The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

Post by Doctor Steuss »

"Employee 5" from the classified docs indictment has come forward, and did an interview.
Butler a.k.a. E5 wrote: I think American people have the right to know that this isn’t a witch hunt…
Which, of course, is exactly what a deep state plant would say.

Link to The Independent, for a bit of a summary
Link to CNN Interview
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Trump's Hush Money trial in N.Y. state courts, scheduled to start on the 25th, will likely be delayed by 30-90 days, because of late discovery provided by the U.S. DA's office for the Southern District of New York.https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... les-notice

Over a year ago, the state DA requested from the SDNY all documents related to its criminal prosecution of Michael Cohen. The SDNY provided some, but not all, of its records. The records that were provided were turned over to Trump's defense attorneys.

In January, Trump's attorneys served the SDNY DA with a subpoena for the same records. The SDNY requested several extensions of time to comply with the subpoena, which Trump's attorneys granted. On March 4, the SDNY produced 73,000 documents in response to the subpoena. Trump's lawyers moved for dismissal for discovery violations or a continuance of the trial date. The response to Trump's motion is due today. Yesterday, the SDNY produced another 31,000 pages of documents, and said it expected to produce additional documents next week.

Trump asked for a 90 day delay in the trial. Bragg, the prosecutor, asked for 30 days. I don't see any grounds for dismissal, as Trump never claimed that Bragg hadn't complied with his duties as prosecutor when he requested the documents last year and turned what his office was given over to Trump"s lawyers. But I'd be shocked if the judge didn't continue the trial date in light of the volume of documents produced this month and the promise of more to come next week.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:23 pm
Trump's Hush Money trial in N.Y. state courts, scheduled to start on the 25th, will likely be delayed by 30-90 days, because of late discovery provided by the U.S. DA's office for the Southern District of New York.https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... les-notice

Over a year ago, the state DA requested from the SDNY all documents related to its criminal prosecution of Michael Cohen. The SDNY provided some, but not all, of its records. The records that were provided were turned over to Trump's defense attorneys.

In January, Trump's attorneys served the SDNY DA with a subpoena for the same records. The SDNY requested several extensions of time to comply with the subpoena, which Trump's attorneys granted. On March 4, the SDNY produced 73,000 documents in response to the subpoena. Trump's lawyers moved for dismissal for discovery violations or a continuance of the trial date. The response to Trump's motion is due today. Yesterday, the SDNY produced another 31,000 pages of documents, and said it expected to produce additional documents next week.

Trump asked for a 90 day delay in the trial. Bragg, the prosecutor, asked for 30 days. I don't see any grounds for dismissal, as Trump never claimed that Bragg hadn't complied with his duties as prosecutor when he requested the documents last year and turned what his office was given over to Trump"s lawyers. But I'd be shocked if the judge didn't continue the trial date in light of the volume of documents produced this month and the promise of more to come next week.
When it comes to cases with this volume of documents, do you know how they are generally handled by the parties? I can't imagine that the are reviewed solely by people -- or are they? Or is it more of a "scan, digitize, and have software tag anything with certain key terms" type gig?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:23 pm

When it comes to cases with this volume of documents, do you know how they are generally handled by the parties? I can't imagine that the are reviewed solely by people -- or are they? Or is it more of a "scan, digitize, and have software tag anything with certain key terms" type gig?
My best guess is that all of this production will be reviewed by people. Trump subpoenaed them because he thinks that something in the documents will help his defense. Without looking at each document, the prosecution would not be able to know whether it potentially benefit Trump.

Documents are usually produced in the form in which they are kept, including labels on folders. So, it’s often possible to review a few documents in a file and conclude they aren’t relevant. According to the leading I linked to, the prosecutor’s office has already reviewed the first production and identified only around 700 relevant to the case. However, it also says that the second batch has a much higher percentage of relevant documents.

You really can’t rely on an OCR to catch important docs because handwriting on the documents is often important. And using a staff of coders to create an index that includes topics risks missing an issue you hadn’t thought of in advance.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

In a surprise to no one, Nathan Wade has resigned from the prosecution team in the Georgia RICO case.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

In a filing last month, Trump's lawyers asked that the bond amount be reduced to $100 million, but today’s filing argued he shouldn't have to put up any bond at all.

Anyway. He can’t get the $464M, although his supporters handed him $1.3M for some stupid reason since he said he had the money and they believe he’s a billionaire. He has one week and then NY can start seizing his property and sell it off. They should start with his plane.

Personally I’d start with the sneakers because those thing are fly as “F”.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

judge Cannon in the Florida documents case published a head-scratching order yesterday. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .407.0.pdf

I'd love to explain it, but having the parties draft jury instructions when she has motions to dismiss pending and no trial date is, in my opinion, bizarre.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Just my humble opinion, but part (b) still doesn’t authorize a President to keep secret documents in their possession, even if they classify it as personal. Fine, call it personal, but it needs to reside in a SCIF, that’s Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, if it hasn’t been vetted through proper channels to declassify it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

March 25th the state of NY begins seizing “F” Face McMushroomdick’s assets.

If they seize those shoes Imma buy a pair.

- Doc
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:02 pm
Just my humble opinion, but part (b) still doesn’t authorize a President to keep secret documents in their possession, even if they classify it as personal. Fine, call it personal, but it needs to reside in a SCIF, that’s Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, if it hasn’t been vetted through proper channels to declassify it.

- Doc
That's part of what I find baffling about the order. Trump has moved to dismiss on the basis that the PRA and his authority as President gave him the power to both to determine which records are personal and which are presidential and to declassify documents through the power of his thoughts. That motion is fully briefed. Both are issues of law that a judge has to decide. She needs to buck up and tell the parties what the law is -- that's literally her job.

Ordering the lawyers to draft hypothetical jury instructions as some kind of exercise to help her decide motions based on the law is beyond bizarre.

It's like she goes out of her way to telegraph that she's way, way, way out of her depth.
he/him