Greatest Movies of All Time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Greatest Movies of All Time

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:58 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:15 pm
STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE

That movie has everything. It's entirely perfect in its scope and execution.
I think Dr. Shades might be right. It's the only movie I've watched dozens of times, and will watch again, and again, and again...

That's a good indicator of a movie's greatness, I suppose.

- Doc
Of course Star Wars should be on anyone's list, but I maintain that Empire Strikes Back was even better.

And of course, who can forget The Phantom Menace? (Ok... I shouldn't even joke about that).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:48 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:58 pm
I think Dr. Shades might be right. It's the only movie I've watched dozens of times, and will watch again, and again, and again...

That's a good indicator of a movie's greatness, I suppose.

- Doc
Of course Star Wars should be on anyone's list, but I maintain that Empire Strikes Back was even better.

And of course, who can forget The Phantom Menace? (Ok... I shouldn't even joke about that).
You joke, but plenty of Star Wars fans will choose that hill to die upon.

The prequels were a travesty and we deserve a public apology.
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

1) Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse now
2) Legends of the Fall
3) Raiders of the Lost Ark
4) Sound of Music
5) Kelly's Heroes
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

So many good movies. After thinking about movies I really loved I would add the following:

The Deer Hunter

The English Patient
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:18 am
1) Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse now
2) Legends of the Fall
3) Raiders of the Lost Ark
4) Sound of Music
5) Kelly's Heroes
I've watched the first three all recently (I did the director's cut of Apocalypse Now), and I agree. Legends of the Fall might be Brad Pitt's best performance (although I'm still a sucker for his role in 12 Monkeys).

Sound of Music is a movie I saw as a kid, so I can still watch it today, although it's been a really long time since I've seen it. I've never seen Kelly's Heroes.
yellowstone123 wrote:The Deer Hunter
Oh man. I remember that movie - talk about a show that was incredible to watch that I doubt I'd ever do again. Christopher Walken still haunts me from that movie.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

1 - Rob Roy. Liam Neeson is good, but Tim Roth and Brian Cox make the movie as the bad guys. The blade fights are proper. Click clack, swish swish you're dead. Best line; Rob (Liam) to Tam Sibbalt (cattle thief) as retold later by Robs brother - "tell your crew to lay down and I'll only cut your throat."

2 - True Grit. (the original) I'm not a John Wayne fan and Glen Cambell's acting is weak, but I give him a pass, it's Glen Cambell. And it was my dads favorite movie. Fav line; "fill your hands you son of a bitch."

3 - The last of the Mohicans. Daniel Day, Wes Studi. Michael Mann directed. Great soundtrack. Proper blade fights. Good line; " The Grey hair's children were under Magua's knife. They escaped. They will be under it again."

Dunkirk. Some call this movie a little slow. No. Not. The scenes replayed from diff. persectives is great, and I really like the acting of Mark Rylance, the captain of the small yacht.

The rest -

Anything Daniel Day - There will be blood, Gangs of New York.

Michael Mann directed - Thief, Heat. Manhunter.

Ronin - De Niro, Stellan Skarsgard. Stellan is great in this movie.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

dantana wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:27 am
Dunkirk. Some call this movie a little slow. No. Not. The scenes replayed from diff. persectives is great, and I really like the acting of Mark Rylance, the captain of the small yacht.
I watched that for the first time recently. I thought it was a masterpiece. Great pick.

Morley
God

Post by Morley »

dantana wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:27 am
1 - Rob Roy. Liam Neeson is good, but Tim Roth and Brian Cox make the movie as the bad guys. The blade fights are proper. Click clack, swish swish you're dead. Best line; Rob (Liam) to Tam Sibbalt (cattle thief) as retold later by Robs brother - "tell your crew to lay down and I'll only cut your throat."

2 - True Grit. (the original) I'm not a John Wayne fan and Glen Cambell's acting is weak, but I give him a pass, it's Glen Cambell. And it was my dads favorite movie. Fav line; "fill your hands you son of a bitch."

3 - The last of the Mohicans. Daniel Day, Wes Studi. Michael Mann directed. Great soundtrack. Proper blade fights. Good line; " The Grey hair's children were under Magua's knife. They escaped. They will be under it again."

The rest -

Anything Daniel Day - There will be blood, Gangs of New York.

Michael Mann directed - Thief, Heat. Manhunter.

Ronin - De Niro, Stellan Skarsgard. Stellan is great in this movie.

Great list, dantana.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:00 pm
Phew. This is a difficult question to answer. Even if I reframe it as my favorite movies rather than attempting to assess which movies are the greatest the temptation is there to engage in just about every form of self deception. I have movies I remember fondly from youth that didn't hold up (Tron, anyone?). And there are movies that impacted me that I wouldn't recommend to anyone else. Example, Lars Van Triers Melancholia which I find beautiful and which captures some kind of truth otherwise not seen in film, in my opinion. But is it a great movie? No.

I've watched the Coen Brother's O, Brother, Where Art Thou? probably more than any other movie, and could rewatch it right now and feel it was time well spent. One of the greatest? It's very good, quotable, but when I get together with film geeks we don't talk about it.

I saw Oppenheimer on the Friday of its opening weekend. I participate in a bar trivia game on Mondays with a few coworkers, one of whom loves film and we spent over a half hour after everyone else went home discussing it. Did I love it? Yeah, both as narrative device and as film. Is it a great film? Hmmm. I don't think it will be seen that way years from now. I could talk about it for hours, though.
Honorentheos, It is interesting to see peoples lists but it might be fun to discuss them a bit. I find my own list questionable, subject to easy change so discussion is not a argument but more of what did you see.

I thought about O Brother, I have long had some interest in that music. It was an odd journey with visionary qualities . I checked Roger Ebert comments and found they matched my thoughts for better or worse.
All of these scenes are wonderful in their different ways, and yet I left the movie uncertain and unsatisfied. I saw it a second time, admired the same parts, left with the same feeling. I do not demand that all movies have a story to pull us from beginning to end, and indeed one of the charms of "The Big Lebowski," the Coens' previous film, is how its stoned hero loses track of the thread of his own life. But with "O Brother, Where Are Thou?" I had the sense of invention set adrift; of a series of bright ideas wondering why they had all been invited to the same film.
(inviting any further observations)
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Thank you for the thumbs up, SS and Morley! Fun thread.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh