The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: The Trump Criminal Case Megathread

Post by huckelberry »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:43 pm
Morley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 pm
The starting positions of white's King and Queen have been transposed (white Queen should occupy a white square). Woke messaging noted.
what kind of joke is this, open with pawn to queen three? (pardon the old fashion notation I have not played in years) Such a timid opening leaves room for Trump to win. I almost imagined McNaughton was behind the image thinking he perhaps finally figured out how to get the coal and sulfur out of his pallet.

I realize that different openings have become more popular in past decades so I checked online for modern irregular openings. There was discussion of rook pawn to three to open but no queen or King pawn to square three. Someone might open that as an insult perhaps.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Morley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 pm
<Snip Pic>
He's the best at 4-D chess. Believe me, a lot of people are saying it. Bigly.

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

So far, Trump's grift Political Action Committee, Save America, has spent $56 million in legal fees for Trump and his allies.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The Superior Court in Georgia issued its order denying Trump's motion to suppress the investigative Grand Jury report, hold the report unusable if he is prosecuted, and replacing the District Attorney.https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... udge-1.pdf

If you read it, the footnotes are priceless.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:11 pm
The Superior Court in Georgia issued its order denying Trump's motion to suppress the investigative Grand Jury report, hold the report unusable if he is prosecuted, and replacing the District Attorney.https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... udge-1.pdf

If you read it, the footnotes are priceless.
The footnotes are hilarious. Reminds me of nursing notes written about a unreasonable demands from a patient and/or their family. I imagine this will be a treat for future law school students.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Father Francis wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:24 am
The footnotes are hilarious. Reminds me of nursing notes written about a unreasonable demands from a patient and/or their family. I imagine this will be a treat for future law school students.
I agree, they really are funny, and you don't have to be a lawyer to see that.

The fact that legal actions undertaken by a former President (and would be Presidential candidate) are so clearly foolish and devoid of solid basis that the court treats them with such openly displayed - and clearly justified - ridicule in addition to the sober mechanics of legal judgement is deeply concerning. And inspection of this document makes it clear that Trump and his lawyers amply deserve such a response.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

He's the best at being indicted. Believe me. A lot of people are saying it. Big, beautiful indictments.
Former President Donald Trump -- already facing two indictments -- now faces a third set of charges after a grand jury handed up a wide-ranging indictment against him, alleging he undertook a "criminal scheme" to undermine the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Prosecutors say the alleged scheme, which allegedly involved six unnamed co-conspirators, included enlisting a slate of so-called "fake electors" targeting several states, using the Justice Department to conduct "sham election crime investigations," enlisting the vice president to "alter the election results." and doubling down on false claims as the Jan. 6 riot ensued.

The six alleged co-conspirators include several attorneys and a Justice Department official.
Link

Gosh, that almost sounds like a weaponization of the DOJ. What's the saying again? Something about every accusation being a confession?

ETA: Not finding a copy of the indictment itself. :-/
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Analytics wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:35 pm
Here is the indictment itself:

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/ ... 2/full.pdf
Thank you duderino!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Analytics wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:35 pm
Here is the indictment itself:

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/ ... 2/full.pdf
One significant new fact: Mike Pence kept contemporaneous notes. Including Donald Trump telling him "you're too honest" after Pence told him he didn't have the authority to change the results of the election.

ETA: Paragraphs 70-85 are particularly damning. Co-conspirators 1 (Giuliani), 2 (Eastman), and 4 (Clark) are also in a world of hurt.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.