The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Just because you know we're going to need one. Right now, we're looking at:

Micheal Cohen hush money. This case in New York state court. Trump's lawyers tried to have it removed to federal court, but a federal judge held that the federal courts had no jurisdiction over the case. So, back to the state court.

Documents. This case is filed in the U.S. Court for the Southern District of Florida, assigned to Eileen Canon. A confidential hearing this week was held to address the issue of getting security clearances for Trump's lawyers. Then scheduled trial date is this December. (Under a schedule generated automatically by the court system.) Trump's lawyers requested the trial date be moved to after the 2024 election. The government asked for some kind of safeguards be put in place to prevent Trump from disclosing information from confidential government docs.

Attempted Overturning of the 2020 election. Trump has a received a target letter, which means we can expect announcement of an indictment next week. I expect it will be filed in D.C., as the events occurred while Trump was president. I'm guessing this will be a conspiracy case, with a number of defendants. Criminal charges have already been filed in Michigan against the slate of fake electors who were part of the scheme.

Election Interference (Georgia). The attorney general indicated that she expects to announce an indictment next month. A Grand Jury appears to be hearing evidence now. An information grand jury (which cannot indict) issued a report recommending criminal charges against several individuals.

Have I forgotten any case or investigation?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Re: The Trump Criminal Case Megathread

Post by Some Schmo »

There are also the civil cases, no? Jean Carroll is suing him for defamation again and I think Michael Cohen is suing him for something else.

Although maybe those don't count as "criminal cases?"
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:02 pm
There are also the civil cases, no? Jean Carroll is suing him for defamation again and I think Michael Cohen is suing him for something else.

Over 4,000 (according to wiki) legal proceedings and this is who the GOP thinks should be leading this country. Could you imagine what these butt gerbils would be saying if Biden had 4,000 legal proceedings under his belt?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:02 pm

Yes, those are civil cases, not criminal cases.
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:47 pm
I am getting to the point where my memory is shot even though I watched a report on this very issue today, but it seems you missed a few - possibly three. Regardless, a whole bunch of cases and the prosecution of this criminal syndicate does not need a bunch of made-up accusations like the Congressional Republicans gin up (is it gin or jin? Dr. McClelland uses jin and he is a smart guy) as a defense.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:

Micheal Cohen hush money. This case in New York state court. Trump's lawyers tried to have it removed to federal court, but a federal judge held that the federal courts had no jurisdiction over the case. So, back to the state court.

Documents. This case is filed in the U.S. Court for the Southern District of Florida, assigned to Eileen Canon. A confidential hearing this week was held to address the issue of getting security clearances for Trump's lawyers. Then scheduled trial date is this December. (Under a schedule generated automatically by the court system.) Trump's lawyers requested the trial date be moved to after the 2024 election. The government asked for some kind of safeguards be put in place to prevent Trump from disclosing information from confidential government docs.

Attempted Overturning of the 2020 election. Trump has a received a target letter, which means we can expect announcement of an indictment next week. I expect it will be filed in D.C., as the events occurred while Trump was president. I'm guessing this will be a conspiracy case, with a number of defendants. Criminal charges have already been filed in Michigan against the slate of fake electors who were part of the scheme.

Election Interference (Georgia). The attorney general indicated that she expects to announce an indictment next month. A Grand Jury appears to be hearing evidence now. An information grand jury (which cannot indict) issued a report recommending criminal charges against several individuals.

Res, do us a favor and rank these cases by strength for the prosecution.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best for the prosecution, I put them like this:

Documents: 10
Georgia: 9
Election interference: 7
Hush Money: 6
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:10 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
I am getting to the point where my memory is shot even though I watched a report on this very issue today, but it seems you missed a few - possibly three. Regardless, a whole bunch of cases and the prosecution of this criminal syndicate does not need a bunch of made-up accusations like the Congressional Republicans gin up (is it gin or jin? Dr. McClelland uses jin and he is a smart guy) as a defense.
I did a little reading and couldn’t find any more. There is a fraud case in New York involving business records, but it’sa civil case. I’m pretty sure it’s “gin.”
he/him

Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Another possibly on the distant horizon. Some criminal out of New Jersey that Trump commuted the sentence for is being charged again. That along with the Rudy G news about selling pardons might suggest this guy might have some things to say to lessen a second sentence. Distant horizon compared to the other cases but one to put a pin in.

https://apnews.com/article/eliyahu-wein ... 3187006187

Also Trump might be looking at state charges on any of the fake elector schemes besides Georgia. It appears he was also talking to Doug Ducey personally in AZ and also reaching deep into the Electoral College looking for EC votes even as far as New Mexico.
Last edited by Bond on Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:24 am
Res Ipsa wrote:

Res, do us a favor and rank these cases by strength for the prosecution.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best for the prosecution, I put them like this:

No idea, really. There are too many known unknowns for me. We only have the indictments in two of the four. Because the documents case involves classified documents, we don’t know what some of the most importance evidence is. I really haven’t paid attention to the hush money case.

Once the indictments are all out and any legal challenges have been heard, we may have enough information about the cases to get a good feel for their strength.
he/him

Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:24 am

The Document case seems like 11/10 at this point particularly the doc related to the Atomic Energy Act which can only be declassified through statute.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump- ... 023-06-18/