but that could put him at major odds with the SEC. Ajax, why not sell your gold and buy DJT? Trump himself has been endorsing it like crazy lately saying it basically can't lose. Don't you believe him? How about you Doubting Thomas? According to Yahoo Finance, it's a buy long-term. And I have to say, the technicals don't look bad to me, it's way, way up over the last few months still. Don't say I didn't give you an opportunity to get rich.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I remember when a lawyer for the US Army finally asked Sen. Joseph McCarthy, "At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

If Trump were asked that question he would reply, "Dignity, I don't need no stinking dignity. You need no dignity when you are a MAGA President".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I’ve always wondered why that line damaged McCarthy so much. He seemed powerful and famous, then he suddenly lost influence and was over, and the only explanation I’ve seen for his fall is that question in the Senate. Why couldn’t he just shrug it off and keep going?

You get the impression that Americans then—even politicians—had enough decency themselves to just recognize what a slimer McCarthy was, once someone pointed it out, in an “emperor has no clothes” moment.

I suspect it wasn’t really that way, and that McCarthyism collapsed for a bunch of other reasons that had been building for a while. Joseph Welch’s outraged question symbolized the turning point but didn’t cause it.

Perhaps it did contribute to it. Perhaps the right soundbite, at the right time, can push something over an edge.

I wonder whether a line like Welch’s could do even that much today.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Trump vs Taking Heads: Going to jail, same as it ever was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSuregWhlWk
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here is a link to the prosecution's motion to hold Mr. Trump in contempt for violating the court's gag order: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... empt-filed
he/him