The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

Post by Chap »

Nicely put, I think, and wonderfully calculated to cause Trump to waste lots of energy and time in impotent rage:

‘He’s nothing’: E Jean Carroll says ‘we don’t need to be afraid’ of Donald Trump
Former Elle writer says $83.3m defamation ruling shows Trump – who she compared to a walrus snorting – ‘can be knocked down’

Enjoy:
The Guardian 30 January 2024

E Jean Carroll says the $83.3m awarded to her in her defamation case against Donald Trump shows “we don’t need to be afraid” of the former president.

“It was an astonishing discovery for me – he’s nothing,” Carroll said on Monday night on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show. Comparing Trump to “a walrus snorting” and “a rhino flopping his hands”, the former Elle magazine columnist added: “He can be knocked down.”

The jury in Carroll’s case against Trump in federal court in New York decided on Friday that she deserved $65m and $18.3m in punitive and compensatory damages, respectively, after defamatory statements the presumptive 2024 Republican White House nominee made against her over allegations that he sexually abused her.

Those damages were in addition to an award of about $10m against Trump in May, when another jury held the ex-president liable for sexually abusing Carroll in a department store changing room in the mid-1990s.

Carroll spent Monday making the rounds on the national media circuit, first appearing on ABC’s Good Morning America and pledging to give money from her judgment to something Trump “hates”, such as “a fund for the women who have been sexually assaulted by him”.

She also said on Good Morning America that she was terrified to confront Trump in open court alongside her attorney but ultimately came to realize that he was like “an emperor without clothes”.

Carroll revisited that theme in her later conversation on Maddow’s show.

“Three, four days before trial, I had an actual breakdown,” Carroll told Maddow. “I lost my ability to speak, I lost my words, I couldn’t talk and I couldn’t go on … That’s how frightened I was.”

But Carroll reiterated her imagination was worse than anything she encountered.

“Amazingly, I looked out, and he was nothing,” Carroll said to Maddow. “He was nothing. He was a phantom. It was the people around him who were giving him power. He himself was nothing.”

Carroll also joked to Maddow that she would take her shopping for a new wardrobe and buy her a penthouse with some of the money Trump had been ordered to pay up.

Elsewhere on Friday, Trump went on Truth Social after the decision came down and fumed about how the US court system was “out of control”.

He also said he intended to appeal the verdict awarded to Carroll, which came in the middle of his legal problems seemingly multiplying.

Not only has other civil litigation in New York put his business practices under scrutiny, he is also facing more than 90 criminal charges in various jurisdictions. Some of those charges include attempting to forcibly overturn the results of the 2020 election, illegally retaining government secrets after his presidency, and giving hush-money payments to an adult film actor who has alleged an extramarital sexual encounter with him.

Carroll and her lead attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said on Monday on Good Morning America that they were confident they would collect Friday’s judgment against Trump.

“I think we planted our flag,” Carroll added on MSNBC. “I think we’ve made a statement that things are going to be different – that there is going to be a new way of doing this in this country.”
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Cliff Notes: Trump possibly committing fraud, while being monitored for committing fraud, while being charged with committing fraud. Because... Trump.
Jones’ letter also gained attention for noting in a footnote that while Trump recorded a $48 million loan for his tower in Chicago, the Trump Organization told her such a loan “never existed”
Forbes Link
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:22 pm
Cliff Notes: Trump possibly committing fraud, while being monitored for committing fraud, while being charged with committing fraud. Because... Trump.
Jones’ letter also gained attention for noting in a footnote that while Trump recorded a $48 million loan for his tower in Chicago, the Trump Organization told her such a loan “never existed”
Forbes Link
This is why the GOP wants to keep the IRS underfunded. It leaves the IRS with insufficient resources to take on wealthy folks who commit tax fraud, meaning that enforcement will fall on the not-wealthy. Then it can complain about how the IRS targets the middle class. It's the classic GOP strategy -- prevent government from effectively doing its job, then use the poor performance as an excuse to cut the government.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Fraud Alert. I mean, verdict watch.

Expected tomorrow.

A judge holds the fate of Trump’s empire: What to know about the coming verdict

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/30/politics ... index.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

IG Report on mishandling of medications in the Trump White House.

https://media.defense.gov/2024/Jan/09/2 ... SECURE.PDF
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:43 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:22 pm

Forbes Link
This is why the GOP wants to keep the IRS underfunded. It leaves the IRS with insufficient resources to take on wealthy folks who commit tax fraud, meaning that enforcement will fall on the not-wealthy. Then it can complain about how the IRS targets the middle class. It's the classic GOP strategy -- prevent government from effectively doing its job, then use the poor performance as an excuse to cut the government.
Yes, this has been obvious to me for years now.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Ex-Prosecutor Spots Donald Trump Court Moment That Was A 'Litigator's Dream'

I love Glenn Kirschner's comments:
Kirschner then pinpointed the moment that could have cost Trump dear, when he stormed out of the courtroom during closing arguments.

“When we think about the fact that every court in the land really in every jurisdiction has rules against disrupting the proceedings and as they were arguing to the jury that, ‘Donald Trump is a liar who seems to believe the rules don’t apply to him,’ what does he do? Jumps up and leaves court in a huff. Doing what? Disrupting the proceedings,” he said.

“You know, that’s a litigator’s dream when an opponent behaves like that,” Kirschner added. “I probably would have said, ‘Ladies and gentlemen, I would love to invite Mr. Trump back into the courtroom, slap an exhibit sticker in his head because he is exhibit 1, proving precisely the point we were arguing to you.’”
The self-destructive stupidity of Donald Trump is often astonishing! But not quite as astonishing to me as how many people were and still are foolish enough to vote for him, nor as astonishing as how many otherwise seemingly articulate and educated adult politicians, who surely ought to know better, are too cowardly to oppose him!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:48 pm
Fraud Alert. I mean, verdict watch.

Expected tomorrow.

A judge holds the fate of Trump’s empire: What to know about the coming verdict

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/30/politics ... index.html
Probably going to be a delay on this decision since it looks like Weisselberg is about to admit to perjury. It never ends with these people.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Heads up. Michael Cohen predicts that Judge Engoron will render his decision in the Trump NY fraud case tomorrow between 2-3 p.m. EST.

Cohen knows stuff. That's all I'm saying.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Two of the criminal trials have trial dates:

NY State court (hush money): March 25
Florida Federal Court: (documents): May 6
D.C. Federal Court: (election conspiracy): on hold, pending decision from the Supremes on motion to stay Court of Appeals rejection of presidential immunity defense.
Georgia State Court: (RICO): no date set. Judge is hearing motion to disqualify/dismiss for prosecutorial misconduct.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.